Seemingly Silly Things to Model

Watching these boards has given me some strange ideas for powers to model. I thought I wiuld mention a few, and then open the door for others to submit their strange ideas.

Fish Kill Themselves When They Hear My Name: Whenever your name is mentioned around fish, they commit suicide by whatever means of self-destruction happen to be available to fish at that particular time. Variations oin this power would include the mention of your name causing any passing birds to fall from the sky, making rats drown themsevles en masse, etc.

The Cat Does My Bidding: You can command any housecat to perform any simple task of which a housecat would otherwise be capable. You cannot command it to do something cats cannot do (like fly unaided), but you can make it do things that a cat could do but which would be unwise (like launch an all-out attack on a large, vicious dog).

Suprisibus! Suprisibus!: Whenever you dig a Burmese Tiger Trap and turn your back for thirty seconds, a Burmese Tiger will somehow appear in the bottom of the pit. This won't set off the trap, so anyone who falls into it (including yourself) will not only have to climb out of the trap but find some way to deal with the tiger.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Seemingly Silly Things to Model

Holy anime nonsense/goodness! Rudyard Kipling would approve' date=' if he wasn't so dead.[/quote']

And if Rudyard Kipling's approval were that important to me, I would seek a way to render him slightly less dead.

Anime had nothing to do with it. The ideas are borrowed from Conan O'Brien, Phil and Kaja Foglio and Chuck Jones, respectively.

Fish Kill Themselves When They Hear My Name: Whenever your name is mentioned around fish, they commit suicide by whatever means of self-destruction happen to be available to fish at that particular time.

I don't know exactly why, but this strikes me as a very cool, if disturbing, power. Also, I have no idea how to model it.

Zeropoint

I don't know exactly why, but this strikes me as a very cool, if disturbing, power. Also, I have no idea how to model it.

Zeropoint

Either a Killing Attack where the SFX are the target fish looked to have commited suicide (IPE I'd wager).

Or Mind Control to an evil evil level.

Watching these boards has given me some strange ideas for powers to model. I thought I wiuld mention a few, and then open the door for others to submit their strange ideas.

Fish Kill Themselves When They Hear My Name: Whenever your name is mentioned around fish, they commit suicide by whatever means of self-destruction happen to be available to fish at that particular time. Variations oin this power would include the mention of your name causing any passing birds to fall from the sky, making rats drown themsevles en masse, etc.

+20 PRE, Usable by Others, AoE Megascale (whole earth), Incantations, OAF Fish of opportunity.

The Cat Does My Bidding: You can command any housecat to perform any simple task of which a housecat would otherwise be capable. You cannot command it to do something cats cannot do (like fly unaided), but you can make it do things that a cat could do but which would be unwise (like launch an all-out attack on a large, vicious dog).

I'd say either:

Mind Control - It'd be easy to get +20 on a cat, I'd think (and Krosp, the character in question, doesn't actually suggest that he could give them suicidal orders); if it was No End, he could trivially do it to every cat he meets (has he ever met another cat?). It needs to be telepathic, though.

Or

Perk: King of all cats

Suprisibus! Suprisibus!: Whenever you dig a Burmese Tiger Trap and turn your back for thirty seconds, a Burmese Tiger will somehow appear in the bottom of the pit. This won't set off the trap, so anyone who falls into it (including yourself) will not only have to climb out of the trap but find some way to deal with the tiger.

Summon, OAF Bulky: Tiger Trap, No concious control, extra time (30 secs)?

There was a politician in the mid 80's that had an ad that basically just kept saying his name throughout.

Anyway it gave me an idea for a stupid disad. I used for my Superheroic demon Mr Apocalypse, whenever he entered the picture a loud voice would announce him.

(Big Tonight show style intro)

"Iiiiit'sssss Misterrrrrrrr AaaaPoCaLypssssssssssse"

Phys lim, incapable of steath. Whenever the character enters a new place, a disembodied voice loudly announces the character.

If you are looking for other interesting and silly ideas:

Frau Blucher Effect: Whenever this partucular character's name is said outloud, there is a bolt of lightning or the sounds of nervous animals. In the flim Young Frankenstein, saying this name caused the horses outside to neigh fanticly.

The Open Door: Whenever the character approches a closed, and possibly locked door, it opens a crack. This only happens if he is planning on turning the doorknob though.

The Closed Door: Whenever the character approaches a door that automatically opens, it doesn't. It's like the sensor that's suppose to detect his presence just doesn't see him.

Everybody Dance Now: Whenever the character sings, everybody around him dances and sings backup. This has absolutely no effect on any of their actions, other than characters performing feats of agility and coordination they are normally incapable of, but only to perform actions they were going to do anyway (and succeeding and failing normally). But regardless of what people do, everyone looks cool doing it.

Everybody Dance Now: Whenever the character sings' date=' everybody around him dances and sings backup. This has absolutely no effect on any of their actions, other than characters performing feats of agility and coordination they are normally incapable of, but only to perform actions they were going to do anyway (and succeeding and failing normally). But regardless of what people do, everyone looks cool doing it.[/quote']

The demon Sweet in Buffy: the Vampire Slayer had a variant of this power and nearly destroyed Sunnydale with it. It had a nasty tendency to cause people to spontaneously catch fire, not to mention letting their deepest and darkest secrets slip before they knew any better.

The demon Sweet in Buffy: the Vampire Slayer had a variant of this power and nearly destroyed Sunnydale with it. It had a nasty tendency to cause people to spontaneously catch fire' date=' not to mention letting their deepest and darkest secrets slip before they knew any better.[/quote']

Once More With Feeling is my favorite Buffy episode as a matter of fact. I'm not ashamed to say I even bought the soundtrack to that specific episode.

Suprisibus! Suprisibus!: Whenever you dig a Burmese Tiger Trap and turn your back for thirty seconds' date=' a [i']Burmese Tiger[/i] will somehow appear in the bottom of the pit. This won't set off the trap, so anyone who falls into it (including yourself) will not only have to climb out of the trap but find some way to deal with the tiger.

You need to bait the Tiger Trap with a tuna fish sandwich. Warning, this trap only works for neurotic 6 year old little boys. ;)

And if Rudyard Kipling's approval were that important to me, I would seek a way to render him slightly less dead.

Anime had nothing to do with it. The ideas are borrowed from Conan O'Brien, Phil and Kaja Foglio and Chuck Jones, respectively.

Render Slightly Less Dead: The character has the ability to "freshen" any dead object into something slightly less dead.

3d6 Cosmetic Transform (Dead to Slightly Less Dead), Only on formerly alive objects (-1/2), Does not work on Mostly Dead--Use the Big Chocolate Coated Pill for that (-0). Active Cost: 15. Real Cost: 10

JoeG

No, that would be a Social Lim. You're threading on IOU Gurps material. (Which reminds me, I still want to make a DH article on that, it's a great resource.)

And while we're on it... Blase' : Psychological Lim. (Strong, Total). This stimulates the odd scene of the old folks just chatting while they watch paranormal freaks battle UFOs in broad daylight. It's... just surreal. (Again, IOU Gurps for the source.)

Weirdness Magnet: Social Limitation: Very Frequently, major. -20 points. For all you would-be Ataru Moroboshis out there, combine with 5d6 Unluck (-25), Psych Lim: Obsessively Purues the Opposuite Sex (Very Common,. Total, -25) and Psych Lim: Phobia (Intimacy with Lum) (Uncommon, Strong -10 points -- Lum emits electricity when happy as well as when angry, take that as you will).

Rose-Colored Glasses: Psych Lim: Always Sees Things in Nice Lights (Common, Strong, -15) leads you to say things like "You have fun playing with your friend Ryoga" when what is actually going on is a vicious duel to the death.

Frau Blucher Effect: Whenever this partucular character's name is said outloud' date=' there is a bolt of lightning or the sounds of nervous animals. In the flim Young Frankenstein, saying this name caused the horses outside to neigh fanticly.[/quote']

+20 PRE, Only Usable for Fear Based PRE attacks, Only Against Horses, Limited Result(causes horses to neigh, not bolt etc), Usable by Others, AoE Megascale (whole earth), Incantations (Must say character's name), no concious control

The Open Door: Whenever the character approches a closed' date=' and possibly locked door, it opens a crack. This only happens if he is planning on turning the doorknob though. [/quote']

cosmetic Transform 2-3d6 (Closed door to Open door), Character must want to open door

Might have to upgrade to minor or major depending on the type of lock in question

The Closed Door: Whenever the character approaches a door that automatically opens' date=' it doesn't. It's like the sensor that's suppose to detect his presence just doesn't see him.[/quote']

Invisibility (Automatic door Group), 0 END, Always On

or

Invisibility (Radio Group), 0 END, Always On, Only works on Automatic doors

Everybody Dance Now: Whenever the character sings' date=' everybody around him dances and sings backup. This has absolutely no effect on any of their actions, other than characters performing feats of agility and coordination they are normally incapable of, but only to perform actions they were going to do anyway (and succeeding and failing normally). But regardless of what people do, everyone looks cool doing it.[/quote']

cosmetic transform Xd6 (Normal people to Normal people singing and dancing with character), Incantations(Character must be singing), 0 END, Always On

MEEP! MEEP! Sneaking up on someone (using Stealth) and then yelling your battlecry disrupts them so much that they either knock themselves silly by jumping into a cliff overhang, or off a nearby cliff.

(Presense Attack, Does Knockback, x2 Effect from Surprised out of Combat?)

Render Slightly Less Dead: The character has the ability to "freshen" any dead object into something slightly less dead.

3d6 Cosmetic Transform (Dead to Slightly Less Dead), Only on formerly alive objects (-1/2), Does not work on Mostly Dead--Use the Big Chocolate Coated Pill for that (-0). Active Cost: 15. Real Cost: 10

I Am Not Yet Dead!: You can feign death very, very convincingly -- so much so that people will naturally assume you are dead even if you are merely asleep, intoxicated or otherwise incapacitated. Sometimes this can be useful -- people don't bother giving a coup de grace to someone if they're already dead -- but in other circumstances it can be a bloody nuisance. Funeral directors are not your friend.

Unlikely Servant: Summons a supermodel to perform household chores.

Format Wars: Breaks (Dispels) any electronic device by making vital components no longer available, with a bonus of +10 to the effect if the device has the letters "s","o","n", and "y" inscribed anywhere on it.

JoeG

The old Adventurers Club magazine had an article called "Champions Minus" which detailed out some really weird things in Hero terms. I'll have to dig it out and see what wonders I can take from it to add to this list.

Here's a couple of examples:

Find Week: The character is able to determine the week. (Can't recall if this was of the month or of the year).

Haunted: The character is troubled by occurrences related to whatever is Haunting them. Example: Haunted by Elvis. The character is pulled over for speeding, and the town is named Elvis, MO.

The Closed Door: Whenever the character approaches a door that automatically opens' date=' it doesn't. It's like the sensor that's suppose to detect his presence just doesn't see him.[/quote']

Josh has that. He very nearly walked into the automatic door at Kmart the other day. I've learned to walk ahead of him wherever I see automatic doors. It only does that to him; if I'm in front of him, it sees me and stays open long enough for him.