What Marvel/DC storyline have you ripped off...err been inspired by?

Hermit

Re: What Marvel/DC storyline have you ripped off...err been inspired by?

I've borrowed a number of little things here and there -- some intentionally and some unintentionally, but very little in the way of whole story lines.

However, one of my favorite collection of intentional rip-offs is the origin of Rick Davies the Resilient Rubber-Man. It takes elements from Miracleman (the virtual reality training of created heroes), Captain Atom (a fake public origin to cover up the real one), Captain America (the creator of the process that created Rick was killed in a villain attack on the project), and Helix, the villain group from Infinity, Inc. (a group of villains who are a family) with a nod to the Fantastic Four.

In this case, Rick Davies was the prototype for the Project Victory super soldier program created by Dr. Johann Staebler, which would bond nanites to the subject's genetic structure to create superpowers. When he was created, the virtual reality training tubes had not yet been finished so he did not undergo that process. When the rest of the subjects were created, they were put in the virtual reality trainers which also reinforced the ideas of "team as family" and "Rick as leader". Unfortunately, while, they were undergoing this process, EUREKA (European Underground Research Establishment for Knowledge Advancement) attacked, killed Dr. Staebler, and kidnapped the subjects still in the virtual reality training tubes. The psychological programming aspect of the virtual reality training was altered to instead turn them into the villain team Victory. They still thought of Rick as family and would try several times to bring him back to the family. To keep the project a secret, Rick was given a public origin of "falling into a vat of experimental rubber". And finally, Rick, a scientist himself with some knowledge of Dr. Staebler's process has been able to reproduce it enough to create flexible and resilient costumes for heroes like himself. He has often called the material used to make these costumes "staebler molecules" in honor of the doctor.

I tried sending the party into an alternate-future 'Nightmares of Future Past', only with VIPER conquering the world instead of Sentinels and a mutant war.

It worked so well that the DM got too depressed (and the campaign got too dark) to continue. (elaboration: well, actually, the campaign stopped due to scheduling conflicts. The 'damn, that got *dark*" is why I haven't restarted it, even after said conflicts mostly un-conflicted themselves some months later.)

... IOW, whoops.

Next time I shall try to be slightly less ambitious.

Wow, just like what actually happened to the X-Men comics after they morphed into "What alternate sucky future are you from/are we stuck in/can we somehow prevent?"

When this seemed to become the theme of every X-Men storyline (and the horror that wast he Spiderman Clone Saga was when I stopped reading comics on a regular basis.

Wow, just like what actually happened to the X-Men comics after they morphed into "What alternate sucky future are you from/are we stuck in/can we somehow prevent?"

When this seemed to become the theme of every X-Men storyline (and the horror that wast he Spiderman Clone Saga was when I stopped reading comics on a regular basis.

Yeah -- just about any alternate dimension scenario can borrow heavily from X-Men or New Mutants...

I suppose I have to admit that the alternate world my younger group of heroes is currently in the finishing stages of dealing with was influenced by Days of Future Past, and the alternate dimension in the short run of A-Next. However I can also place some of the blame on Star Trek (various episodes and incarnations -- though the ep where Worf kept bouncing between various alternate realities comes stongly to mind), and my limited exposure to anime (the opening scenes of MD Geist II provide a lot of the backbone)...

Yeah -- just about any alternate dimension scenario can borrow heavily from X-Men or New Mutants...

I suppose I have to admit that the alternate world my younger group of heroes is currently in the finishing stages of dealing with was influenced by Days of Future Past, and the alternate dimension in the short run of A-Next. However I can also place some of the blame on Star Trek (various episodes and incarnations -- though the ep where Worf kept bouncing between various alternate realities comes stongly to mind), and my limited exposure to anime (the opening scenes of MD Geist II provide a lot of the backbone)...

Oh, and wizard of oz -- I know Hermit is looking forward to meeting 'the cast'...:whistle:

Way back I ripped Moon Knight: Fist of Khonshu and melded it to Batman. But then added the War of the Gods from DC and Avatar from Forgotten Realms.

Seems that every millenium (did not rip that one) the pantheons of gods battle for supremicy. The egyption gods were winning, but the good aligned wanted to let things lie in the modern world. Set and some of the more evil dieties decided to imbue powers to motals and take over Earth. Horus and Bast fought powers with powers and had their own agents. Bast's avatar was a Catwoman like character who was able to bring in to her "Pride" all feline related powered metas. Horus gave powers to a minor super to save him when he was attacked by Set's avatar King Cobra. Hawknight fought to keep Set from gaining power, having an affair with Bast, gaining a sidekick named Sparrow and giving his life to end the God's War and keeping reality status quo for the next millenium. Horus offered his enhancements to Sparrow as a reward, but the sidekick knowing that power could corrupt, refused and using his own skills and equiptment took over as Sparrowhawk.

To game? Not many.

Lately, however, I have been deeply moved, inspired if you will, to vomit alot by Marvel and DC storylines.

This is probably not what you were asking for.

So have you been running vomit-centric games then?:D

"Days of Future, Past" of course. It's such a classic it just has to be used. :D

One of the main plots in my campaign was the villains trying to force through an anti-hero law (from Champions Presents #1) and I'd already introduced the conflict between Genocide and IMAGE. Naturally, the heroes have to see the disasters that will ensue if they don't stop the villains, to spur them onto the climactic battle.

Plus they get to see some of their familiar NPCs after ten years of terrible times. The changes you can put an NPC through off-camera can also give rise to some interesting complications... :sneaky:

I stole the entire Sunturian story arc from Iron Man. (Sure it was only two issues and an annual, but it worked). Ol Sunny is still around in my game....

My conversion from 4th to 5th edition was handled with a big "Crisis" style world event, substituting the Despoiler cracking the Keystone of reality for the Anti-Monitor.

In a non-hero campaign I used to run, I stole a 1st season episode of Buffy for a plot in my old Horror game. (The one where a bound demon gets into the internet when somebody runs his tome through a scanner)

Nobody noticed. I was the first one in my group to get into Buffy, that would never work now.