[Fraggle Rock] Really Odd Question

Alright, so I just got the complete first season of Jim Henson's Fraggle Rock for Christmas. This, combined with my recent discovery of HERO system, has inspired me to do a write-up of a "Fraggle" racial package deal (yes, I know this is insane, but bear with me).

Now, it seemed that the one essential characteristic of fraggles is that they are constantly singing--in the show, whenever one of the characters encounters a problem, they usually respond to it by singing a song of some kind, after which they usually manage to find some kind of solution to the problem. I thought I would model this by giving the fraggles a power that gives them a small boost to any capability so long as they sing a song about it first.

My problem is that I'm having trouble figuring out how to stat out such an ability. My first thought was to go with Aid, but that power only applies to a single characteristic or power, specified when you buy it. Then I thought I would just allow fraggles to use PS: Musician as complementary for any skill, but somehow I am dissatisfied with this solution beacause I can't really assign a point value to it.

Any thoughts?

Re: [Fraggle Rock] Really Odd Question

What about Overall Levels with RSR: Singing? Maybe Overall Levels on each character that only apply if someone makes a PS:Singing roll? The general idea may work...after singing they get better at anything where the levels can be applied.

My first thought was to go with Aid' date=' but that power only applies to a single characteristic or power, specified when you buy it. [/quote']

Actually you can buy it with Variable Effect (Any Fraggle Power at one time) for +1/4 I believe, or just go hog wild and take it at +2 for every power at the same time.

Wow...I'll have to write about this in my journal...I just helped someone quantify Fraggles...

Alright, so I just got the complete first season of Jim Henson's Fraggle Rock for Christmas. This, combined with my recent discovery of HERO system, has inspired me to do a write-up of a "Fraggle" racial package deal (yes, I know this is insane, but bear with me).

Now, it seemed that the one essential characteristic of fraggles is that they are constantly singing--in the show, whenever one of the characters encounters a problem, they usually respond to it by singing a song of some kind, after which they usually manage to find some kind of solution to the problem. I thought I would model this by giving the fraggles a power that gives them a small boost to any capability so long as they sing a song about it first.

My problem is that I'm having trouble figuring out how to stat out such an ability. My first thought was to go with Aid, but that power only applies to a single characteristic or power, specified when you buy it. Then I thought I would just allow fraggles to use PS: Musician as complementary for any skill, but somehow I am dissatisfied with this solution beacause I can't really assign a point value to it.

Any thoughts?

My vote is an EGO boost. They don't seem to get smarter or better, but instead of giving up the singing makes them want to try again, representing a boost of willpower. Some songs might actually represent a rote-memorized knowledge skill. "When you can't do X. Don't just cry. Try doing Y!"

Physical limitations, as mentioned earlier might also be key: Physical Limitations: Fraggles get discouraged/depressed easily unless someone sings with them.

Mt first (and best) thought was the one John Taber has already presented. Alternatives include a VPP or Luck with RSR and/or incanations and possibly extra time. Mind you there might be a downside to the VPP idea in the potential to abuse...

Fraggle song: (singing)

I have found a locked door

It really is a problem...

What I think I need

Is a mega-blaster cannon...

Fraggle song: (singing)

I have found a locked door

It really is a problem...

What I think I need

Is a mega-blaster cannon...

That is poetic beauty.

"If it isn't nailed down, you pick it up. If it is nailed down, you pick it up. If it's buried, you dig it up. If it's buried under six feet of reinforced concrete and guarded by a legion of crack marines... well, you become an expert in explosives and tactical combat, then you pick it up."

FRAGGLE ROCK on DVD...Very nice indeed!!! :thumbup:

That show brings back memories of watching TV with my children...a must have for me!!! My grandchildren will get a kick out of it. (Yes...I said grandchildren!!!)

Thanks for the info LeftWingPenguin.

Fraggle Rock Theme

Dance your cares away,

Worry's for another day.

Let the music play,

Down at Fraggle Rock.

Work your cares away,

Dancing's for another day.

Let the Fraggles play,

We're Gobo, Mokey, Wembley, Boober, Red.

Dance your cares away,

Worry's for another day.

Let the music play,

Down at Fraggle Rock.

Doozers have it all over Fraggles.

Yeah, once I'm done with Fraggles I'm going to get working on the Doozers, then the Gorgs :)

Everyone else: Thanks for the suggestions! I really like the overall skill level idea, but the Ego boost has merit as well. Perhaps +2 overall skill levels combined with 2d6 worth of Aid Ego, Incantations, Gestures, Requires Skill roll (PS: Musician), Extra time (1 minute).

This is actually kind of fun! I think once I'm done with Fraggle Rock I'll move on to The Dark Crystal!

Note: Once I'm done with my Fraggle Package I think I'll post it in Other Genres. That's where this would go, right?

She does suggest an Enraged on her sheet' date=' however.[/quote']

If not an outright Berserk.

Speaking of which:

"I will beat this vintage car to pieces with a sledgehammer to the tune of the Anvil Chorus. I will then eat the crankcase a capella." How on Earth would one write up The Great Gonzo?

Damage Resistance is a must for Beaker.

The highest INT in the whole bunch would go to Statler and Waldorf. But they are extremely rude, to the point that no other theatre will admit them.