QUICK! Help on Primus acronym

Starlord

Re: QUICK! Help on Primus acronym

Actually' date=' that was the acronym under the previous incarnation of the CU. According to p. 43 of the [i']Champions Universe[/i] sourcebook, it now stands for "Paranormal Research and Investigation Mission of the United States."

Wow. Was there any significant change to the org to reflect the name change? Sounds more like a STAR labs type group rather than SHIELD. Methinks perhaps only changed for change's sake? Or perhaps did the agent organization grow out of the research successes with Cyberline, etc?

The 5th Edition made some changes. UNTIL now is allowed to operate within the USA again. In 4th Edition PRIMUS absorbed SAT and UNTIL was not allowed to operate inside the US since the idea of an armed force that was not US-controlled operating inside the US was something that the government would not stand for. Even though UNTIL is now inside the US, PRIMUS is still as powerful an organization as ever.

Though I have Champions Universe, I never really agreed with the UNTIL back in the US concept. If anything it seems like the UN is even less popular within the US nowadays. As a result of my own views I hadn't bothered to read up on this particular situation (in my group's campaign UNTIL is still not allowed in the US). I was unaware of the name change until Lord Laiden pointed it out (thanks LL). I don't really see any reason for the name change other than the book's authors (Steve Long & Darren Watts) prefering the new name.

Sorry if I steered you wrong Jeff T.

Actually' date=' that was the acronym under the previous incarnation of the CU. According to p. 43 of the [i']Champions Universe[/i] sourcebook, it now stands for "Paranormal Research and Investigation Mission of the United States."

Primus doesn't seem to serve a real purpose in the current (or for the matter the previous) CU - other then "its Until ran by americans'

Most of my games either have Until or Primus rarely both.

Wow. Was there any significant change to the org to reflect the name change? Sounds more like a STAR labs type group rather than SHIELD. Methinks perhaps only changed for change's sake? Or perhaps did the agent organization grow out of the research successes with Cyberline' date=' etc?[/quote']

Well, according to Champions Universe, the success of Cyberline was incorporated into the PRIMUS structure via the Avenger program. However, I think the change may be partly due to PRIMUS in the new CU being conceived from the beginning as subsidiary to the Department of Justice, hence a civilian law-enforcement organization; therefore the "military" part of the old acronym likely no longer applies.

However, "response and interdiction" still seems to be the primary mandate of PRIMUS, rather than "research and investigation." :confused:

The 5th Edition made some changes. UNTIL now is allowed to operate within the USA again. In 4th Edition PRIMUS absorbed SAT and UNTIL was not allowed to operate inside the US since the idea of an armed force that was not US-controlled operating inside the US was something that the government would not stand for. Even though UNTIL is now inside the US, PRIMUS is still as powerful an organization as ever.

Though I have Champions Universe, I never really agreed with the UNTIL back in the US concept. If anything it seems like the UN is even less popular within the US nowadays. As a result of my own views I hadn't bothered to read up on this particular situation (in my group's campaign UNTIL is still not allowed in the US). I was unaware of the name change until Lord Laiden pointed it out (thanks LL). I don't really see any reason for the name change other than the book's authors (Steve Long & Darren Watts) prefering the new name.

Sorry if I steered you wrong Jeff T.

- I agree that the UN probably grows less and less popular in the real world, but remember in the CU a huge factor in letting them operate here was that they might have been able to prevent Doctor Destroyer from destroying Detroit. :)

- Well, I was actually looking for the old acronym, so you didn't actually steer me wrong. :thumbup:

Well' date=' according to [i']Champions Universe[/i], the success of Cyberline was incorporated into the PRIMUS structure via the Avenger program. However, I think the change may be partly due to PRIMUS in the new CU being conceived from the beginning as subsidiary to the Department of Justice, hence a civilian law-enforcement organization; therefore the "military" part of the old acronym likely no longer applies.

Interestingly enough, 4E PRIMUS was also subsidiary to the DOJ (through the FBI), at least according to Classic Organizations. The story was that the powers that be originally conceived it as part of the military (hence the acronym and the paramilitary command structure), but it was eventually organized as a civilian agency.

PRIMUS, as originally introduced in (as I recall) Champions 3e, was a Dept of Justice agency with a relationship to the Army analogous to the Coast Guard being a (pre-Homeland Security) Dept of the Treasury agency which came under Navy command in wartime. The 4e PRIMUS e-book removed that relationship between PRIMUS and the Army in wartime via a reorganization. 5e PRIMUS apparently never had that status at all, and has always (in the 5e CU) been a civilian law enforcement agency. (Which leaves open, in my mind, the question of why the military, in the Special Operations Command at least, has never fielded Cyberline enhanced operatives.)