Working on New Constantinople

Hermit

Re: Working on New Constantinople

I like what you've added accept the Seminary.

Having them go "non-denominational" would be totally unlikely. Would a Catholic seminary start training Lutheran Priests?

If you are going to have an Orthodox Seminary, have an Orthodox Seminary. Otherwise, make it a Protestant Seminary (Methodist, Presbyterian, etc...) that went non-denominational. It just isn't plausible otherwise.

TB --My uncle was the President and presiding Bishop of the Orthodox Seminary in Boston.

I suppose I could say the original seminary went bankrupt belly up etc, got sold, and re opened to a protestant non denomiational group and has been that way ever since. *Considers*

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose I could say the original seminary went bankrupt belly up etc' date=' got sold, and re opened to a protestant non denomiational group and has been that way ever since. *Considers*[/quote']Or just keep it Orthodox?

Put a monestary there as well, a significant portion of Orthodox priests are also Monks (my uncle being one of them http://www.denver.goarch.org/bio.html).

TB

Or just keep it Orthodox?

Put a monestary there as well, a significant portion of Orthodox priests are also Monks (my uncle being one of them http://www.denver.goarch.org/bio.html).

TB

Neat.

About the seminary in New Con, what would you reccomend for the name for it, assuming it needs changed?

The Resplendent Plumes-On the Border of Grayden and Kongtown' date=' the Resplendent Plumes roam. The dinstive and elaborate peacock designs they were as symbols on their jackets, and often tatoos on their backs make them truly stand out. They are skilled fighters, more than a few of them seemed to have picked up some geniune martial arts training. Little else is known about them, and those in the know don't seem to be talking.[/quote']

Unless you've already established him somewhere else in your campaign world, this might be a good intro to Jade Phoenix, from the Millennium City sourcebook (assuming you have that). Kong Town would have been as good a place as any for him to relocate after leaving Hong Kong, and taking on followers to establish himself as a crimelord is one of the suggested paths for the character. And the "plume" motif would seem to be a natural association.

I can't seem to leave New Constantinople alone. You've made it just too interesting, darn you all to heck! ;)

How about Three options for GMs to pick for themselves? :) They'll just use what they want anywway.

Overboss option 1-

Dolios aka Nikoli Dolios is a demi god, birthed decades ago when Hermes came to see the city. His mortal mother put him up for adoption, but Nick never did feel like he could relate. He was stronger, faster, and oh so much smarter than his peers. It became harder and harder to rationalize why he should play by anyone's rules. Suffice to say, he got into trouble...a lot.

Then one day, he encountered his father. His REAL father. It was not a pleasant meeting. Hermes was not human enough to understand what his son's problem was. Nick was human enough to feel hurt and betrayed, and godly enough to be arrogant about it. He demanded a gift from his father, and Hermes, amused, gave one of his names...Dolios which means "The Schemer"

and told him that was gift enough for anyone, then left his ingrateful (to his eyes) child on his own anew. Nick took that name, and recreated himself, and took steps that only a half mortal could get away with. He even poisoned himself along with dozens of others to remove his rivals in the criminal underworld. He survived the poison, but they didn't, and it worked nicely to frame the rivals who refused to come to dinner binding the family under them.

Now, Nikoli Dolios is a name to be feared. The center of a criminal web, if he isn't welcome as a man among Gods, at least he can be a veritable god among men.

Option 2:

William T Marrow aka "Bones"

"Ladies and gentlemen, noted philantrhopist and head of the New Contantahopeful charity, Mr. William T. Marrow," Lace Summersby stepped aside for the old man half the city loved.

The old man moved stiffly, but proudly to it, using only a cane for support. Dubbed 'Everybody's grandpa' , Mr. Marrow chuckled into the mic, "I don't see what the fuss is about this birthday of mine, after all, I'm only 30 years old... give or take 612 months," Marrow winked. The laughter and applause was almost enough to warm an oldman's heart, almost, inside, he remained as cold as ever, "Yes, it is sad really, I got my start selling antiques, and now I am one. Life has given me so much already, but now you show such kindness to come to this, my birthday party, and more importantly, a charity fund raiser to help rebuild New Orleans after the Katrina disaster. Charity begins at home, they say, and I agree, but I think our home only as small as our hearts. I ask you to reach into yours."

Thunderous cheers much praise, and of course, money... Money that would be useful in making sure new buildings had special storage areas for expanding smuggling, and even give him a chance to control TWO cities, influence on two coasts. It was too big a prize not to take a chance on. Pity the former crime lord there had a drowining accident.

Slipping into the limo after, William T. Marrow caught up with his aide, "That went well. Now, how are the downtrodden parts of the city we seek to save?"

"Not great boss, that mission on Flint Rd in Crosstown actually cutting into drug sales. Want me to sic a gang on them?" Frankie was 'old mob' Sicilian descent. "Bones" always found the idea of cutting out a man of the upper circles because of his race, creed, or color to be a stupid idea, but Frankie had earned his spot on merits beyond a classic 'mobster' accent.

"And make a martyr out of the preacher working there? Of course not. Call Satin, tell her to drug him... let's make sure he wakes up with one of the better actresses among the stables.. a young one. Catch him on film with jailbait, and we'll either own him, or release it, and destroy him."

"Yes sir," Frankie smiled.

Bones frowned for a moment as he saw his reflection in the jet glass of his limo, Now, if only I could buy some years without someone owning -me-.

Option 3-

"My name is Desiree Winger, formerly known as Dreadwing. What a silly time that was before; I was a third rate villain all too easily caught by Colossus or any other superhero in the city. Perhaps I felt like a freak, and wanted 'revenge' but communicating with birds and possessing wings does not a world conquerer make. I was used by many masterminds, and some not so masterful minds... as hired muscle. Then , one day, I realized those that worked least seemed to get the biggest pie. So I seduced one of my bosses, easy work, and a necessary way to get to know the operation. Suddenly, being able to see what other birds all over the city saw didn't seem nearly as silly. I had spies everywhere. My boss and lover came to... rely on me. Sexist pig thought it was 'cute' that I wanted to help.

Pigs, by the way, are smart animals, they're cute in their way, but in the end, most get slaughtered. Darn shame about that. By the time I made my move, I either had enough on the other bosses, or had removed them already. Now I hire the muscle. I'm a third tier supervillain..

but in this world of Organized Crime? I've come a long way, baby, indeed.

Heck, I've even broken a few bad habits. Oh, I still monologue and gloat, but now I do it AFTER I've had the guy killed, not before." With that, the overboss of the city patted the corpse's spandexed cheek, and walked out. Clean ups were now someone else's job.

Nice set of crooks there. ;) There's really no reason why a GM couldn't use more than one of them' date=' or even all three. I've noticed that other city sourcebooks feature rival crime lords, which adds to the possible complications that PCs can find themselves in.[/quote']

True. I'm going with option 2 in my current campaign, but option 1 and 3 could make ambitious underbosses or even rivals after all.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Whoa, I was just viewing this thread last night - for a moment I thought I'd caused it to spontaneously revive! :eek:

As for fitting this beautiful rendering by Mr. Cook into New Con, my first thought is that he could be a ranking member of the Cult of the Red Banner in Kong Town. A number of the servants of the Dragon have or can assume draconic forms.

The original take on the character is that you know how all these martial arts manoeuvres have fancy names like tail sweeps the ground and claw of the dragon ? Well how could a human learn them if they didn't come from a dragon or similar previously. And this business about all those fancy martial arts master abilities like immortality etc, isn't it more conceivable that something like a dragon taught people how to use them first ?

One thing for a write up. This ain't a disciple. This is a master. Note the style of his uniform. Oh and yes he does breathe fire. He's a red dragon ain't he ?

Hmmmm, Sylph tends to get all the mythological stuff -- but he could give Issac competition for Katya's attention... ;)

And Tandem could use an inscrutable (sober) mentoring influence...

(Ron and Selyna don't lurk the HG boards much, so those suggestions shouldn't get me into too much trouble...)

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Storn and Death Tribble, I'm working on having a certain dragon mentor being the one who is teaching the Resplendent Plumes the martial arts they know. They have to butter the vain dragon up, but it's worth learning all these cool moves.

Thanks to Storn and Death Tribble' date=' I'm working on having a certain dragon mentor being the one who is teaching the Resplendent Plumes the martial arts they know. They have to butter the vain dragon up, but it's worth learning all these cool moves.

[/quote']

How did this dragon end up in New Con? What does he do when he's not kicking the Plumes into shape?

If he can assume a human appearance, his vanity might be pleased by a career in martial-arts flicks for the Kong Town film industry. :cool: