Marvel's Ten Best Metamorphs

Vigil

In honor of the recently released Ultimate Metamorph, what could be more appropriate than to determine the MU's top ten metamorphs.

Here's my top ten, more or less in order:

1) The Impossible Man

2) Proteus

3) The Hulk

4) Rogue

5) Mr. Fantastic

6) Vision

7) Hank Pym

8) Absorbing Man

9) Mystique

10) Snowbird

and the next ten just because

11) Wasp

12) Sasquatch

13) Sandman

14) Blob

15) Mimic

16) The High Evolutionary

17) Living Monolith

18) Super Adaptoid

19) Kitty Pryde (nowhere near as interesting as Vision)

20) Madrox

Wow. Metamorphs are way cool.

Re: Marvel's Ten Best Metamorphs

Yeah, that's an odd definition of "metamorph." I'd think it was just shapeshifters. I'm not sure I could come up with ten "pure" shapeshifters.

Mystique

Snowbird

Mimic

the Chameleon

the Changeling

Skrulls

the Absorbing Man (kind of)

If AM counts, I suppose I could include Sandman & Hydro-Man.

maybe Warlock

Yeah, that's an odd definition of "metamorph." I'd think it was just shapeshifters. I'm not sure I could come up with ten "pure" shapeshifters.

Mystique

Snowbird

Mimic

the Chameleon

the Changeling

Skrulls

the Absorbing Man (kind of)

If AM counts, I suppose I could include Sandman & Hydro-Man.

maybe Warlock

I definitely would count stretch-shifters such as Sandman and Hydro-Man in there. In fact, those are the type i think of first when I hear the word 'metamorph.' DC's Metal Men are the prime examples in my mind, along with Metamorpho, Sandman and Hydro-Man, and that guy in the Micronauts.

I'm not sure what terminology the book uses (that's part of the reason I want it) but I've always associated those mentioned with the word 'shape-shift' while lycanthropes and animal forms characters I've referred to as 'shape-changers.' Semantics, I know. Take it as you will.

For what it is worth my old "Concise Oxford Dictionary" defines"Metamorphosis" as "Change of form (by magic or by natural development)changed form change of character, conditions etc " which would mean that "Thor" with his ability to switch from Thor to Don Blake by banging his hammer on the ground, could be described as a "metamorph" ! The debate seems to be whether the term "Metamorph" in comics means someone who can change from one form to one other form (like "The Hulk") or do they need more than one "alternative" form (such as "The Chameleon") to qualify. Do characters who can change what they are made of but not their shape (eg "Metamorpho") count ? And what about characters such as "Plastic Man" who can change his shape but not what he is made of ? Interestingly "The Olympian" from "The Global Guardians" who seems to have multiple personalities, could fit under that definition as well !

...Do characters who can change what they are made of but not their shape (eg "Metamorpho") count ? ...

Point of order: Metamorpho does change shape :) In fact, he can change his matter state.

A better example of what you're speaking of here would be Crusher Creel, the Absorbing Man, who has been mentioned also.

The Ultimate Metamorph includes Shape Shifter, Size Changers, Density Alterationists, Stretchy fellows and lasses, Lycanthropes, duplicators, Mind Swappers, and such as Metamorphs. The Hulk is perfectly legitimate according to the guidlines set forth by the thread's creator. ;)

I have to admit that I found the UMM supplement to be a real eye opener, hence this thread. As Enforcer84 states, the UMM doesn't restrict metamorphosis to phyicality but includes qualatative changes as well.

So, mind swapping, power transferring, reality alteration are all viable candidates, hence guys like Proteus (who is several kinds of metamorph all at once!) being prominent in my list. It's a great supplement because it makes one rethink just what the definition of a metamorph is and who qualifies.

Hey I just noticed Mr. Sinister listed as a metamorph! Say what? Isn't he just a steel guy with power blasts? When did this happen? I'm completely out of the x-loop.

He's always been a shapshifter. Disguises, gets holes blown in him. He's the real article.

Well, what the hell? Why wasn't I informed? I must have missed the memo. So, Sinister's like a shapeshifter? Does he just mimic forms like mystic or can he do powers too?

Hell, for that matter I guess Apocalypse is a ful blown old school metamorph, also but he's so incredibly lame it's painful to even contemplate.

Well, what the hell? Why wasn't I informed? I must have missed the memo. So, Sinister's like a shapeshifter? Does he just mimic forms like mystic or can he do powers too?

Hell, for that matter I guess Apocalypse is a ful blown old school metamorph, also but he's so incredibly lame it's painful to even contemplate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Sinister

I was a little taken aback by some of the original poster's choices, too. If the Hulk counts, then Thor, Colossus, Sasquatch (edit: oops he's on there), the Human Torch, Iceman, etc. ad nauseum should count too. I know you're going by the book's definition, but it'd almost be easier to list folks who *aren't* metamorphs. Rogue... I guess I never saw her take on more than cosmetic physical changes, but I haven't read X-books in a long time. And I've got no problems with size-changers falling under the definition, but for some reason I balk at density-shifters like Vision and Shadowcat, and duplicators. And, yeah, why Blob?

My list, no particular order:

Mystique

Mr. Fantastic

Sandman

Absorbing Man

Snowbird

Mimic

Super-Adaptoid

Pym (don't like the character, but love the range of his powers)

Human Torch

Super-Skrull

I based my list on what I felt were interesting applications of the possibilities and classes outlined in the UMM.

So, for example, Proteus is both an internal and external metamorph if I'm recalling the terminology correctly. Plus his control of reality is yet another externalized metamorph quality.

As for why I include the Blob, well, he seems to be able to manipulate his mass and density so he fits.

And yes, it does seem one can go hog wild with the whole metamorph thing (ie adding Thor, Colossus, etc) but then I think one has to differntiate between OIHID and a true Multiform or metamorph power suite. To me, and this is only my opinion, if the core personality changes (as in The hulk and classic Sasquatch) then he MAY be a metamorph (and this is beyond the physical change). If the change is only physical (like Thor or Colossus) and the core personality/disads remain unchanged, then I would think it's more likely OIHID. But that's me and certainly cases can be made either way.

Vigil

OK, I can understand the whole debate about what exactly constitutes a metamorph, but how can anyone not list the Impossible Man at #1?

Annoying? Yes.

Best metamorph? Also yes.

Best metamorph? No. Remember Warlock beat him at an "Anything you can do I can do better" shapeshifter's duel.

Point of order: Metamorpho does change shape :) In fact, he can change his matter state.

A better example of what you're speaking of here would be Crusher Creel, the Absorbing Man, who has been mentioned also.

Sorry . I haven't really read much with "Metamorpho" for a fair while. I think that I was thinking of his very early appearences when he could change his chemical make up but didn't seem to change shape.

...As for why I include the Blob' date=' well, he seems to be able to manipulate his mass and density so he fits...[/quote']

I know that originally his powers had nothing to do with density alteration. However, I haven't read books in many years, nor have I seen the cartoon much so it's quite possible that this has changed.