Working on New Constantinople

Hermit

Re: Working on New Constantinople

Supershakk - alt-rock band that makes its home in New Constantinople. Haven't made it really big yet' date=' but do go on frequent regional and occaisional national tours. In between, they frequently play gigs at local venues, especially to try out new material, sometimes under alternate stage names like [i']The League of Extraordinary Musicians, The Rock Society of America, [/i]and The Invisible Uglymen from Pluto. They're fans themselves of many superheroes and have a long tradition of including them in their songs, dating back to the song "Colossus" on thier debut 1996 album, which compared the singer's love for his girlfriend to the giant hero. With this new wave of supers emerging in New Constantinople, it may just be a matter of time before some of them get "theme songs" of their own.

Discography:

Supershakk (1996) - 5-song mini release (limited distribution)

Supershakk (1997) - full album release, the mini+extra material (wider distribution)

Prime Numbers (1998) - includes first Top 40 (#15) hit "Song 13"

Supertour (1999) - Live album from first national tour

Maxie Faxie (2002)

Get Your Own Sharona (2004)

Supersonikk (2005)

The band:

Zach Alejandrino (fans sometimes call him "Superzakk") - frontman, singer and bass player.

Corey Fukijiwa - lead guitar, background vocals

Peggy Leibowitz - drums, background vocals

Ramon Morales - keyboards/second guitar/trumpet/flute/sax/background vocals

Wow, could these guys be any more of a posterboy for the rainbow coalition?

I think these guys are a little too cliche.

This is your show Hermit so you can go where the winds of inspiration take you, but things like this are turning this into a very generic west coast boring cali city instead of something that started out rather unique for the west coast.

TB

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, could these guys be any more of a posterboy for the rainbow coalition?

I think these guys are a little too cliche.

This is your show Hermit so you can go where the winds of inspiration take you, but things like this are turning this into a very generic west coast boring cali city instead of something that started out rather unique for the west coast.

TB

Well, again, I can't stress enough that this is meant to be something that anyone can take and alter to flavor. Some seem to be worried New Con is going too greek, others that that it going too generic. My advice is lean towards your preferences. Professional products rarely get taken as is, so I didn't presume this one would :)

I've given some thought to the greater metropolitan region of NewConn, and would like to offer a few more suggestions:

Copper Bluff. This small city, north of Rhodes and east of Argo, was the recipient of much of the manufacturing which left Riverside to take advantage of abundant electricity from nearby Ashby Dam. Having grown considerably over the last twenty years, Copper Bluff is the center of metal smelting and refining in the region, including "The Big Penny," largest copper smelter in the state. The eight-hundred-foot smoke stack of the Big Penny is the city's outstanding landmark.

Blue Dales. This region of valleys, villages and family farms east of Athens contains the best agricultural land in the vicinity of New Constantinople. The area is particularly suited to grape growing, and Blue Dales wines are becoming known across the United States and internationally. One vineyard produces a particularly famous ice wine, "Hellenic Blue."

Shackelford. The large town of Shackelford northeast of East Glennport was built on the lumber industry in the early twentieth century. As the old-growth timber in the immediate vicinity of the town was harvested, Shackelford expanded into milling and pulp-and-paper manufacturing, which remains the lifeblood of the community. Much of that industry, and the surrounding timberland, is owned by Mendelson Forestry, a major wood-products corporation.

One particularly ancient stand of pine and Douglas fir, on the slopes of Mount Cale, has been designated as a state park. This probably would not have happened if not for the inexplicable failure of every past attempt to harvest the trees. Machinery would constantly break down, freak accidents kept occurring with alarming frequency, and lumberjacks would sometimes simply disappear without a trace.

Colby, South Colby and Colby Point. These towns are typical suburban bedroom communities east of NewConn, extending from the border with Bowers Gardens south to the Pacific shoreline abutting Marble Beach. Predominantly middle and upper-middle class, NewConners sometimes disparagingly refer to them as "the three-headed baby." The main difference between the three towns is median income: the houses become larger and fancier as you progress south from Colby down to Colby Point.

Blue Dales. This region of valleys, villages and family farms west of Athens contains the best agricultural land in the vicinity of New Constantinople. The area is particularly suited to grape growing, and Blue Dales wines are becoming known across the United States and internationally. One vineyard produces a particularly famous ice wine, "Hellenic Blue."

I wondered if Frost was too frequent for that in the OR area, but unless someone from the area tells me that it is, this sounds good to me.:)

Once again, GM SPOILER TIME!!

Actually' date=' I forgot Dr. Yin Wu, he might have some interest in Kong Town, an Agent of his own, or even a domicile he visits here from time to time. I know little of the character so if anyone else wants to take a stab at his possible relation to the city, feel free[/quote']

Well, Dr. Wu is said to maintain estates in Chinatowns all over the world, to which he can travel magically when he feels like a change of scenery. The locals don't advertise his presence, but they know when he's there and tread lightly. He builds his dwellings at particularly favorable feng shui locations, so if such exists at NewConn that might be sufficient motivation.

If there's any representation by the Cult of the Red Banner in New Constantinople, that could definitely attract the Doctor's attention. You see, the Cult worships the Death Dragon, an avatar of The Dragon; while Yin Wu is a member of the Watchers of the Dragon, a group dedicated to preventing the Death Dragon's manifestation on Earth. Yin Wu is said to despise the Cult and take every opportunity to stamp them out - I would guess that the feeling is mutual. So, whichever party is there first, it would make sense for the other to try to eliminate the opposition, which might put the PCs in the midst of an occult war in Kong Town.

Hermit, I would recommend picking up The Dragon Mandarin PDF from the Online Store. I know that you've expressed lack of interest in Dr. Yin Wu, but this book is only $5.00, for which you get background on Yin Wu, as well as character sheets for super, pulp, fantasy and cyberpunk versions of the Doctor; full writeups of his "Four Sons of the Dragon," martial art villains; plus a sizeable list of writeups of magic spells and artifacts drawn from Chinese legend, with a very different flavor from Western magic.

On the subject of the Red Banner, do you perchance own The Kandris Seal? I was recently reviewing the info about the Cult in first edition Ultimate Martial Artist, and I realized that the villainous group "The Order of the Serpent" from KS would be an almost perfect fit with the Red Banner cult in motivation, style and objectives. The Order could be used to flesh out the Cult, in ways that wouldn't strain the official concept of the Red Banner.

PSI West

GM's Only

I mean it, Spoilers. Do not look.

PSI West

Kathy thought everything was just perfect. Her hand outstretched towards Bob's. Would tonight be the night he asked? At the other chair of the table for two, Bob smiled softly and he couldn't take his gaze away from her. She'd worn his favorite dress, a slinky little black thing that never failed to draw his eye. Kathy felt embarrassed, she wanted to reach out and touch his face, to tell him how very much she loved him, but she held herself in check.

Bob began to speak of the changes of work, how well things were going for him lately. Kathy's smile broadened, but showed no surprise. He was a hard worker who took his responsibilities seriously. It was one of the things she loved about him. She spoke to him, soft affirmations and congratulations. Kathy had always been patient, and gentle by nature. If her hopes were right, this man she would do anything for was trying to explain how he now had the cash to make 'an honest' woman of her. She felt an odd sensation, a loss of balance almost for a moment there. Briefly she wondered if there had been something wrong with the shrimp.

Bob blathered on, sure taking his sweet time to getting around to it, Kathy thought with sudden mounting irritation. Did he really think she was impressed that he'd made more cash ? Hell, that time could have been better spent with HER, instead of deserting her, neglecting her. Her formerly pleasant smile began to fade, then invert into a scowl the more she thought about it. Who the hell told him that tie looked good on him?

Bob yapped on, clueless to the annoyance of the woman with him, but at least he had changed the subject to how much he loved her, and how much her patience had meant. Great, thought Kathy, that really means a lot to me-not. She was almost surprised at the tone of scorn in her thoughts. Why am I with this idiot? His breathing was offensive, his voice grating. God, won't he EVER shut up? Suddenly, she realized it, she hated Bob; Hated him with all her heart, body, and soul. She was repulsed she'd ever let him TOUCH her. A new urge, a violent desire the young peace loving woman had never known before filled her. Without even thinking any further, she reached for the steak knife.

There were screams from the customers and staff as security rushed to seize the woman in the slinky black dress who had just knifed her date in the throat.

At another table, a longhaired man in rather casual clothing for the restaurant turned to his dinner companion, "She was living for someone else. It's really better now, she's free. Oh, do I pass?"

His companion responded quietly, not that whispering was needed, the din of confusion, the ranting of Kathy as she yelled to the dying man she loved but five minutes ago about how much she hated him now, all killed any chance of being overheard, "You pass, Flipside. Welcome to PSI West."

Never keep all your eggs in one basket, that's the logic that convinced Psimon to allow a new branch of PSI to begin a presence in New Constantinople. In some ways, PSI West has embraced the 'fun side' of being a group of relatively young mentalists with powers opposed to the more somber scheming of the central team. Of course, anyone who thinks this means the group of PSI West is therefore nicer, clearly doesn't understand what some of the members here consider "fun".

Mind Incorporated does not yet have an establishment in New Constantinople (indeed, some of PSI West don't even know about that company in order to prevent a domino effect if anyone ever captures them). Instead, the members are allowed to pursue their own projects, and the city has become something of a playground/experimental lab for each

Membership

Afterthought Depending on how many fellow mentalists are around her, Afterthought is either among the most powerful members of PSI West, or the weakest. She can duplicate, instantly, the power of any mentalist around her, but when none are about, she seemingly has no psychic power at all. Fortunately, her identity as one of the city's upper crust bachelorettes means even when powerless mentally, she's not impotent socially. Understandably, Afterthought is torn between hanging out with other mentalists and feeling the rush of their power, or staying among the elite where many of her fellow PSI members can not follow.

Bliss One of the older members of this otherwise youthful group, Bliss is a middle aged man, and licensed psychologist and therapy hypnotist. His power is rather simple, he can make people fall into a waking dream of their fondest desires come true. The power is limited in scope, but powerful and easily masked under the pretense of hypnotic therapy sessions. His more dangerous "power" is the ability to declare someone mentally unfit, and begin making inroads into having said someone removed from civilized society using the law to do it.

Flipside- A mentalist with the ability to instantly size someone up (ie, Detect their Pscyh lims) and then reverse or 'flip' their personality, either in whole or partially. Flipside excuses his behavior as 'setting people free from old restraints', but the truth of the matter is all he does is twist the existing restraints around. Flipside's blends in best with the college crowd, where abrupt lifestyle changes are more likely to be explained away, but every once in awhile he enjoys visiting the burbs where he sees 'mental constrictions that require loosening' as a bigger challenge.

Mantle A 'tactile telekinetic' Mantle is probably the closest thing to a brick PSI has. His TK field protects him from bullets, allows him to mimic many of the effects of super strength, and race along inches above the ground at a pretty fair clip. Despite the obvious nature of his powers, Mantle is among the more serious minded members of PSI West, and as his field makes him even more resistant to mental powers, one that the others fear. He's told the others more than once, that if any of them blow it big and endanger PSI's secrecy, he'll rip them apart… and look for another one just like them. He's not the joking sort.

Puppetshow- Puppetshow is so dubbed because of the unique nature of her mental powers. Her mind control needs no words, but her hands must be free as she directs her "marionettes" to their doom with but a few gestures. Unlike some mind controllers, her victims are well aware they are being mind controlled the entire time, but they are helpless to resist the pull of their strings. There's no pretense with her, she just enjoys the power she has over others and uses it like a cat playing with a mouse. She's often assigned the job of causing 'troublesome' folks who may know too much about PSI to walk off rooftops. She's been feeling a bit frustrated lately, even PSI west has a need for secrecy and unlike other mind controllers, but her nature and powers actually fit an overt and flagrant fashion better.

Rewind- A retrocog, this teen age girl is too scared of what PSI might do to her family to disobey them. Her ability to perceive into the recent past has made her a valuable information source. Unknown to the rest of PSI, she has recently been having flashes of the future, a secret she keeps to herself out of fear they'll have her help hunt down people who haven't even done anything to them… yet. She's been ordered to keep watch on other teens at the mall etc to see if any of them might have signs of psychic potential.

Scrambler At first able to erode willpower, intellect, or confidence with but a touch, Scrambler has come a long way since then. He can now project his power a greater distance, or boost the same things he once diminished. He too, is interested in teenage recruitment, as his guise is that of a high school teacher. By influencing the students pro or con at times, he hopes to 'nudge' a few potentials. Scrambler seems warm, friendly, and a lot more together than some of his team mates, but the truth is he's as much a control freak as Puppetshow, he's just better at hiding it.

Re: PSI West

This is a pretty fresh set of "psionic" concepts, Hermit. I would be interested in viewing their builds to see how you model their abilities mechanically. :thumbup:

Glad you like, I was rather pleased myself. The Flipside concept got so many nice bits of praise in the WWYCD: Flipside thread, that I decided to use him for the group. Since he's on another thread, I don't think mentioning him in this post is a major spoiler.

As for writing them up... no promises. Everytime I say I'll do that lately, I end up slagging off. :(

I can definitely see the PCs finding themselves in the middle of a conflict between PSI West and the IHA. :fear:

Shadowwars? Clandestine battles between two great evils where heroes must do what they can to save the pawns, while risking become pawns themselves? A Jedi craves not these things....

but some GMs do :eg:

Re: PSI West

Looking again at the NewConn map, I thought of another municipality to help flesh out the vicinity around the main city:

Wayborn. The town of Wayborn, situated on the coast to the west of North Way, was originally a part of the city of Glennport. After New Constantinople annexed part of that city as North Way, Wayborn became a separate entity (rather ironically renamed).

Wayborn was initially a small and relatively poor fishing community, but its economy was given a shot in the arm when it was chosen for construction of docking and repair facilities to service the ferries running from Argo to Crescent. Several local entrepreneurs saw an opportunity to expand on this development, and persuaded businesses in NewConn to invest in more drydocks and machinery. Today Wayborn is dominated by small but diverse boatbuilding and boat repairing businesses, servicing not only the ferry line but New Constantinople's fishing fleet and the water taxis that ply the tourist trade, as well as private commissions by the city's wealthy boating enthusiasts. Wayborn's population has more than doubled over the past five years, leading to a local boom in the housing market and retail and service sectors.

Villain Teams in New Con

And here comes a list of some supervillain teams and their possible relations or interaction with New Constantinople.

*SPOILERS*

*GM types only unless you want things ruined for you*

Supervillain Teams in New Constantinople

The Choir: In a city with elegance and charm, the plots of Virtuoso are more likely to find a home. New Constantinople qualifies. When it needs a respite from its battle with the MC-8 of Millennium City, New Con is one place they can flex their muscles and perfect their criminal performance. What's more, more than one member has personal business in the city. Crescendo has learned of some subtle manipulation in the city against mutant kind, and is more than happy to terrorize IHA for it, heedless that this only fuels the IHA propaganda fires. Even more outraged is Soprano, who has discovered that the pig of an owner of New Con's Club Spandex has dancers dress up as her... HER! Such an insult is not to be borne. She plans on destroying the place personally and soon.

The Crowns of Krim: The Crowns have been at New Constantinople years before, and they were defeated, or at least driven off in no small part thanks to the holy aura of the Νέος Sophia. This indignity has not been forgotten, and the Crowns to return, and despite the risk, find a way to despoil, defile, or just plan destroy the temple. While magical mayhem is what inspires terror in the masses, Dark Seraph is considering a slower approach to achieving these goals, as he's begun to suspect that more than one mystic power of might already dwells in the city.

The Devil's Advocates: While the more powerful Crowns are cautious due to the mystic forces in the city, the Devil's Advocates would welcome them. Any public display of occult might only helps their cause as far as they are concerned. The Advocates have another reason for visiting the city, recruitment. Between angry totem spirits, the influence of greek gods, and holy priests alike, the Demonologist is sure that more than one mystic in the wings of the city might share common interest with them.

Eurostar: Obviously, the west coast of the United States is a bit beyond Eurostar's standard field of operation, but they might have some reasons for coming over. Perhaps, the navy base to the south might be attacked in retaliation for any American naval operations in European waters.

GRAB: Wherever there are spoils to be had, you'll find GRAB good to go. Robbing the snobs of Palisades, or stealing historical goodies from the museums would no doubt be a delight to them. What's more, with some rising stars of martial arts movies now living in Kong Town, Cheshire Cat has personal reasons to visit. If they hang around long enough, or try to rob the wrong people, GRAB will no doubt get into trouble, trouble that the PCs might be needed to bail them out from.

The Ultimates: They have Starbird, will travel. Unlike some teams, the Ultimates can cross the country side easily whenever they like, and if a job pays enough (either in the pay off, or the pay they get for mercenary work). What's more, the budding tech industry here, while not as cutting edge as Millennium City, isn't too far behind, and probably less secure; All in all, a ripe plum for the team to reach for.

• 1 month later...

Re: Villain Teams in New Con

Say, Hermit, is there any place on the Internet that you have info posted about your campaign that those of us on the fringes can view? You know, PC and/or NPC writeups, campaign logs, that sort of thing?

I'm curious to see what elements from all these suggestions you decided to use, and how you've been using them. If you have reasons to keep that stuff just within your gaming circle, though, no problem. :)

Well, actually...

I am using it for my campaign in Hero Central currently, some of the elements were already in use so may be very different, many others haven't been introduced yet. Currently, Teleios has attempted to take in several women of the city for a new procedure to empower them... (most, coincidnetally, the PCs DNPCs etc) for some secret purpose. VIPER has lost a nest AND it's Nest leader (Not the Ferryman, though this now allows me to bring that Nest Leader in) and as the nest evacs, the snake thrashes, sending out random squads to attack the city to buy time for the rest of the agents to transfer to new locations unmolested... with only UNTIL and the heroes to deal with it.

Some players have had to leave (one a father now, another having work and charity events), so it's been very fluid. Actually, I even wrote a bit of off panel fiction for the players. I may reprint some here.

I believe he forgot to mention that he's managed to create an even bigger headache than Foxbat with Captain Chronos -- who may yet be renamed 'Reynold's Wrap' some day...

And we're having a blast with New Conn, so let me say thanks to everyone who's contributed their two cents or so...

Tom/Speedzone

• 2 months later...

Colleges and Universities

New Constantinople has three major colleges plus quite a few smaller schools, vocational and otherwise. Clustered chiefly in the Athens neighborhood, college students from one university often interact with those of others. Some listed are:

New Constantinople University- The largest college in New Constantinople manages to hold its own pretty well, excelling in both business and pre med programs. It is also praised for an extensive scholarship program, made possible by anonymous donations. At least one was made in the name of Colossus, but whether the hero himself arranged it before he died, or some admirer(s) has arranged one in his name is unknown, though students love to speculate. This is also the college with KBOB 86.2 FM aka "Bob's Station"

University of Oregon New Constantinople-A smaller outlet for the main University of Oregon located near Eugene, UONC still holds a sizable amount of students. It is about to par quality wise with the other branches of University of Oregon. It does have at least one teacher of note to the superhuman set, Kendell Reeves, a former government liason to no less than two super hero teams, now teaches sociology there.

John Heck Academy- "Going to Heck" is a fun phrase for the students bound to this Academy to use ,and they do it frequently. Chiefly a center of learning for engineering and technical design, the Heck University often feels over shadowed and ignored by the more vibrant colleges in the area, particularly when it comes to sports. As if to make themselves get notice, some of the students, calling themselves 'Heckraisers' have been pulling some very off the wall pranks utilizing their scientific know how. Just which students are members of the Heckraisers is unknown, as is just how they managed to get the cars of the players of the NCU football team up on the top of that University's Student Center roof.

St. Kyriakos Seminary-Founded decades ago, this Eastern Orthodox seminary has been training young men for the priest hood for some time. Furthermore, it has repeatedly earned much prestige in the area of archaelogy even in secular circles. Its speciality is, of course, biblical archaelogy, but it is hardly limited to that. A section of the grounds is reserved the monastery.

Hey, NewCon is back! I was just looking at this thread yesterday, wondering how things had been going. :)

And, just because I can't resist putting in my two cents :sneaky: :

Universal Christian Theological Seminary- Decades ago this seminary catered solely to Eastern Orthodox teachings' date=' but it eventually expanded and grew to encompass any Christian Denomination. Furthermore, it has repeatedly earned much prestige in the area of archaelogy even in secular circles. Its speciality is, of course, biblical archaelogy, but it is hardly limited to that.

[/quote']

The Crowns of Krim: The Crowns have been at New Constantinople years before' date=' and they were defeated, or at least driven off in no small part thanks to the holy aura of the Νέος Sophia. This indignity has not been forgotten, and the Crowns to return, and despite the risk, find a way to despoil, defile, or just plan destroy the temple. While magical mayhem is what inspires terror in the masses, Dark Seraph is considering a slower approach to achieving these goals, as he's begun to suspect that more than one mystic power of might already dwells in the city.

[/quote']

Seems to me there's potential sinister linkage there. :eg:

Thanks, LL, good point. Could be. One plot seed I thought of was that

The School has dug up and is assembling an old idol of Baal. What a prize it would make in the wrong hands given the blood and power that had been fed into it in days of yore.

Nice one, Hermit.

Definitely something that the various occult factions in NewCon would be interested in. I should point out that Bloodstone of the Crowns is an archaeology professor in his Secret ID, and could be a visiting prof at the Seminary or one of the universities. If so he'd undoubtedly be clued in to this. An object of blood sacrifice might be particularly potent in his hands.

(Your players viewing this thread must be so frustrated by now.) ;)

I like what you've added accept the Seminary.

Having them go "non-denominational" would be totally unlikely. Would a Catholic seminary start training Lutheran Priests?

If you are going to have an Orthodox Seminary, have an Orthodox Seminary. Otherwise, make it a Protestant Seminary (Methodist, Presbyterian, etc...) that went non-denominational. It just isn't plausible otherwise.

TB --My uncle was the President and presiding Bishop of the Orthodox Seminary in Boston.

Street Gangs of New Constantinople

While they maybe fearsome to Joe Average, the streetgangs of New Constantinople are actually on the bottom of the food chain of crime. Many of them are not even independent, working to one degree or another for the Overboss of Organized Crime in the city.The gangs of the city are often more ethnically diverse within themselves that is often seen as typical.

Most of the gangs are in the area of Crosstown, particularly the most brutal and violent ones. A few linger in Downshores, but Grayden, Kongtown, and Crescent also have gangs in the area.

Some of the better known streetgangs are:

Raptors- Wearing green and black, the Raptors are vicious and violent in both their initiation rituals and day to day activities. They prefer protection rackets, mugging, and prostitition when they can, but engage in some of the harder drug deals as well. They are known for heavy handed and brutish tactics. They're also in a war for new turf in crosstown with their biggest rivals, the Bandits.

Bandits-Wearing blue and black, the bandits aren't much nicer than the Raptors. They first formed up for mutual protection against the Raptors, but have since gotten involved in the same sorts of 'bizness'. They do excell a bit more at the art of carjacking, if art it is.

Reyes- A mostly hispanic gang (but not entirely), the Reyes are new players in the world of New Constantinople. They began in California, but have spread to the Northwest as well. Their speciality is using immigrants of all sorts, illegal or otherwise, preying on them in anyway possible. In addition to drugmule operations, they've begun a very lucritive trade in white slavery. They've learned who not to tick off, and who to give a cut to; it's paid off handsomely for them in a con where women from the Ukraine are smuggled in under pretense of getting an acting job, only to find themselves forced into prostitution or slavery. They prefer to work the Downshores area.

The Cougars-The cougars are a 'softer' gang than the others. Most of the other gangs consider them 'wimps' due to a distaste for violence evident in them, but the cougars DO have one thing going for them (or against them, depending on how you see it), they're loyal to each other. Anyone of them would rather die than sell out the only family he or she has and when their backs are to the wall, they will fight fiercely for each other. This doesn't mean they are cute and fuzzy, far from it; but of all the gangs they might be the most salvagable by a superhero willing to take a chance. They are also vulnerable to influence from supervillains or organized crime.They roam the areas they can between Crosstown and Crescent.

The Resplendent Plumes-On the Border of Grayden and Kongtown, the Resplendent Plumes roam. The dinstive and elaborate peacock designs they were as symbols on their jackets, and often tatoos on their backs make them truly stand out. They are skilled fighters, more than a few of them seemed to have picked up some geniune martial arts training. Little else is known about them, and those in the know don't seem to be talking.