Don't want to be out classed

SSJ Archon

I'm going to be playing in 250 point Fantasy Hero game soon, and want to make sure that I have decent combat ability. My GM doesn't want anyone to use a VPP for magic, so I'm using a multipower. I was wondering what level of attacks and defenses you all think I may need. How many dice? I want to be very flexible, but still pack a punch, as I think there will be a player who may turn against us.

I was keeping as much flexability as possible with Variable Advantage and Variable SFX.

Also, If I have a power, with for example Beam -1/4, and Variable Advantage +1/2, can I use the advantage to cancel out the Beam?

Re: Don't want to be out classed

No, you can't use the advantage to cancel out the limitation; but you could take variable limitation.

Taking variable advantage, variable special effects, and variable limitation on a lot of multipower powers is the next best thing to a variable power pool.

If you can, take Danger Sense and maybe some Telepathy and try to find out for sure if that player will "turn"

Lucius Alexander

Counting on the palindromedary

If possible - get the GM to define the limits. ie what's the Active Point limit for any power, what is the skill limit, what are the PD/ED limits and what are the OCV/DCV limits (after all combat skills are added).

I set all these things for my campaign when I started it so players would be able to construct relatively balanced characters to each other.

Thats the thing, he said there is no Active point limit!

And my GM said he was alright with me using the Variable Advantage to cancel out a limitation. Sweet!

So far, I have 4d6 RKA +1 Stun (+1/4), Gestures (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4).

I have it in a 100 point Multipower with a Flexible Slot.

I'm thinking I should just pop it up to 5D6 since it will still fit in the Multipower and I (hopefully) won't need to use it at full power. By the way, its a lightning bolt.

Do you guys think thats enough?

How many points of defenses should I have not to get killed?

I have a 15 Dex and I bought 3 combat skill levels for Magical Attacks, + 2 Overall Combat skill levels.

I'm playing a 12 year-old son of merchant lord turned noble, who has great magical powers, just under those of the rare mighty wizards of the land (whom my character plans on joining the ranks of) Ruthless yet benevolent, my character should have edge roleplaying wise against the other (Whom I suspect is playing a powerful Mage. He has a habit of going rogue.)

Thats the thing, he said there is no Active point limit!

And my GM said he was alright with me using the Variable Advantage to cancel out a limitation. Sweet!

So far, I have 4d6 RKA +1 Stun (+1/4), Gestures (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4).

I have it in a 100 point Multipower with a Flexible Slot.

I'm thinking I should just pop it up to 5D6 since it will still fit in the Multipower and I (hopefully) won't need to use it at full power. By the way, its a lightning bolt.

Do you guys think thats enough?

How many points of defenses should I have not to get killed?

I have a 15 Dex and I bought 3 combat skill levels for Magical Attacks, + 2 Overall Combat skill levels.

I'm playing a 12 year-old son of merchant lord turned noble, who has great magical powers, just under those of the rare mighty wizards of the land (whom my character plans on joining the ranks of) Ruthless yet benevolent, my character should have edge roleplaying wise against the other (Whom I suspect is playing a powerful Mage. He has a habit of going rogue.)

*twitch*twitch*twitch*

No active point caps?

Boy is he going to regret that...

Well, the simple way to figure DEF is to assume a max cap of somewhere between 2.5 Body to 3 Body and 7.5 to 9 Stun per 3 DC.

So, you'll probably want either a forcefield (outside of the multipower!) or forcewall (ditto!) of ~ either 15 PD/ED for a forcewall or ~ 45 PD/ED Forcefield.... Note: you'll probably want it to be less or face smiting w/ prejudice.

How many points of defenses should I have not to get killed? I have a 15 Dex and I bought 3 combat skill levels for Magical Attacks' date=' + 2 Overall Combat skill levels.[/quote']

If your opponents are any where near as powerful as your character, you're going to need a lot of defenses to not get killed.

An "average" full blast from you Lightning Bolt will do 14 Bod and 49 stun. Figure you've got about a 15 Con...You need about 35 Def to keep yourself from being stunned vs. your own attack "on average." Nobody wants to be stunned when hit by every average damage attack. (Please note...1 time in 3, your attack will due 70+ stun.)

I'd also suggest you raise your Dex with the points you get back from ditching the Overall CSLs. Dex is just a much, much better buy getting from 15 to 20.

Hes played once.

I finally convinced him to put a cap on it, at 100 points.

This means I went and raised my Lightning bolt to 5d6.

I don't want to raise my dex beyond 15 since I'm suppose to be only 12 years old.

For Defense, I'm putting a 100 point slot of Force Field in the multipower (Since the multipower is at the active point wall, it shouldn't be a problem.)

I put it at 50 PD, 40 ED, + Protects Carried Items, Gestures -1/4, Incantantions -1/4, comes out to 8 points in the MP. (Most of my spells are not Ultraslots, I like flexability.)

I'm also thinking of an Indepentent Amulet that grants +10/+10 Armor Invisible Power Effects, as a family heirloom.

Well, knock yourself out... ;)

The reason that you don't normally place your primary defence in a multipower is because you'll lock out your attack power.

Ex: your 50PD/ED force field is great vs. pretty much all attacks (ignoring Mental Attacks and Adjustment powers here...). However, when it's in use you won't be whipping out your Bolt of God.

However, since it's not an ultra slot good luck...

Independent is almost always a bad idea.

Once the item is lost, it's gone forever.

Kind of a target for most GMs.

If you GM is willing to take some advice from an old HERO gamer, please pass this along...

I think he should lower the active point (AP) cap for powers down to 60 AP. I realize he is trying to play a high powered game, which is cool. But 100pt powers are just over the top, especially in fantasy hero. Most Super Heroic campaigns have a 60 pt cap, and defenses and attributes designed to defend against it. I think you're going to find a 100 pt limit is really difficult to manage.

I'm not trying to force you one way or the other, just offering a helpful suggestion... :)

I know this is slightly of topic, but I've always wanted to (no GM will let me) make a super called Captain Nice. One area effect power: PRE only to make people nice. Just dump all your points into it... hehehe oh well...

As to being on topic... I suggest following Master Sun Tsu's advice:

First a warrior must make himself invulnerable before seeking vulnerabilities in others.

Oh and Tgrandjean, I've played in games like this though not with Hero system. It ends up being less about the dice and more about the plots. The games generally got to a point where the characters where so lethal that no one really wanted to fire the first shot. Lots of fun.

Holy crap! 100 points?

I agree that 60 is more sane at a 250 level.

Can I suggest Missile Deflection and a high speed and good movement? Keep at range, and keep blocking those incomming attacks. Then nail the bad guy with 20d6 of EB. The fact 20 dice will almost always do knockback (uless you roll A LOT of 1's) will help with this stratagy.

BTW, for the sorts of points you are talking about, have you given any thought to some followers to go take damage for you while you stand back and play glass cannon?