Seemingly Silly Things to Model

Re: Seemingly Silly Things to Model

And while we're on it... Blase' : Psychological Lim. (Strong, Total). This stimulates the odd scene of the old folks just chatting while they watch paranormal freaks battle UFOs in broad daylight. It's... just surreal. (Again, IOU Gurps for the source.)

Gurps, shmurps; it's "Rocky and Bullwinkle".

"There's something you don't see every day, Chauncy."

"What's that, Edgar?"

:rofl:

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old Adventurers Club magazine had an article called "Champions Minus" which detailed out some really weird things in Hero terms.

Issue #10, BTW.

I'll have to dig it out and see what wonders I can take from it to add to this list.

Here's a couple of examples:

Find Week: The character is able to determine the week. (Can't recall if this was of the month or of the year).

Of the year.

Haunted: The character is troubled by occurrences related to whatever is Haunting them. Example: Haunted by Elvis. The character is pulled over for speeding' date=' and the town is named Elvis, MO.[/quote']

It's a very funny article. A few more examples:

Overall Levels: The character is +1 with everything, but only if he's wearing overalls. Very popular in rural areas.

Bus Transfer: The character can ride public transportation all day, with only one transfer (but he has to buy the transfer with money like anybody else).

Defect: A character with this power can change loyalties at any time, even in the middle of combat.

Missle Detection: The character can spot an incoming Ranged Attack. Not that he can do anything about it...

No Identity: The character doesn't know who he is. The authorities don't know who he is. NOBODY knows who he is. It's recommended that the best (well, most amusing) way to play this disadvantage is for the GM and the other players to completely ignore the player whose character has this.

Diving Under The Covers: This combat maneuver can be performed if the character is within 1 hex of a bed. Could be useful for dealing with boogymen...

Move Away: The character can, during his phase, move to a new residence, making it hard, or even impossible, for a Hunted to find him. There's a "Forwarding Address" option, which means the character will, eventually, be found.

Never On: A power with this Limitation can never be used. It's a -10 Limitation.

And the most unlikely one of all...

Common Sense: The character can tie his shoes, eat with a fork, and know that a $1,000,000 phone bill should be discussed with customer service. In short, the character has enough brains to be allowed out in public without a keeper. Most heroes should have Common Sense, far too few do.

Either a Killing Attack where the SFX are the target fish looked to have commited suicide (IPE I'd wager).

Or Mind Control to an evil evil level.

How about XDG RKA IPE, AOE megascale (worldwide), Selective, Trigger (Name Said in hearing of fish); always on.

Move Away: The character can, during his phase, move to a new residence, making it hard, or even impossible, for a Hunted to find him. There's a "Forwarding Address" option, which means the character will, eventually, be found.

And the most unlikely one of all...

Common Sense: The character can tie his shoes, eat with a fork, and know that a $1,000,000 phone bill should be discussed with customer service. In short, the character has enough brains to be allowed out in public without a keeper. Most heroes should have Common Sense, far too few do.

I like that first one.. In A Phase no less. I want whichever moving company that power uses.

Common Sense... yes, well the reason most characters don't have it is because it apparently costs more than 350points. Or at least most players think it does.

What, You Again?: This applies to NPCs, particularly in games involving a great deal of travel. Wherever the player-characters go, either within their world or in others, there are one or two particular people who ALWAYS turn out to be around in one form or another. They will turn up again even if killed or maimed at a previous meeting. They might even be alternative versions of the character (such as the innumerable Toyas and Yukitos in Tsuabsa Chronicle) or different versions of the same person scattered all over the world (the way every Pokemon Center in the world has their very own Nurse Joy).

What' date=' You Again?:[/b'] ... Wherever the player-characters go, either within their world or in others, there are one or two particular people who ALWAYS turn out to be around in one form or another. ... They might even be ... different versions of the same person scattered all over the world...

And they're named Dibbler. :D:snicker:

Toilet useage skill and a porta-potty spell.

Potty training is an obvious Everyman skill. Lack of it, or of ability to control the biological functions involved (due to illness or injury) would be a PhysLim that wouldn't be that expensive but could be rather nasty in some circumstances.

It is also possible to have alien physiologies that don't need to excrete wastes -- a small variation on the Life Support power. Most spacefaring supers have at least temporary access to this power as part of the package that enables them to survive space.

If I may depart from the mostly-anime-inspired proceedings thus far..

Bad Writing - This power advantage allows a power to work even when it logically or scientifically shouldn't. Sonic attacks through airless space? Sure. Fireballs underwater? Why not - your writer's a hack!

John Byrne Took Over My Book - Distinct from the above. This is a talent that simulates a specialized variable power pool. You may redistribute up to 10% of your points when this is purchased. Change the special effects of your powers, completely revamp your DNPCs and Contacts - whatever!

Mark Millar Took Over My Book - You acquire the PsychLim : Liberal Demogogue, and the Distinctive Feature : Boorishly Preachy, (even for those who agree with you.) Not Concealable. You may also add a number of other Psych Lims, as long as they're sophomoric.

The combined form of the John Byrne and Mark Millar "talents" is the Chuck Austen Took Over My Book disadvantage.

Peter David Took Over My Book - You become extremely witty (+2 Skill Levels, only usable for interaction skills), but your days are numbered - you'll probably be cancelled in the next dozen issues.

Did I Do That?: You yourself may not have any particular talents, yet somehow you have gotten on the good side of Providence to such an extent that anyone who tries to harm or hamper you will be stymied by the most improbable of coincidences. You could be stalked by twenty highly-trained assassins and somehow they will end up destroying each other instead of you as their attempts to do you in go horribly wrong. Simple actions of yours that are completely unrelated to the task at hand turn out to be very much to your benefit -- and frequently you will never know it. The collary is that what you try to do often fails spectacularly, although you usually come out of it unscathed and, after taking a moment to compose yourself, barely ruffled.

Did I Do That?: You yourself may not have any particular talents' date=' yet somehow you have gotten on the good side of Providence to such an extent that anyone who tries to harm or hamper you will be stymied by the most improbable of coincidences. You could be stalked by twenty highly-trained assassins and shomehow they will end up destroying [i']each other[/i] instead of you as their attempts to do you in go horribly wrong. Simple actions of yours that are completely unrelated to the task at hand turn out to be very much to your benefit -- and frequently you will never know it.

Luck. Lots of dice of Luck. Then some more after that. And maybe another couple three dice of Luck.

Oh, and a PsychLim: Never Realizes The Ramifications of His Actions (common, Strong)

The collary is that what you try to do often fails spectacularly' date=' although you usually come out of it unscathed and, after taking a moment to compose yourself, barely ruffled.[/quote']

Maybe a couple dice of Unluck, limited to only affecting the success of your own actions? Or perhaps a PsychLim and low-level abilities.

Precocious: You are extremely young (five or six years old) but gifted far beyond your years. You can do things that amaze your peers and confound your parents, teachers and any other adults you come into contact with. You also have a near-supernatural awareness of what is going on around you and what people are thinking, which means you can take an active role in matters that would normally be far beyond your comprehension, much less your capabilities. On the downside, you only have a preschool education, so many adult tasks such as reading and writing anything beyond the most basic of things might be beyond you.

Did I Do That?: You yourself may not have any particular talents, yet somehow you have gotten on the good side of Providence to such an extent that anyone who tries to harm or hamper you will be stymied by the most improbable of coincidences. You could be stalked by twenty highly-trained assassins and shomehow they will end up destroying each other instead of you as their attempts to do you in go horribly wrong. Simple actions of yours that are completely unrelated to the task at hand turn out to be very much to your benefit -- and frequently you will never know it.

Luck. Lots of dice of Luck. Then some more after that. And maybe another couple three dice of Luck.

Oh, and a PsychLim: Never Realizes The Ramifications of His Actions (common, Strong)

Actually, this sounds like more than Luck. I think No Conscious Control TK and Transform are needed too. Maybe Control Environment to decrease OCV, only vs. foes.

The "Simple actions...never know it." part sounds like a Precog the character is not consciously aware of, but which influences his actions unconsciously. The GM would have to handle it as an ex post facto precognition, if that makes any sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Not From Around Here' date=' Am I?:[/b'] You are from Earth -- but not the same Earth as you are living on now and where everyone else came from. What is more, you have no idea how you came to be in the world you are in now. Because you were raised on a different world, a lot of things that go in are baffling to you. The history you remember is different, sometimes vastly so, than the actual history of the world you are on. Even if you speak English, you might use a much different set of idioms than everyone around you, making understanding people's conversations a challenge. Even the cultural norms of this world are unfamilair to you ("You don't practice ritual defloration at the coming of age? What kind of parents are you?")

This is strangely similar to a character I have actually built and played. He is a time traveller from an alternate future. Where he comes from, many of the things from SciFi films and books from the 40's, 50's and 60's came true: Flying cars, Benevolent World Government, Space travel, Alien Invasions, Time Travel, Cloning, etc. Curiously enough, the Superhero team he ended up joining in this game has a flying car. It is the only vehicle he has seen since arriving that he has the appropriate Transport Familiarity for.

Feb 12th, '06 09:31 PMMichael HopcroftDid I Do That?: You yourself may not have any particular talents, yet somehow you have gotten on the good side of Providence to such an extent that anyone who tries to harm or hamper you will be stymied by the most improbable of coincidences. You could be stalked by twenty highly-trained assassins and shomehow they will end up destroying each other instead of you as their attempts to do you in go horribly wrong. Simple actions of yours that are completely unrelated to the task at hand turn out to be very much to your benefit -- and frequently you will never know it. The collary is that what you try to do often fails spectacularly, although you usually come out of it unscathed and, after taking a moment to compose yourself, barely ruffled.

This sounds like Desolid, Invisible Effects, No End, Persistent, Always On. Then buy Vs. Solid World as a naked Advantage for Strength, with No Concious Control.

Will You Stop That!!: You have a minor habit that many people don't notice, and of those that do, most don't mind. However, a few people get so bent out of shape about it, that they go ape over it. Those people invariably land up yelling, carrying on, and looking totally petty and obsessive to everyone else.

Obviously this would be bought with a highly modified Mind Control. ;)

Stop copying me!

You have this annoying ability to mimic what people say or do as they're doing/saying it. While this is often used to frustrate people, some forms of this can be ultimately useful in certain 16-Bit console RPG characters

** Mainly Gogo from Final Fantasy III / VI

Not The Real Sean Connery, But An Incredible Simulation: You bear an uncanny physical and verbal resemblance to a certain celebrity (I used actor Sean Connery as an example, but it could be anybody). If you wanted to, you could pass for him or her, or make a good living as a look-alike model or stunt double (with the appropriate skills). The downside is that people who might wish to do that person harm are just as likely to mistake you for him as his admirers.

Public Figure, Secret Agent: In addition to your adventuring career, you have another profession which has brought you considerable fame or fortune, such as being a star athlete or film megastar. While this gives you all the benefits of celebrity, it also means you will have to use Disguise skills or fast talking when on adventuring missions to prevent your enemies from recognizing you from your "other life" and exploiting that information. In addition, adventures frequently come up at times which are frequently inconvenient in the extreme (like right before the biggest game or movie shoot of the year). And like most adventurers you tend to be a magnet for trouble -- so if the bad guys have their pick of which awards show to hold up for ransom, one guess which one they usually choose....

Runnning a game where one of the players left some 'mystery meat' disadvantages for the GM.

Gave him a 'watched': whenever he got involved in a public battle, a group of monks would show up and start interviewing the crowd about his public perception and performance. They had clipboards and everything.

Freaked him right out.

She's a Demon On Wheels: There is a common Everyman Skill (such as Driving) that you passionately love doing but are so bad at that even the most innocuous uses of that skill become a major hazard to those around you. You tend to use the skill in "creative" ways that ignore the most basic principles of safe, reasonable usage. That you haven't killed yourself of several other people with it yet is merely the result of sheer chance.

No, Akane, I'll Buy Lunch: A variant on the above that makes you dangerous with skills that ordinarily pose no threat whatsoever, such as Cooking.

Also applicable to C-Ko

Or Lum the Invader, who doesn't understand the difference between Alien Cuisine and Human Cuisine and makes food that does all sorts of bizarre things (exploding on contact with air is mild for Lum).

Or, for that matter, Starfire's cooking (one of the Tamaranian Princess' many Lum-like qualities).

How Do You Know You Don't Like Glorrchi Fungus Stew?: You have a taste in food that is bizarre by Earth standards, but don't realize this. Thus you are continually trying to convince your human companions to eat your "home cooking" which is, unfortunately, completely alien to human experience and is occasionally poisonous to humans.

• 4 weeks later...