weather control in space?

Mastermind

Re: weather control in space?

Depends on your definition of weather. Space "weather" dosen't really have anything to do with terrestrial weather, it's just called weather so people can more easily visualize it. As for generating a hydrosphere, it depends on wheather you are a weather summoner or a weather manipulator. The classic weather powers character is Storm from the X-Men. She manipulates existing weather conditions and so is limited to earth's atmosphere.

...The classic weather powers character is Storm from the X-Men. She manipulates existing weather conditions and so is limited to earth's atmosphere.

Actually, he might be asking this question because of Storm. In the issue where the X-men first met the Brood (IIRC), Storm was stranded in space and used the solar winds to make her way back to safety.

Can a weather controller manipulate space weather (solar wind , magnetic storms, etc) or create a hydrosphere in space to have weather to effect?

If so, how would that be built?

Depends on the special effect of the 'Weather Controller'.

And it would be built as normal... Reasoned from effect...

Doc sez...

The answer would have to be no. Weather powers deal with meteorological phenomena which involves atmospherics. Space having no atmosphere cannot have real meteorological phenomena.

Solar winds and magnetic storms are misnomers. Both have to do with charged particle interactions and nothing with atmospherics.

As for creating a "hydrosphere" in space...that would be dangerous. Besides the fact that the water would instantly freeze, it would also tend to disperse at the least provocation. Space having no atmosphere means no force (pressure) pushing on the 'H-sphere" to hold a shape. If the "H-sphere" had any air in it it might also disperse violently.

Not to put a damper on a PC, but space is a bad place for weather and water power based PCs.

Doc Tough

Actually' date=' he might be asking this question [b']because[/b] of Storm. In the issue where the X-men first met the Brood (IIRC), Storm was stranded in space and used the solar winds to make her way back to safety.

She has also been shown affecting "weather" within a target's space suit.

She has also been shown affecting "weather" within a target's space suit.

Well yes, but writers with a poor grasp of concept don't make the best emulation examples :D

What powers can do for characters often changes with different writers and even just when the plot calls for it.

We have far more exacting quality control.:thumbup:

Well yes, but writers with a poor grasp of concept don't make the best emulation examples :D

What powers can do for characters often changes with different writers and even just when the plot calls for it.

Well, isn't this phenomenon a staple of the superhero genre? Far fetched theories based on coincidental evidence or even nothing more than a preconceived misunderstanding of physics or terminology is what superpowers are all about. It's where lasers that we can see come from, and why entire buildings can be liften off their foundation without collapsing.

So I say, let the weather manipulator control the solar winds! Putting rain in the vaccuum of space might be going to far though.

Well, isn't this phenomenon a staple of the superhero genre? Far fetched theories based on coincidental evidence or even nothing more than a preconceived misunderstanding of physics or terminology is what superpowers are all about. It's where lasers that we can see come from, and why entire buildings can be liften off their foundation without collapsing.

So I say, let the weather manipulator control the solar winds! Putting rain in the vaccuum of space might be going to far though.

From the tone of your post, youg Dust Raven, I could almost draw the conclusion that you believe that superpowers are not real.

For shame.

Yep, there's the two schools of thought, you've just got to decide which to go by:

1) Your special effects are only possible because of the environment

2) Your specail effects are created by you, not your environment.

No moisture or air on the moon so you couldn't exactly summon a torrential downpour or cause wind if you were manipulating existing elements.

But if you were creating such effects yourself, I might argue that they are diminished or changed by the environment. The rain does form for a few seconds, quickly freezes and shatters on impact with objects. The Wind (TK) has a greatly shortened range/radius/STR, however, since your target is in near Zero-G, it's probalby pretty easy to punt him across the moon. NOTE: This is comic book science. I'm certain neither effect would last, had you such real powers and travelled to the moon.

Same way, if someone had "celestial" powers that drew on effects from space, I think they'd be inhibited or changed by use on Earth.

Hmm. Rain in space? Why not? It might be appropriate if the SFX of the powers is actually to create/summon the water on the spot. If, on the other hand, the powers' SFX revolve more around manipulating the atmosphere to create such effects it is probably a no-go. Some powers may not have such well-specified SFX, in which case it might be appropriate to have them fleshed out a bit more when such issues come up (if it doesn't hinder flow of play too badly).

As for whether, "normal," weather control can do things like influence the solar wind, I think it is going to depend on the nature of the campaign. More, "realistic," or, "hard science," settings might not allow it because solar wind is an electromagnetic/particle phenomanon, whereas planetary weather has to do with more macroscopic mechanical influences.

From the tone of your post, youg Dust Raven, I could almost draw the conclusion that you believe that superpowers are not real.

For shame.

Um, ah... no, No! that's not what I'm saying at all... really... um, it's the genre I'm talking about. The power are real... really real! I swear it!

:nonp::smoke:

Actually' date=' he might be asking this question [b']because[/b] of Storm. In the issue where the X-men first met the Brood (IIRC), Storm was stranded in space and used the solar winds to make her way back to safety.

Actually, it was issues 99-100 where Storm, Banshee & Wolverine were trying to escape from Stephen Lang's space station and his Sentinels. I can't remember what I had for breakfast but I can remember this. :)