Character Cover Sheet

RDU Neil

Re: Character Cover Sheet

One thing I've found with my characters is there is a difference between the first session they are played in, and subsequent sessions where the character comes to life through action.

Often times I have one vision of how the character works/thinks and it turns out in play they do somethings quite differently. I don't know how many others have this.

Absolutely. Envisioning the character in the abstract is one thing. But when you put it in an actual game and see how it interacts with the world and the other PCs, things frequently wind up going in a different direction.

One thing I've found with my characters is there is a difference between the first session they are played in, and subsequent sessions where the character comes to life through action.

Often times I have one vision of how the character works/thinks and it turns out in play they do somethings quite differently. I don't know how many others have this.

Sure. It has happened to me many times.

Why I think this sheet is interesting and what works about it is that it is aimed at the player. Not the PC.

So, it cuts down on being surprised. If you KNOW you don't like playing dishonorable characters... then your rogue might be rougish and mischievious, but the GM knows that your rogue has a strong streak of honor. Now, you've put on the sheet that YOU are interested in playing out scenarios that involve your Rogue's honor. Or more important, you are NOT interested in being a hardcore criminal.

The GM is forewarned, and better yet, can craft scenes that gets you to play those kind of scenes out. And avoids the Resevoir Dogs kinda plotline of grim, gritty life in the shadows... as you want to play the Robin Hood end of the criminal spectrum.

So... it cuts down on the "suprised" factor of behavior coming out of left field. But will never eliminate it. There are always going to be those situations that change or evolve a PC. Don't we want that? I do.

Sure. It has happened to me many times.

Why I think this sheet is interesting and what works about it is that it is aimed at the player. Not the PC.

It's not just interesting - it's damn spiffy cool.

So, it cuts down on being surprised. If you KNOW you don't like playing dishonorable characters... then your rogue might be rougish and mischievious, but the GM knows that your rogue has a strong streak of honor. Now, you've put on the sheet that YOU are interested in playing out scenarios that involve your Rogue's honor. Or more important, you are NOT interested in being a hardcore criminal.

The GM is forewarned, and better yet, can craft scenes that gets you to play those kind of scenes out. And avoids the Resevoir Dogs kinda plotline of grim, gritty life in the shadows... as you want to play the Robin Hood end of the criminal spectrum.

So... it cuts down on the "suprised" factor of behavior coming out of left field. But will never eliminate it. There are always going to be those situations that change or evolve a PC. Don't we want that? I do.

Naturally we want evolution (well, except a GM I game with whose gone on record numerous times stating a 350pt Starting Character should be a finished product - for which he has been duely thwacked each time).

I was talking more towards the vision of the character and the actual product... but that gets towards derailment... :)

I'm assuming that ZeroPoint got a copy, but in case there is anyone else out there who couldn't open the document, here's the text bit without the fancy graphics, but with page 2 added (I hope RDU Neil doesn't mind me posting this - if it it a problem, let me know and I'll remove the post):

Character Cover Sheet

All answers to the questions below should indicate what the “player” wishes to explore through their character.  Don’t put down elements that you don’t want to have come up in play.

What is your character “the BEST” at doing?

What is your character just “really good” at doing?

What niche does your character fill on the team?

Why does your character do what they do?  (What does the player want to explore?)

What is your character’s most important relationship… and why?

What is your character’s place in the group?

What does your character struggle to overcome?

Why is this character cool to play?

Please describe a scene that you would feel "perfect for this character"

That's cool, Sean. I have no idea how you do that scrolly-texty thing... so thanks.

While not the thread for it, I do think it would be interesting to discuss the "character design expectations" vs. the "character reality in play" concept in another thread. One of the reasons that I made the sheet is not just to help the GM support what the player wants, but to hold the player to some responsibility to play out the character they agreed upon.

One of the big issues I've had is that...

1) For a good campaign, the GM should tailor story to the characters... not create an adventure that any old characters could be plugged into.

2) But players don't feel a need to have responsibility to the game created for them.

IMO, it is not ok for the player to just say, "Eh, I'm not interested in that anymore" and leave the rest of the group with, "But we've spent multiple adventures supporting your plot points... you've got us interested in your story... now you just abandon us?"

That isn't acceptable. The sheet won't stop it, but it will help to keep things focused, and hopefully avoid the serious "That's not what I wanted to play," moments.

• 2 years later...