Fantasy University Floor Plans

keithcurtis

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Fantasy University Floor Plans

Would you be willing to post a larger resolution version? 2x or 4x would be much easier to make out the details.

Either way, these are some really nice maps, you did a great job.

TB

Ask and ye shall receive. 200%

Keith "I'll keep these on the Hero site for a week or so" Curtis

Ask and ye shall receive. 200%

Keith "I'll keep these on the Hero site for a week or so" Curtis

Keith, why not upload them to a directory on your website & link them, so they can stay up indefinitely? Or, if you don't have the space to do so, I'd be happy to give them a home for that purpose.

Where's Tira Tower? or Beka Hall? Did you forget that I am the center of your universe?:P

I created the whole dang world for you to play in, O Light of My Life.

me.*

*What, I'm going to use my full name plus quotes talking to my wife?

I'll probably put them up permanently. I was just too lazy to fire up my ftp program.

Keith "Thanks, though" Curtis

I so understand you sentiments.

I find it easier to open my webmail, browse the file on my computer, uploaded it the webmail and then save it to a directory than using an FTP program.

There are alternatives as well - maintain a Wiki on your site, or write your own PHP to handle files.

Something to handle file uploading and so you don't have to bother with rewriting pages to link to the files.

For example - I use a PHP program to generate the index page on my campaign site, I just dump a file there with some metadata, and it sorts it for me. Puts in a last updated date, and labels the most recent with a "new" icon.

Normally, I let GoLive just update the site based on the local folder. Quick, painless, automatic and invisible.

The server I use recently started requiring sftp, which GoLive CS can't do. (CS2 can, but I just recently upgraded and am not going to do so again soon.) So I have to fire up my ftp program to upload all changed files.

Keith "It works" Curtis

Here's a profile view of the Hall, along with a few other structures.

Keith "Fantasy Architect" Curtis

You should do something like this city of Cauldron Sketch Map (from Dungeon magazine's Shackled City Adventure Path). I think this kind of impressive work really drives home the city's appearance to the players in a way a map can't quite touch.

Thanks, that's a really cool map. I've done a few 3d sketches, but my command of composition while doing perspective is shaky. The closest I have come is the city illustration for Tallon:

tallon.jpg

I have a rough sketch for the Archon's palace I'll see if I can dig up.

Keith "That kind of mapping is real work" Curtis

Works for me. Honestly, I usually leave out restrooms on RPG floorplans. It's not realistic, but how many time do we hear about Aragorn or Captain Kirk on the pot? Nothing kills the feel quicker. I imagine the tower rooms could have some subdivision; they're pretty big. Alternatively, a cell on either side of each hallway could be devoted to the bathroom for that section, one on each end. That would be 16 bathrooms per floor, in addition to whatever might exist in the towers. More than enough. Of course, the plumbing would be excellent.

Maybe for you. I'm not putting anything of mine near that. brrr...

Keith "comments and crits welcome" Curtis

Ironically though, we do see restrooms in some scifi (B5 and Firefly), so it isn't entirely devoid either. I'm trying to think of fantasy examples other than Willow, but I'm coming up with zip at the moment.

If you don't put any restrooms in you get flak from some folks, if you do, you get flak from others. Damned if you do... yada yada. Not doing so is therefore fine. My thinking is that it is a design element that has to be taken into consideration because it will sometimes have a radical effect on the rest of the architecture. As most of my maps are intellectual exercises, I place them for that reason alone. I actually err on the other side. If anything, I feel that I place too many restrooms in my maps. My girlfriend says I put more than (male) building designers and less than what there should be, so I guess I am in a happy medium.

Of course, because these are fantasy maps, there are all sorts of other things to consider. A bathroom as we would understand one makes no sense, it is like putting in a telephone nook. The medieval examples of 'restroom equivalents' are relatively disgusting as general alternatives. Also, it is certainly possible that chamberpots and spongebaths are all the rage, because there is some reality to that as well. Think about under stairs (for places with plumbing, using that rising space for something) and notches along thick walls that face cliffsides or something similar.

After all, there are reasons that invaders didn't swim the moat.

Ironically though, we do see restrooms in some scifi (B5 and Firefly), so it isn't entirely devoid either. I'm trying to think of fantasy examples other than Willow, but I'm coming up with zip at the moment.

If you don't put any restrooms in you get flak from some folks, if you do, you get flak from others. Damned if you do... yada yada. Not doing so is therefore fine. My thinking is that it is a design element that has to be taken into consideration because it will sometimes have a radical effect on the rest of the architecture. As most of my maps are intellectual exercises, I place them for that reason alone. I actually err on the other side. If anything, I feel that I place too many restrooms in my maps. My girlfriend says I put more than (male) building designers and less than what there should be, so I guess I am in a happy medium.

Of course, because these are fantasy maps, there are all sorts of other things to consider. A bathroom as we would understand one makes no sense, it is like putting in a telephone nook. The medieval examples of 'restroom equivalents' are relatively disgusting as general alternatives. Also, it is certainly possible that chamberpots and spongebaths are all the rage, because there is some reality to that as well. Think about under stairs (for places with plumbing, using that rising space for something) and notches along thick walls that face cliffsides or something similar.

After all, there are reasons that invaders didn't swim the moat.

Who gives people flack over putting latrines into a fantasy floor plan?

Seriously, it's the absence of latrines that I notice people making comments about far more often.

TB

Who gives people flack over putting latrines into a fantasy floor plan?

Seriously, it's the absence of latrines that I notice people making comments about far more often.

TB

GOO boards, some prelim designs I had for a Castle Amber. I've actually been told once here that putting in restrooms was "icky"

I agree that it isn't even, but it has happened.

Thanks, that's a really cool map. I've done a few 3d sketches, but my command of composition while doing perspective is shaky. The closest I have come is the city illustration for Tallon:

tallon.jpg

I have a rough sketch for the Archon's palace I'll see if I can dig up.

Keith "That kind of mapping is real work" Curtis

That's a beautiful image!