Good Concepts, Bad Characters

Trained Chicken

There are a lot of DC and Marvel characters (well, mainly DCs) with cool powers, or a cool costume, cool name, or a cool backstory... and absolutely nobody has the slightest clue how to write them... or else, didn't for a long time before anyone figured out how to use them. (I'll leave Image out since they don't use writers.) Hawkman, Starman, Moon Knight, Darkhawk, Metallo, those Serpent Society losers, the Slug, the Ray, Amazo, Paladin (Marvel), Mysterio, Quicksilver, Damage all come to mind.

What characters are disappointments to you, and (if it isn't immediately obvious,) why?

Re: Good Concepts, Bad Characters

There are a lot of DC and Marvel characters (well, mainly DCs) with cool powers, or a cool costume, cool name, or a cool backstory... and absolutely nobody has the slightest clue how to write them... or else, didn't for a long time before anyone figured out how to use them. (I'll leave Image out since they don't use writers.) Hawkman, Starman, Moon Knight, Darkhawk, Metallo, those Serpent Society losers, the Slug, the Ray, Amazo, Paladin (Marvel), Mysterio, Quicksilver, Damage all come to mind.

What characters are disappointments to you, and (if it isn't immediately obvious,) why?

Hell, after a recent thread, Graviton. I thought he never made it big because he died. Nope, just in villain limbo. That's sad.

Monica Rambeau.

Fantastic and fairly original super power, good background (Lt in the New Orleans Harbor patrol), and ties to the Avengers. I found her to be a forceful personality without being obnoxious about it.

She moves faster than Quicksilver when he had his powers. Her blasts are as varied as any energy projector in the marvel universe, and she SHOULD have decent detective/police skills. Instead Marvel seems to think she is now only useful for giving up whatever name she had to another hero. She lost Captain Marvel, she lost Photon, and now she's Pulsar?

Now it seems they're going to play her up as some sort of gag character if I'm reading rumors right. *Sigh*

Also a minority. Coincidence?

That maybe a factor, though I don't think it is the only one. Some suggested that if anything she was too powerful. When asked about this, her creator, Roger Stern, wrote this on his message board:

It's certainly nice to hear that poeple are still talking about Monica after all these years...especially since she rarely appears anymore.

As for questioning whether Captain Marvel/Photon is too powerful to be a regular member of the Avengers...well, is Iron Man too powerful? Is Wonder Man? Thor? The Scarlet Witch?

Really, it CAN be done.

I'll grant you, Monica isn't easy to handle if you don't have a good background in science...and too few writers do.

-- Roger

It is possible that some writers don't want to deal with the headaches of the physics involved in her powers.

Actually, I think a big part of it was that she was *too* powerful, while still being very down-to-earth. If she had a solo book, alot of the threats they'd have to throw at her would be Superman / Green Lantern level. Someone like Silver Surfer or Quasar who are clearly intended for being cosmic types are more suited to this. On her own, I think she would be out of place, but as part of the Avengers, I think she'd be perfect - immensely powerful person hanging out with legends and gods who still makes the time to zip back from Alpha Centauri in time to spend Thanksgiving with her dad. The powerful "everywoman" of the team.

Oh well.

While some would frown on it, after they showed various Marvel heroes reacting to 9-11 , I think it would have only been fitting to have Monica struggling to deal with Hurricane Katrina's after effects. Heck, they could have shown her delving into it and trying to do something, anything, to stop it or at least lessen it. I think Marvel missed an oppurtunity somewhere there.

And of course, we have to be careful what we wish for. Had some of these characters been more prominent in the last 10-15 years, they probably would have been cloned, had their backs broken, replaced by others using the same name in their own mag, had their history completely ignored, maimed, raped, etc. :rolleyes: But then, we're back at Oddhat's point. :mad:

Oh, I'll plug it again while I'm here - everyone go buy the new THING series! :D (hey, we need an orange rocky smiley)

Getting back to the subject, because I realize all I've posted is on one character being ill used, and seconding an excellent series:

The opening post mentioned the Serpent Society. Man, that was a great concept. A cadre of similarly themed villains who wisely formed a business relationship complete with perks of the job. I haven't seen them in forever, and regret Marvel seems to have abandoned them or reduced them to minor annoyances at best.

Mind you, I DON'T mind Diamondback being reformed like she was (Heck, she was good for Cap in someways), but she's just another character that isn't being used to her full potential imo. You'd think with groups like the Thunderbolts around she'd have a team to go to.

The Serpent Society rocked. I loved the various "villain infrastructure" stuff that got developed over time - the Serpent Society, Taskmaster's schools for training goons and henchmen, Tinkerer repairing and upgrading villain gadgets, Justin Hammer bankrolling villains for a cut of the take and first call on services, things like that.

The Serpent Society rocked. I loved the various "villain infrastructure" stuff that got developed over time - the Serpent Society' date=' Taskmaster's schools for training goons and henchmen, Tinkerer repairing and upgrading villain gadgets, Justin Hammer bankrolling villains for a cut of the take and first call on services, things like that.[/quote']

All great examples. Are any being used currently? Shame if not.

Bernie wasn't, bad, but... ok, she was good for Cap in that she was the kind of girl he needed to be with at that point in his life, but she's *not* the girl he can hook up foreverlike with. They're just too far apart.

Rachel & Cap, OTOH, is a story that could have ended with a nice wedding and then decades of domestic bliss interspersed with supervillain punch-ups, if left undisturbed. :)

I always thought Cypher had an intriguing power that nobody seemed to know what to do with.

it would take some searching, but there are some other threads on posts that agree with that. Someone pointed out that depending on how it was used by a writer, Doug could have done the Cassandra Cain Batgirl stuff as body language is a form of comunication.

it would take some searching' date=' but there are some other threads on posts that agree with that. Someone pointed out that depending on how it was used by a writer, Doug could have done the Cassandra Cain Batgirl stuff as body language is a form of comunication.[/quote']

Potentially, yeah. But even if he didn't do that, there are many things he could do that would be 100% within his powers. They just involve him not being a superhero. Imagine how effective he'd be at the UN? Or in any international body? He could revolutionise diplomacy overnight by creating 100% perfect translations of laws, treaties, documents... instead, he got shoved into a superhero comic, where he was out of place, and they had to invent situations where translation saved the world in order for him to seem half-way to a decent character. -.-