WWYCD: Benevolent Overlords

Dr Destroyer threatens the world yet again, this time with an orbitting space station which he claims will allow he and his lackeys to maginfy their powers to globe spanning levels.

A team of superheroes know as the Benevolent Seven was last seen heading for the space station.

A few hours later everyone in the world hears the same message in their heads.

"We, the Benevolent Seven, have become unhappy with how ther governments of the world have been acting in recent years. We have therefore decided to use our abilities, now magnefied to global levels, to rule the world in their stead."

Suddenly a shield of force covers the sky then every WMD on the planet disappears. A minute later excess food disappears from First World stores and appears in houses in the poverty stricken areas of the world. Every person in the world is instantly cured of any malady they have and criminals disappear off the street and appear in prison.

What does your character do?

Re: WWYCD: Benevolent Overlords

While I am fine with WWYCD threads, there are some on the boards who are not. Two in one day by the same poster is apt to annoy them. :)

Also, I notice that the preponderance of WWYCDs recently have been global-level threats, or at least national-level threats. What about all our poor street-level characters, languishing for something they can actually have a hope of tackling? :P

That said...

Soulbarb: Yeah, right. These guys seem awfully arbitrary. What happens when they make inevitable mistakes? However, it's not like there's a lot she can do about it. Go home and fret, I suppose. If the government tries to contact her, she might go along with it, if they have a plan that seems plausible... but she's not real fond of suicide missions, so they'd better have a GOOD story.

Cerulean on the other hand is not really all that concerned. In fact, he'd probably quietly approve, at least until such time as the Benevolent Seven start making mistakes. He's not native to this world anyway and wouldn't consider himself to be subject to their rule per se; moreover, he comes from a meritocracy himself, and if the Benevolent Seven have a history of making good judgement calls and acting in the best interests of those they protect, he'd be willing to give them a chance. Of course he's well aware that power and leadership ability at the tactical level do not a world ruler make, and that the people of earth might genuinely prefer this strange democracy concept they're used to and would chafe under the Benevolent Seven. He'd probably try to arrange a peaceful dialogue between the governments and the Benevolent Seven to hash things out and decide where the Benevolent Seven's mandate ends and local government begins -- after all, no matter how powerful, the Benevolent Seven can't possibly attend to every detail. And, if the Benevolent Seven need some advice on how to rule a world well and justly, Cerulean has experience in the matter...

If the Benevolent Seven start making the same mistakes repeatedly and/or not listening to good advice and suggestions from himself and from those they have chosen to govern, then they have crossed the line, and will have proven they do not merit the power of governance they have assumed. At that point, he'll reluctantly start talking with the governments of the world about the contingency plans that they had set up for this eventuality.

Uncle Slam would say, "My, what a shame". He'd then wait to see what happens next, because for openers, that was pretty good. If this doesn't escalate into something horrible then he's likely to even drag his feet a little on investigating.

Anthem is too low league for them.

Audra Blue would begin the to track satellite transmissions and other stream upon which data enters and exits their base so that she can begin the job of hacking into their facility. This is a "just in case" scenario; She wouldn't take up an offensive on her own. But she wants to know how to get some heroes in, in case this turns ugly quickly.

Also, I notice that the preponderance of WWYCDs recently have been global-level threats, or at least national-level threats. What about all our poor street-level characters, languishing for something they can actually have a hope of tackling? :P

If I happen to think of a good street-level thread in a day or three (I've already posted two WWYCD in the last week, so need to pace myself) I'll see what I can do.

Kira Midori: Uh, "criminals" by which set of laws? Remember, many dictatorships have laws that make opposing the government in word or deed illegal. Even in the USA, there's a lot of people who break the laws in petty or "harmless" ways every day. If everyone who happened to possess an ounce of marijuana or an illegally downloaded song is instantly transported to prison, that's massive overcrowding right there. As a police officer, Kira will be part of the emergency cleanup determining just why all these people are suddenly in prison and where the heck they're all going to be warehoused. (I'll presume that the BS will simply teleport the "criminals" back to prison if we free them pending due process.)

All Characters Would use any available contacts to find out more about the Benevolent Seven. Do they seem to be the type that would try this? If not, two possibilities, (1) Dr Destroyer has captured/killed/mind controled the Benevolent Seven, he is still the one in control but is using them for misdirection. (2) Flypaper. The station is designed with an area effect aid to all powers, and a penetraiting mind control. Any metahuman going their has an overwhelming desire to ttake over the world. Which attracts the next team, but win or loose another team will come along aftet that. The station could be a sticky-trap where the heroes check in, but don't check out.

Millennium Will try a long shot. "The Benevolent Seven are nothing but common thieves. They have stolen food from it's rightful owners and given it to others. No matter how lofty their motives, they are still thieves. They belong is Stronghold." Pushing Presence and hoping to nail the persuasion roll. Transmit that on as many news channels as possible.

Cheeta depending on how they defined "criminals," may be wishing he had packed a "get out of jail free" card in his gauntlet.

Iron Eye, um, Will free of myasthenia gravis, he takes his first unassisted breath in five years, stands up for the first time in his life, and considers letting it go. Then he does the clairvoyance thing to see what is happening on the station, and if he can turn off the mind controler and/or power amplifiers from the ground.

Snow Leopard will sign up for the next team going up to the station. Anyone trying to mind control the grandaughter of Victor Creed will regret it.

Dolphin "hears the same message in their heads." Great. Telepaths. Probably absolutely gongeous, butch, hard-muscled ones. If they survive this, he will definitely want to meeet them. If there is mind control, Dolphin thinks he's likely to be immune. Not only does he have hardeded mental defense, but he has a zen belief that everyone must balance their own karma. Needs to find someone who can fly, or better yet teleport him to the station, where he will go kamakazi on it. If his powers are amped a single punch will probably be enough to breech life support and make anyone there abandon station. Even if not amped, repeted shock waves should shake everything to pieces.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest daeudi_454

Firedrake: "Well, good. Now all I have to do is sleep and hunt demons."

Ion: Positive: Attempt to contact, determine if they are secretly working for destroyer, etc. Negative: Volunteer.

Quantum Cat: Send some of his ghosts to investigate. Seeing as how they can barely possess normals, they pose no threat to the B7 other than as spies. If they really are Benevloent, this won't be an issue.

The PC: "Wait a minute... I saw this on Justice League... what were they.. oh yeah, the 'Justice Lords' ... no, this won't do. not at al..."

Special Agent Trent: experiences excruciating pain for the duration of the telepathic broadcast, and probably destroys something before he passes out. After he comes to, he'll be happy to help when the United States government calls him in, as the "Benevolent Seven" have just gotten themselves on his bad side.

Dolphin "hears the same message in their heads." Great. Telepaths. Probably absolutely gongeous, butch, hard-muscled ones. If they survive this, he will definitely want to meeet them. If there is mind control, Dolphin thinks he's likely to be immune. Not only does he have hardeded mental defense, but he has a zen belief that everyone must balance their own karma. Needs to find someone who can fly, or better yet teleport him to the station, where he will go kamakazi on it. If his powers are amped a single punch will probably be enough to breech life support and make anyone there abandon station. Even if not amped, repeted shock waves should shake everything to pieces.

A complete aside, but Dolphin has to be one of the coolest Aquaman homages / aquatic heroes I've seen.

Style- A few divination spells will determine something of what's going on in the space station. A "take over the world" scheme can only end in massive bloodshed and loss of human life if it isn't stopped. Style will do what he can to locate and destroy whatever function of the satelite is granting this power boost. As he has no technical skills of his own, he'll have to find some help. After that, he'll try to deal with the Seven using sniper tactics and/or any allies he has managed to gather. He doesn't have the raw power to face even one Galactic level foe toe-to-toe, but he does have all sorts of missile reflection and deception options.

Flesh Gordon[flies up using the strato ship, the rest of the Beach Patrol on board]

"Hands up! You're all under arrest! Ow!"

[Flies backwards through bulkhead.]

"Hey, there's no need to be cruel. Heh! You missed me! Ow! OK, that one didn't.

[Flies backwards through bank of computers and space station wall into space. By pure luck, the computers he flew through controlled the power boosting equipment. Even luckier, Flesh managed to grab a live cable and uses it to haul himself back into the station. His costume is burnt away. The explosive decompression has knocked out all of the Beach Patrol and two of the Benevolent Seven]

"Ladies, gentlemen, come along quietly now. Hey, aren't you Wonder Babe? Ow! Ow! Urgh!"

[Captured, Flesh is chained, still nude, in a storage room. Wonder Babe enters the room. Scene goes dark.]

"We could never have freed the others from Destroyer's control without you, Wonder Babe."

[The two embrace. Scene goes dark.]

[six months later, on Earth]

"Hey, Wonder Babe! Great to see you again! Weren't you in jail? Ow!"

[Flies backwards through brick wall]

"Still angry, baby?"

[Hit by thrown car]

"Ow."

Guest daeudi_454

Flesh Gordon [Flies backwards through bank of computers and space station wall into space. By pure luck' date= the computers he flew through controlled the power boosting equipment. Even luckier, Flesh managed to grab a live cable and uses it to haul himself back into the station.[/quote]

Good, there's air out here.

Guest daeudi_454

The current Flesh won't notice little things like high radiation or lack of air.

No, literally, he won't notice. That's his life support SFX. :)

Sorry, when I saw that movie, that single line had me ROTFLMAO. literally.