What Marvel/DC storyline have you ripped off...err been inspired by?

Hermit

We love some of them, we hate others. Some are whispered as legends only the elders of our kind or the rare versed know of such as "the Korvac Saga", or the tale of "The Dark Phoenix", others such are relatively young ("Identity Crisis"/"House of M"). Some, no matter what their age, we deride.

But I'm asking about the ones that you couldn't help 'borrow' for your own Champions storylines. Sure, maybe the names were changed to protect you from lawsuit ;) and maybe throw your players off the scent (though that doesn't always work), but you otherwise took the story line gleefully and played it out.

So be it "Secret Wars" or "Judas Contract", "The Siege" or "Crisis of Infinite Earths" Which ones did you try? How'd they work out?

Re: What Marvel/DC storyline have you ripped off...err been inspired by?

I tried sending the party into an alternate-future 'Nightmares of Future Past', only with VIPER conquering the world instead of Sentinels and a mutant war.

It worked so well that the DM got too depressed (and the campaign got too dark) to continue. (elaboration: well, actually, the campaign stopped due to scheduling conflicts. The 'damn, that got *dark*" is why I haven't restarted it, even after said conflicts mostly un-conflicted themselves some months later.)

... IOW, whoops.

Next time I shall try to be slightly less ambitious.

And in my upcoming campaign, I ripped off huge chunks from two storylines for the Dimensional Invasion of 1998 ( a significant piece of the campaign backstory):

* To describe roughly how the invasion went down, and how Earth felt being occupied for a month, and etc., I borrowed liberally from the JLU season 2 finale, 'Starcrossed', and the Thanagarian Invasion.

* And to outline how the final heroic assault that sabotaged the dimensional nexus generator/Really Big Sucker That Opens D-Gates Large Enough For Starfleets To Fly Through went down, I used nice large chunks from 'Halo'. :D

(Hey, if you're going to build a stucture that opens dimensional rifts for starfleets to fly through, you're going to put it in space, right? And why *not* a giant ring for your rift generator? Easy to fly through, if it's large enough! And if you're going to make it a really big giant ring, then why not...)

I stole a campaign origin from Wildcards - had a plauge. Supers first appeared in it's wake. But the details were different.

I played in a game that had a "Day of Future Past" - VIPER and Genocide joined forces and took out the world - then the genocide side of the group got nailed - 4th ed with viper having the tech from the Mutant File. Scary. The event that triggered the future was us stopping a crime. I had my character die to prevent that future (with the understanding that she would come back, which let to a really cool other story arc - which although played years ago, so it isn't a steal, has a lot in common with the GL Rebirth explination for Hal).

That GM and I were basically alternating Gming in our champs games, in the specific games mentioned above. When the power level of the two games were about equal we did a 3 month crisis kind of crossover - with me GMing a mix of characters native to my campaign, and those native to his, and vice versa.

Wildstorm's interlocking Gen-factor/Team 7 along with WildCATS

Age of Apocalypse (brought on by Dr. Destroyer)

Savage Land

JSA/Invaders

Legion of Super-Heroes

X-Men (the school for kids, not ness the team itself)

Silver Cross Academy (another school for kids done by Ben Dunn of Ninja High School fame)

John Byrne's Generations & Marve: the Lost Generation

Fantastic Four

Avengers (of course)

Whatever seems to spark an idea at the time

I ripped off everything and everyone. You should all be suing me.

Ahh ... but you see ... we are. Meet my lawyer ... Steve Long ;)

what? ;)

I get to say this again for the second time in the last couple of days.

Secret Wars, has been one of my favorite Rip Offs. I always change it around but its similar. A group of good vs a group of evil. Teleported to a war world. Each group can send 5 people through a teleporter. They have to fight for an artifact. No one can be teleported twice in a row. The Villains have 20 guys and the heroes have 20 guys.

Sentinal Future Past, a group of killer robots send go through time and try to attempt to kill a Player Character. Only way to stop it. Go to the future where ALL HEROES are hunted by the world government. I didnt make mine as Dark as Chuckg. Mostly because they were there for a reason.

I almost forgot.

GODZILLA, or in my campaigns King REX. You get a Giant 120 foot tall Radioactive Dinosaur that wants to destroy. Yep you guessed it, JAPAN. It took my players forever to figure out that they couldnt fight it. There job, they thought after that was just its disasters it made and them trying to help the people. It took to the 3rd gaming session for them to figure out that it was being controled. Of course they had a fun time getting close to King Rex to disable the device which was located in each ear. It was funny for about 5 minutes they had King Rex running around in a circle.

Oh man...just off the top of my head...

- Days of Future Past (using MSH modules)

- Defenders 13-14 (Squadron Sinister/Nebulon), using a new character as a 5th member defecting to the heroes

- later using a Squadron Supreme ripoff based on JSA (rather than JLA) members, well before the JSA relaunch

- replaced the Invaders with Freedom Fighters homages in a Marvel WW II module

- JLA first appearance of Amazo

Plagiarism um, I mean Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Marvel

Avengers Type

Any and all X-Men

Days of Future Past

Fantastic Four

Namor

Hulk

Iron Works

Defenders

DC

JLA and JSA

Legion of Superheroes

Zero-Hour

Crisis in Infinite Earths

Kingdom Come

Others

WILDCATS

Wild Cards

Dr Who

Star Trek

Star Wars

The Lost World

Power Rangers

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

Land of the Giants

Mutant X

Andromedia

Earth Final Conflict

Beast Master

GI Joe

Transformers

and more than I can remember at this moment, you play in the Hero System over 20 yrs and you steal, opps, borrow idea's where you can.

We love some of them, we hate others. Some are whispered as legends only the elders of our kind or the rare versed know of such as "the Korvac Saga", or the tale of "The Dark Phoenix", others such are relatively young ("Identity Crisis"/"House of M"). Some, no matter what their age, we deride.

But I'm asking about the ones that you couldn't help 'borrow' for your own Champions storylines. Sure, maybe the names were changed to protect you from lawsuit ;) and maybe throw your players off the scent (though that doesn't always work), but you otherwise took the story line gleefully and played it out.

Days of Future, Past.

It's such a classic, you just can't resist it. :thumbup:

The main campaign was the Spectrum adventure from Champions Presents #1, but there's nothing like ramping up the tension like showing the PCs what will happen if Prism's scheme works...and sets off the fireworks that's been brewing between Genocide and IMAGE... :eg:

I've been thinking of writing an adventure that'd be a hybrid of Avengers Disassembled, Identity Crisis, House Of M and Infinite Crisis.

Basically a sorcery-based superheroine has been using her magic to alter reality to make things "better" (unaware that this is creating misfortune for her friends and teammates) and this doesn't sit well with the mysterious

superhero detective of the night who doesn't like having his "world" played with and has deduced (correctly) that the sorceress may be indirectly responsible for all the misfortune that has befallen their friends and loved ones.

Both are on the same hero team.

That's the (very) basic premise, just not sure when/how/where the PCs would get involved.

I've been thinking of writing an adventure that'd be a hybrid of Avengers Disassembled' date=' Identity Crisis, House Of M and Infinite Crisis[/i'].

I would suggest first making sure that your players /liked/ those storylines.

Because right now, comics fandom is bitterly divided over them things. Some fans think that those storylines were the greatest things since sliced bread, and other fans think those are storylines of such epic suckitude that [snipped to avoid derailing thread, plus, some of those words are just plain rude].

I know this because my own players fall into category #2. I can't imagine what level of physical violence they'd inflict on me if I tried this scenario, and to be honest, I really don't want to. Some of them own knives. :)

OTOH, if your players fall into the other category, then go for it, have fun, whichever.

That's one thing I liked about 7th Sea to a degree. They have a set of generic catagories (action, romance, magic, etc) and each player has 100pts to define what he wants of each in the campaign. Nice way of telling the Reff what they're interested in and meeting the players half way.

I would suggest first making sure that your players /liked/ those storylines.

Because right now, comics fandom is bitterly divided over them things. Some fans think that those storylines were the greatest things since sliced bread, and other fans think those are storylines of such epic suckitude that [snipped to avoid derailing thread, plus, some of those words are just plain rude].

Most people I game with are pretty easygoing and are fans of modern-day comics as well as silver-age stuff (although I don't think I'd ever incorporate issues like rape in any game I'm running)

And just to be clear, the Scarlet Witch/Zatanna and Batman and JLA/Avengers analogs were going to be NPCs.

No PCs were going to be forced into any kind of set roles (I kind of envision the PCs as stepping into the middle of a "Secret Superhero Civil-War" tm).

I do a lot of movie and novel lifts' date=' but I never seem to do plotline lifts from the comics. Which, now that I think about it, is strange.[/quote']

Me too. I ran a Champs scenario based on the movie Ronin and it seemed pretty popular with the players.

• 7 months later...

More than people might think, since I'm not exactly a traditionalist, and some I'm sure I did without even realizing it. But notably the current supers campaign kicked off fueled by the first X-Men film and has been influenced by Dark Phoenix as well - both things I didn't read in the initial comics.

I daren't reveal it just yet, but I will be directly mining another major Marvel idea/plot very soon... :eg: ...