Variable Summoning.

ParitySoul

Here is a classic video game trope. You meet interesting mystical creature X and he forms a pact with you.

During battles you can for a few rounds summon him to your roster to throw a big magical punch or a few physical ones.

Your roster of summons grows as you meet more and more of these creatures.

Now the SUMMON power works best here...but what modifications would you use to simulate the growing pool of ally critters?

Re: Variable Summoning.

If these are like the Video Game Summons where you get the creature and it deals damage, but can't be attacked back you're really looking at an Offensive Power, and not a Summon.

If the creature can be attacked back then a Summon Multipower or using the Advantage "Expanded Class Of Beings" on the Summon works best.

The Expanded Class of Beings Advantage is what you need.

I have a character I made a while back with a concept similar to this. She had the ability to summon avatars that would fight for her in combat, and had a few additional minor spells (no offensive abilities though, her only offensive ability was to summon avatars). I didn't use Summon though. Instead I used Duplication. That way, I didn't have to worry about loyalty, and I got to play the "summoned" creatures instead of them being NPCs.

If you want to proceed along the lines ghost-angel suggested and follow in the Final Fantasy vein of summoning, here is a character linked in an older thread about building a video game style summoner where the "summoning" aspect is just the special effect of other powers:

http://www.killershrike.com/MillennialMen/CharacterFiles/Mythic/Mythic_KSv1.HTML

Props to Killer Shrike, or whoever he plays with who came up with this character. He is freaking cool.

If you want to proceed along the lines ghost-angel suggested and follow in the Final Fantasy vein of summoning, here is a character linked in an older thread about building a video game style summoner where the "summoning" aspect is just the special effect of other powers:

http://www.killershrike.com/MillennialMen/CharacterFiles/Mythic/Mythic_KSv1.HTML

Props to Killer Shrike, or whoever he plays with who came up with this character. He is freaking cool.

A prospective player wanted to play a classic summoner using the Summon power in online game. I didnt want to deal with a bunch of extra character sheets and all the extra actions that would have derived from the Summon in that environment so I made that version of the character instead.

Everyone else thought it was cool, but the player opted not to play the character. Can't please everyone all of the time......

Since the player was disinterested in the concept, the character was never finished -- that version is basically a prototype with a few bugs that I'm aware of but which didnt get smoothed out with further revision. You can even see my notes on the character's disadvantages and what not intended for the player to answer / resolve.

That summoner character is really cool, but the "summon flock of seagulls" power really scares me

It looks like the player meant little birdies, but when I first read it I saw a guy with the weird super combforward playing a synthesizer And I ran.... I ran so far away......

Yes, that was a bit of an inside joke ;) Many of the Power names are a little humorous.