Kong: the movie

ArmlessTigerMan

What a great movie! Depression-era New York and Skull Island are so beautifully realized, you'll be yearning for pulp adventure long before you leave the theatre...

I'm not sure what part of Kong's expressions are motion capture from Andy Sirkis, and what's computer generated, but Kong seems to emote as much as any of the other actors. Makes the end all the sadder.

Like Sky Captain, Kong is a period action flick with great effects. Unlike Sky Captain, Kong has good writing, directing, acting, and dialogue. So go out! See it now! This I command!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Kong: the movie

What a great movie! Depression-era New York and Skull Island are so beautifully realized' date=' you'll be yearning for pulp adventure long before you leave the theatre...[/quote']I wanted to run one before the opening credits finished. Though I have to admit that I would like to run an early Dark Champions style adventure over Pulp, but either way is good.

I'm not sure what part of Kong's expressions are motion capture from Andy Sirkis, and what's computer generated, but Kong seems to emote as much as any of the other actors. Makes the end all the sadder.
Kong rocks! I am going to watch this one at least once more in the cinema and it's on the DVD list. Unlike previous versions of King Kong, this one looks real and comes across as something that could actually be/have been out there somewhere, rather than a man in a monkey suit or some stop-frame puppet.

Like Sky Captain, Kong is a period action flick with great effects. Unlike Sky Captain, Kong has good writing, directing, acting, and dialogue. So go out! See it now! This I command!!!
Sky Captain was a bait and switch. Here I was hoping to see a movie about a Pulp era pilot with, ya know, his plane. What I got was a few minutes of his plane and a whole lot of poorly conceived plot and badly delivered lines. I suppose the overall plot was okay in that it was Pulp, but it was campy Pulp. Kong was very epic and might have fallen better under the Dark Champions/Action HERO genre a little better if it didn't include the whole Giant Monsters from Heck routine.

Sky Captain was a bait and switch. Here I was hoping to see a movie about a Pulp era pilot with' date=' ya know, his plane. What I got was a few minutes of his plane and a whole lot of poorly conceived plot and badly delivered lines. I suppose the overall plot was okay in that it was Pulp, but it was campy Pulp. Kong was very epic and might have fallen better under the Dark Champions/Action HERO genre a little better if it didn't include the whole Giant Monsters from Heck routine.[/quote']

Well, Pulp is actually more of an over-category, like Manga. Jackson's King Kong is a beautifully done Science-Fantasy Action-Lost World pulp. Dark Champions / Action Hero stories could also often fit in Pulp magazines; the Fantasy and Masked Avenger pulps are the ones that most people think about when they hear "Pulp", but there were plenty of straight Action pulps as well (and Detective, Romance, etc.).

Didn't think about that. I can't imagine trying to take Kong around the Horn.

Of course, maybe they had a big Kong show down in Panama. In 1938(?) who would know? A few telegrams would only serve to whet the public's apetite, and there was certainly a huge turnout for a guy who had warrants out on him.

My only quibble (and it's really counter-genre, I guess) is that the animal action was a little too intense to be believed. Why would a T-Rex with a huge dinner in his mouth would go chasing a little apertif of a girl? When the one stuck in the vines seems more concerned with eating Ann than saving his skin, the audience actually groaned a bit.

When the bugs started attacking in the canyon, my friend turned to me and said, "I can just see Peter Jackson at this point saying, 'More! More! Pile it on!'"

It seemed as if Skull Island was actally a huge mound of predators sticking out of the ocean. If I had been the mysterious wall-makers, I think my time would have been better spent building freaking boats.

That said, I still loved the movie.

Keith "Ninth Wonder of the World" Curtis

Why would a T-Rex with a huge dinner in his mouth would go chasing a little apertif of a girl?

Good point. Two quibbles then.

If I had been the mysterious wall-makers' date=' I think my time would have been better spent building freaking boats.[/quote']

Another good point, but I can rationalize that one as religion makes people do strange things.

Just heard Kong was number one this weekend, just over $50 million.

While I rationalized it in my write-up of Ann by giving her Superheroic amounts of PD, that initial sequence with Kong should have killed her. It didn't even leave any bruises. Really bugged me. Re-watched the original, and noticed that Kong was much gentler with her in that one; you could believe that Fay Ray had survived.

She was pretty acrobatic and might know how to relax her muscles properly. (shyeah, right , but I can suspend disbliefe easily enough on that one).

If you want to see something that can take some damage, look at the big dinos in the film. Drop an elephant off a ten foot cliff and see if he can get back up. Ever. Now look at the dinos. They bounce right up and keep running.

Keith "big animals don't fall well" Curtis

She was pretty acrobatic and might know how to relax her muscles properly. (shyeah' date=' right , but I can suspend disbliefe easily enough on that one).[/quote']

You can use her acrobatic skils to justify that massive PD in the write up. Just make it non-persistant. ;)

If you want to see something that can take some damage, look at the big dinos in the film. Drop an elephant off a ten foot cliff and see if he can get back up. Ever. Now look at the dinos. They bounce right up and keep running.

The Dinos had Breakfall as a racial skill.

OK' date=' [i']one[/i] small quibble. Sailing from New York to the location described, they had to go through the Panama Canal twice, both times with some highly questionable cargo. Yet that part of the voyage was so quick and easy as to not even rate a mention.

You are right. Other than this, it was a pretty realistic movie.

Wait a minute.....

It seemed as if Skull Island was actally a huge mound of predators sticking out of the ocean. If I had been the mysterious wall-makers' date=' I think my time would have been better spent building freaking boats.[/quote']

The World of Kong pretty much presents Skull Island as non-stop predators ranging from small fish-eating dinos to huge V. Rexes. There are plant-eaters, yes, but most everything gets by by eating something smaller.

BTW -- I intend to adapt World of Kong to HERO. A lot of it will require the HERO Bestiary as things like the V. Rex will basically be a series of modifications to the HB T. Rex.

(V. Rex? Velcro Rex? Do they really stick to anything?)