Whats a good value for this limitation?

Kyle A.

In a fantasy world I'm preparing Elementalist have tattooes wich connect them to the various elements they can control. They have to bear the tattoo of the element they are currently commanding. Nothing can cover it even slightly or it won't work. I know I could use restrainable but I want to use a custom limit. What would be a good value for "Must have appropraite tattoo uncovered."?

Re: Whats a good value for this limitation?

In a fantasy world I'm preparing Elementalist have tattooes wich connect them to the various elements they can control. They have to bear the tattoo of the element they are currently commanding. Nothing can cover it even slightly or it won't work. I know I could use restrainable but I want to use a custom limit. What would be a good value for "Must have appropraite tattoo uncovered."?

I think restrianable is your best bet. OIF might also work. Just spell out what "Restrainable" means for the specifics of the game.

Restrainable (Tattoo must remain uncovered for power to work).

Sounds like an interesting spell school.

In order to get a rough value for the custom limitation, I'd look at the focus rules.

First, the tattoo is, effectively, inaccessible. Less than inaccessible, really, since it cant be taken away at all, even with a full turn out of combat. On the other hand, the fact that covering it even slightly will distrupt its function might offset that. A bit of mud, or blood on the tattoo, and no more casting. Would a small cut (No BOD damage... think shaving nick) across the tattoo disrupt the continuity of the tattoo enough to prevent its use?

Second, how big and obvious does the tattoo have to be? If it is no bigger than a 1/4 inch (5mm) high letter, and can be placed someplace like the back of the neck, it is going to be worth less. If it has to be saucer sized, on the other hand, and will require the baring of a large portion of the caster's skin that isnt normally bared, it will be worth more.

I was picturing the tattoos as palm sized maybe a little bigger or smaller. A cut across the tattoo wouldn't disrupt it but blood would, the cut doesn't cover it so. As for obviousness first the different element tattoos have to go in different locations. An Air tattoo needs to up somewhere like the neck or head, an earth tattoo would need to be as close to the ground as possible so ankles or the top of your feet would be good.

I also picture the tattoos doing something to show their being used, my rationale is the elements aren't subtle so the magic that controls isn't subtle.

When I get it finished I could post it if anybody wants. Keep in keep in mind that I don't own FH and haven't read it so if I've stolen something from it its purely accidental.

I assume that you've already realized that Distinctive Features would be a natural disadvantage for anyone with the tattoos. I think I would go with a -1/2 limitation since there are multiple uncommon ways to disrupt the magic-user.

I would go with the full OIF. They are very obvious, and while they cannot actually be removed in combat, they can be easily disrupted/deactivated.

If everyone in the culture they are used knows about them, then they know that they can be deactivated by a called shot with a grab (covering the tat with your hand), an entangle (covering with a net or web), or even a jar of paint.

I'd give it a -1.

In game terms, how hard is it to disrupt?

If it can be disrupted by ANY grab or entangle, it's probably worth -1/2 as per normal restrainable rules. If it takes a specially targetted (takes hit location penalty) grab or only entangles of certain special effects, then probably -1/4.

For non-grabs and non-entangles, it sounds like it would take a targetted hit location attack to stop this, so I don't see it as adding any additional limitation value to the power.

I'd go for -1/2 (the same as restrainable or OIF). It's clearly not worth a -1 like OAF, since even if it can be interrupted by a successful grab (covering it with your hand) unlike an OAF, the attacker has to stay there and keep it covered. Otherwise you can fire the power up again. If it was an OAF, anyone who gets hold of it could run away with it.

OTOH, it's worth more than IIF, since that can't be easily taken away in combat, nor can it be interrupted.

You could even argue that it's worth more than OIF, since it can be interupted in combat - and a sharp knife and a few minutes out of combat could allow it to be removed, just like a regular OIF. In game, this is likely to be rare enough I probably would not go to -3/4, but if your game is gritty and post-combat mutilation seems in style, then -3/4 would not be out of line since it then operates as a "restrainable" OIF.

cheers, Mark

I see you've made a decision, but I'll chime in anyways. I see why you don't want to use restrainable, but the effect is the same as restrainable for all intensive purposed, so the same value as restrainable with another name is probably right. In my game I'd probably give 1/4 unless it was also visible (as yours appears to be), in which case, in my liberal style, I'd allow a -1/2.