Kong: the movie

ArmlessTigerMan

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Kong: the movie

Presumably the real Kong would be a dwarf gorilla' date=' maybe the size of a baboon. He could have a fistfight with Driscoll. Imagine the thrills![/quote']

All the best adventures are ruined by too strict an adherence to reality. Like that time I was being chased by a howling mob of scimitar-wielding dervishes, which was actually just one kid with a stick.

One of the things I enjoyed most about the film was its reverent yet light-hearted bows to the original - from the "right wino" to the filmed scene on board to "killing off the first mate" to "can't get Fae; she's working on some pic for RKO." Obviously a labor of love - and I loved it (seen it twice already, probably will again).

Amusingly' date=' even if we ignore the vast gulfs of evolutionary time since T-Rex went extinct, species on secluded islands tend to evolve [i']smaller.[/i] Lucky for us, Skull Island plays by its own rules of science. ;)

Well obviously Skull Island is bigger on the interior than its coastline would lead one to believe.

Well obviously Skull Island is bigger on the interior than its coastline would lead one to believe.

According to World of Kong the island is roughly shaped like a hand and with a map scale of 1 to 50,000 measures 7.10 miles by 4.75 miles.

Amusingly' date=' even if we ignore the vast gulfs of evolutionary time since T-Rex went extinct, species on secluded islands tend to evolve [i']smaller.[/i] Lucky for us, Skull Island plays by its own rules of science. ;)

Not entirely true. Animals about the size of a rabbit or house cat, call it 5 kg at sexual maturity, stay about the same size. Animals larger that that get smaller, animals smaller that that get larger. The deer get tiny, the rats get huge.

Not entirely true. Animals about the size of a rabbit or house cat' date=' call it 5 kg at sexual maturity, stay about the same size. Animals larger that that get smaller, animals smaller that that get larger. The deer get tiny, the rats get huge.[/quote']

I highly recommend The SONG OF THE DODO: ISLAND BIOGEOGRAPHY IN AN AGE OF EXTINCTIONS by David Quammen for more information on the subject.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0684827123/qid=1135181697/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-5219940-4292130?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

The scary thing is' date=' if Denham could make a profit from it somehow he probably WOULD do that.[/quote']

No, if Denham THOUGHT he could make a profit from it, he would do it. But something will always go wrong and Carl will snatch defeat from the very jaws of victory.

Ah' date=' so the bug scene was realistic then. ;)[/quote']

Well, real nature came up with some pretty honking big insects back in the day. Three-foot dragonflies, beetles the size of basketballs. :eek: Who knows what else existed that we never found remains of?

It's kind of strange to think how many of the giants of the past have vanished from the modern world. I've always wanted to see a pteratorn (Greek for "wonder bird"), the largest flying predatory bird that ever lived. It became extinct during Man's Neolithic period IIRC. Built much like an eagle, except with a wingspan of around 24 feet. Standing upright it averaged six feet tall.

After watching the Kong remake,i realized that the theater where Kong was on exhibition is the restored Civic movie theatre,in Central Auckland.

(And yes,it really is like what is seen in the movie).

Yep, we recognised it as soon as it turned up - I'm glad they saved it. There used to be hundreds of theatres around the world done up as fantasies - castles, oriental temples, arabian tents, etc, but almost none of them survived. The famous Mann's chinese theatre in Hollywood is another of the rare survivors.

The Civic itself had a near death experience nearly being torn down to be turned into a boring office building.

cheers, Mark

My only quibble (and it's really counter-genre, I guess) is that the animal action was a little too intense to be believed. Why would a T-Rex with a huge dinner in his mouth would go chasing a little apertif of a girl? When the one stuck in the vines seems more concerned with eating Ann than saving his skin, the audience actually groaned a bit.

When the bugs started attacking in the canyon, my friend turned to me and said, "I can just see Peter Jackson at this point saying, 'More! More! Pile it on!'"

A counter-quibble. I wondered about this myself but then thought "Well, a T-rex has a tiny brain and a big belly - maybe it's simply programmed to chase and eat anything that looks tasty"

As for the bugs, the cave of the giant spiders was actually in the original Kong movie but was cut to shorten the film, so that's "homage" :D

cheers, Mark