Working on New Constantinople

Hermit

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Working on New Constantinople

Detailing neighborhoods with rough road designs clipped from a city maker program.

Here's Crescent so far:

1. New Constantinople Maritime Museum

2. The Chinono Memorial Museum

3. City Ferry

4. The Paranormal Archives

5. Police Station

6. Titans Basketball Arena

7. Reflective Moments: Finest Mirrors Anywhere

8. Worldwide Whale Watch

I see you've started to address that map-detail deficiency you were concerned about. ;)

Thanks for the ongoing contribution, Hermit. It's great to see this grand super-city receiving attention again.

BTW is your New Con campaign still running?

I see you've started to address that map-detail deficiency you were concerned about. ;)

Thanks for the ongoing contribution, Hermit. It's great to see this grand super-city receiving attention again.

BTW is your New Con campaign still running?

Yes, though barely some days ;)

It has become different from what I've posted here, often due to GM forgetfulness. For example, I initially listed The Spandex Club as in Cross Town, just on the border of Crescent, yet in the game, I had it in Crescent period because I had forgotten. I'm not really trying hard to keep them connected per se. This thread is meant more to create a blank template folks can populate with their own heroes.

• 2 years later...

*blinks at thread reappearance*

The collection of TXT files I've got in a folder on my desktop works pretty well, but as another online GM, it's always easy to accidentally shift minor (and not so minor) details during the course of play...

(I'm one of the players in New Conn)

• 2 years later...

True.

Else Earth has a few cities that are only tenuously mentioned in my brain, let alone on paper or computer anywhere.

Center City (I blame Villains and Vigilantes) - a tech wonderland in middle America.

Empire City/Victoria (haven't decided) - city on an artificially raised Island off the northern British isles. Very High Tech (Alien Technology)

Probably more - Else Earth is a more progressive, achievement oriented Earth. So there are possibly some boom cities world wide. Perhaps that Dubai wannabe in South Korea? Plans look like a comic book city as it is.

One of the things I liked best about New Constantinople was its Greek heritage, which made it distinct from other large American cities. If you plan to set your city in Texas it would be nice for a change if it could be less dominated by either the white American or Hispanic traditions.

I think it would be interesting to have a major city with a large Native American population and identity. In Texas I would suggest putting it in the western corner of Texas, in the sparsely-populated Presidio County. As you can see, the area has a varied topography with interesting possibilities. (Also note the "Marfa Lights" in that article.) Before European contact it was also a trading center and crossroads for native peoples. The La Junta Indians, its inhabitants, appear to have been an ethnically-diverse group originating from other areas. Other tribes displaced by war or Europeans also found their way there.

I think it would be possible to "what if" a sizeable city in the La Junta region, perhaps at the site of the present border town of Presidio. Less warfare and disease decimating the Indian population, some early shrewd business investment, more extensive irrigation to improve agricultural land, making those silver mines more productive, maybe adding some oil reserves to the county, and I think it could work.

It could, but I''d be too worried about stepping on Meriquai Falls. I think Dale may still be working on it, unless its been released and I missed it.
Fair enough. I think the location still has potential, though. Moreover, the aforementioned town of Presidio is directly across the Rio Grande from Ojinaga, Mexico. Expanding Presidio into a major city would provide potential for cross-border adventuring, similar to the Millennium City/ Windsor relationship in the Champions Universe.

It could, but I''d be too worried about stepping on Meriquai Falls. I think Dale may still be working on it, unless its been released and I missed it.
Oh, I agree. It's a good location for the reasons you mention. I still might go with it, and thank you for the suggestion, I just won't play up the Amerind elements too strongly for the aforementioned reason