Working on New Constantinople

Hermit

Re: Working on New Constantinople

I like a lot of the ideas thrown out here. The sports teams are neat' date=' and I like them having the unique history. One thing I would change, is give the current NFL Franchise a different name. Names do often follow teams, looking at St. Louis, we had the Cardinals, they left for Phoenix, and remained the Cardinals, and St. Louis eventually got the Rams. It would add a bit of non-Greek variety and also might explain why the team is slow to adoption in its new home.[/quote']

While, that is sometimes true. Hermit is directly drawing on the Cleveland Browns situation here, which unfolded pretty much exactly as described.

That brings up an interesting point. Are the franchieses all original to New Con or were they older franchise moved from elsewhere? In particular, I would wonder about the NHL team since Portland is often mentioned as a potential locatioin for franchises to move to.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would inject a note of caution. I'm at least as cheesy as anyone else, and love including references like all the Greek-stuff that's abounding in NewCon.

But not everything has to get a Greek reference, and you might find yourself taking so many references for background info that players who'd like a Greek-themed character in such a city could get lost in the shuffle and have a much smaller selection of names to choose from without getting comparisons to X team or Y restaurant/business etc. Same goes for bad guys and the like. And if the Greek theme is overwhelming, characters without such a theme themselves could feel out of place.

Not saying don't include Greek stuff - it's cool, and a healthy dose is appropriate. But be careful of going overboard and turning it from a neat project into a parody.

Good point.One of the reasons I went with the Camel name for the elevated trains was that it didn't fit as well. I think I'll change the name of the dam as well and start focusing on some very non greek themes to enhance the feel.

I appreciate it.

While, that is sometimes true. Hermit is directly drawing on the Cleveland Browns situation here, which unfolded pretty much exactly as described.

Points to the man for catching my inspiration/rip off :)

I suppose I could change the name of the Hockey team to something non greek, but say that the team owners were savy enough to have the 'honorary greek americanizing' ceremony to offset that. The locals might find it a relief to be rooting for the New Constantinople Scooters instead of another greek motiffed type.

I suppose I could change the name of the Hockey team to something non greek' date=' but say that the team owners were savy enough to have the 'honorary greek americanizing' ceremony to offset that. The locals might find it a relief to be rooting for the New Constantinople Scooters instead of another greek motiffed type.[/quote']

Personally, I like team names that reflect the city and its history or culture. For example, the Monteal Expos came along just after the very successful Expo '67 in Montreal and the name reflects that. Of course, there is always the problem if teams with such names move and don't change their names. For example, I thought the New Orleans Jazz was a good team name but when they moved to Salt Lake City, they should have changed it. Utah Jazz? It might just be me, but Jazz is one of the last things I think of when I think of Utah. Or possibly, even worse, the Los Angeles Lakers. While the name made sense when they were in Minneapolis, it really doesn't make a lot of sense in LA (and probably only works because of the alliteration).

One would think New Constantinople would be chock full of the best greek eatting in the North West, and it is, but that's not all it is. It has many fine resturants of other types by demand, and, like any city in America, it is plagued by fast food franchises.

Resturants:

Ambros'- For Greek food at its best, come to Ambros'. One of those ultra expensive resturants that actually lives up to the hype, Ambros' hires some of the finest chiefs from around the world in its quest to keep its top spot. The finest lamb you've ever tasted awaits, so succulent that it will make you forget about the waiting list you had to be placed on just to dine here.

Awful Falafel- "Name it, and we'll put it in a Falafel" is their unofficial slogan. This small resturant is considered the godsend of the college set, and 90% of its biz comes from delivery and/or take out. They wisely keep track of what has worked for customers, and what hasn't while proudly continuing the Northwest's tradition of 'fusion foods'. If you want a mix of mustard, brown rice, and squid, or pepperoni, BBQ sauce, and gouda cheese, or even more unusual options, they'll knock themselves out trying to provide it for you.

From the Deep- When your city connects to the Pacific, there's no excuse not to have the freshest sea food around. Capitalizing on this is "From the Deep", a fine sea food resturant that offers everything from Kalamari to swordfish (a house speciality). Less fancy (or depending on how you view it 'uptight') than many resturants of similar quality, From the Deep's customers are more likely to be wearing flip flops than ties, but that doesn't change the fact that this resturant is top tier when it comes to taste.

The International - This five star restaurant has several world-class chefs. A plethora of elegant food from European and Asian countries (as well as some good ole U.S. favorites) can be found on their menus. Waiters and waitresses dress in appropriate themed outfits to help enchant the mood. The wait staff is taught the basics of foreign languages to pronounce each menu item correctly, as well as to give its history. While very large for a restaurant, reservations sometimes have to be made up to a week in advance. Adding to the fame of The International, several chefs have been invited to compete on Japan's Iron Chef and more than one has been a winner.

Mr. Lee's Fine Chinese Dining- Serving the best in TRUE authentic chinese cuisine, the resturant is also very proud of their various celebrity guests who have their names inscribed on chop sticks and set on display as a mark of honor. Every type of celebrity from past presidents, sports figures, and rock stars has dined here and they enjoyed it throughly for second only to their food is the friendly service provided by a staff of waiters for each table. Every lady customer is graced with a jasmine bloom so she may leave taking a little bit of the orient with her.

Pioneers If you can get the courage to walk into the darkened building with the various "hawgs" outside of it, you may get a chance to eat at one of the best kept secrets in New Constantinople. Pioneers is more of some modern day street level festhall than a bar, and it serves REAL slow roasted Barbeque done right. The ribs are so perfectly done the meat almost falls off the bone. Contrary to stereotyping, the place, while a biker haven, is NOT the source for constant brawls. Friendly guys who do Toys For Tots, and more criminal 1 percenters can both be found here, but it if one isn't part of the subculture, it is almost impossible to tell who's who and which is which.

Fast Food Chains:

Royal Burger, Darren's Pizza, Spee-E chicken, and other resturants found in the CU can be found here. There are also a few chains specific to the city, or at least the region.

Demeters- Trying to do for Greek food what Taco Bell did for Mexican, Demeters has, unfortunately, had similar results though it hasn't lost all authentic Greek flavor... yet. They are all over the city (and a bit beyond) and the quality from location to location varies greatly. The one in Argo is probably best, but lovers of true greek food wouldn't be caught dead eatting at the one in Crosstown, and Marble Beach's is blah even on a good day.

Locations: Everyfreaking where

Supreme Serpent For good chinese take out, one could try one of the four Supreme Serpent locations in the city. Catering to what folks EXPECT of a Chinese resturant, and then trying to do it well, Supreme Serpent is actually proof that fast food can be pretty good. Rumors that VIPER agents often order from the S.S. are no doubt an attempt at humor.

Main Locations: Kong Town, City Center, Marble Beach and Crescent.

Pharoah's Ice Cream- Some places have baskin robbins, or dairy queens, New Constantinople has Pharoah's Ice Cream with "over 40 dynasticly fantastic flavors". Kids under 10 can get a free cardboard Pharoah caps so they can feel like the morning and the evening stars they are :)

Location: City Center, Marble Beach, Riverside, and Downshore

Any chance you'll take all the thoughts and ideas, even restaurants and the like, and paste them into the first post in the thread?

What? Oh... No reason.

Maybe at the end of all this I'll do that, but for now I'm keeping different sections on different posts. I am continually altering and updating them, for example, points of interest has a dam that I changed the name on, and a memorial building for a lost tribe added in now.

With the Northwest being the home to Fusion cuisine' date=' I'm wondering what the local spin on it might be. Perhaps some restaurants specialize in that sort of thing. Spicy Thai Gyros, Sweet & Sour Chicken with Feta, Mango Ice Cream over Baklava...I dunno. Could be interesting though. :D[/quote']

Thank you for inspring Awful Falafel

Here's a restaurant idea:

The International - This five star restaurant has several world-class chefs. A plethora of elegant food from European and Asian countries (as well as some good ole U.S. favorites) can be found on their menus. Waiters and waitresses dress in appropriate themed outfits to help enchant the mood. The wait staff is taught the basics of foreign languages to pronounce each menu item correctly, as well as to give its history. While very large for a restaurant, reservations sometimes have to be made up to a week in advance. Adding to the fame of The International, several chefs have been invited to compete on Japan's Iron Chef and more than one has been a winner.

Option: The owner of The International is a member of the Communist Party and has ties to the Russian Mafia.

Here's a restaurant idea:

Option: The owner of The International is a member of the Communist Party and has ties to the Russian Mafia.

I put it in, but I think we are now full on top of the line resturants ;)

Here's an idea for areas that technically aren't part of the city, but would definitely have an effect on it. As always, please let me know what you think. Perhaps there are real life equivilents that would make these redundant.

Beyond New Contantinople

Ashby Dam and Reservoir The Ravenfeather river now lays tame thanks to this impressive feat of engineering beyond the city limits. Designed by the ingenious Clarence Ashby who assisted on the TVA project, it also provides a good percentage of the city's electrical power.

East Glennport- When a horrid fire consumed the western half of Glennport in the 1970s, New Constantinople's City Government was quick to help rebuild, and tried to annex the city into itself to increase its tax base. Unable to stop this take over (particularly when many of its own townsfolk didn't care WHERE they lived as long as they had a home) the city of Glennport only managed to save itself from total annexation by giving up on its western half (Which would become North Way), and redubbing the rest "East Glennport". East Glennport seems to be rather dull compared to its neighbor, and it is certainly the 'poor sister' of the two. However, it too has had its moments, and to this day has its secrets. An even earlier wider spread fire in the 1920s caused massive rebuilding on top of the wreckage. Due to this, the city is rumored to have "The Warrens" beneath it (and , thus, beneath North Way as well).

Burkle Navy Base- Named after NewConn Native Terrance B. Burkle, a hero of WW2's pacific fleet, this base is about 25 miles south of New Contantinople. Of late, it has become a testing area for new maritime technologies, most of which, of course, remain classified. It is not uncommon to see protesters outside the gates of the base carrying signs demanding "full disclosure", but for the most part the military ignores the nuisance.

Snow Pine Resort Further in state a small cluster of high hills and mountian forms area very nicely situated for skiing, snowboarding, and so forth during the winter months.

Race: 61% White (at least 1/4 of those with Greek Heritage), 18% Black, 10% Asian, Hispanic 6%, Other 5%

Religion: 40% Protestant, 31% Greek Orthodox, 18% Catholic, 5% Jewish, 6% other.

Perhaps the Asian percentage of the population, and therefrom the Other Religions, should be higher. For more than the past ten years, by far the highest percentage of immigration to West Coast port cities has been from Asian countries.

Do you have a name for the river that runs through the city? I was thinking the Cox River, as the basis for the previously- and unfortunately-named "Cox Falls."

This combination seems a little odd. One or the other, not both.

Otherwise you are saying the equivalent of: The owner of The International is Black and has ties to the KKK.

Perhaps the Asian percentage of the population, and therefrom the Other Religions, should be higher. For more than the past ten years, by far the highest percentage of immigration to West Coast port cities has been from Asian countries.

Makes sense to me. I'll adjust both.

Do you have a name for the river that runs through the city? I was thinking the Cox River, as the basis for the previously- and unfortunately-named "Cox Falls."

The Ravenfeather river is the name currently used for it, a translation from the tribal name it once had. Very likely, for a time, it was also called the Cox River, after some explorer or politician, but reverted back to the original name over time.

Transportation

One area where New Constantinople shines compared to many of its contemporaries is public transportation. The budget for streamlining the flow of the population has always been generous, and only the tourist rushes on Marble Beach (and to a lesser extent other areas) every really strain it.

Airports: East Glennport and New Constantinople begrudgingly share a common airport between them. The Reagan-Newman Interregional Airport is on the site of a former Air Force base between the Argo Neighborhood and the southern part of East Glennport. The base was closed in the early ninties and transformed into a state of the art new airport. Of course, that was a decade ago, so it is no longer so 'cutting edge'. Getting to and from the airport is actually surprisingly easy, but once one gets inside they discover the new security requirements can be a great hassle, and seem to be applied somewhat haphazardly.

Driving (and riding) : The interstate, or "New Constantinople Round" as this section of it is called, connects the backside of the main body of the city, to a multitude of exits that allow fairly smooth departure from it. The quality of layout varies a little from neighborhood to neighborhood; Crosstown, true to its name, for example, is easy to race through, but dangerous to take side streets on, where as North Way, being newer, is a near perfect grid with only private parks and estates to cause variation.

Winters are not left to chance here, and the city always makes sure to be well prepared in case of intense ice or snow. School kids all over the city often grumble as what would have been a snow day in almost any other city is just another school day for them. There have been pushes to encourage the public to carpool, and use public transport more, and standards for emission tests have traditionally been high. Unfortunately, high gas prices in the last few years have forced some debate about rescinding those in order to help the common man a bit. The debate remains heated both among locals and the city council.

The city bus system does well enough, but has taken a hit thanks to other methods of travel being so prevalent. Some joke they make more money from the advertisements on their side than they do passengers. The Taxi system, unfortunately, is in trouble. At least two big companies have been caught price gouging, and the city worries this will discourage tourism. Fines have been placed, but some see this as a mere slap on the wrist compared to the money those policies have made.

Boats: Fortunately, the Water Taxis are more honest. These small boats with mandatory colorful gold trim, can carry up to 8 people, and are often used by those wh don't want to wait for the city ferry, or have other destinations besides the usual drop off points for it.

The ferry system has an end stop at Crescent, and the route connects between there, Northway, and Argo. There are two of them, large ones called the Odysseus and the Europa. Talk of commissioning a third has been considered. The scheduling is good, and only during the tourist season does it slow down, but then, you could say that about anything in the city.

Naturally, private boats and commercial ships dot the surrounding sea as well, and to a large enough degree that strict zoning of where tourist ships may go, and where fishing boats should be is rigidly enforced if need be. This doesn't seem to discourage the sport of boating, as the locals do love the water. Some innovative business men have embraced the sea with gusto. A few are worth mentioning:

New Conn Clippers- Who cares if it looks more in place in 18th century New England waters than here? This business has only one old style sail ship (dubbed, dramatically, "The Golden Endeavor") but is hoping to get more. For a price, you can be put to work for a week or two and learn how to run a real sailing ship just like your ancestors might have. In the old days, men were seized from ports and forced into this sort of work, now, they do it for 'fun'. The modern world is a mystery.

Midas Cruises Go far enough out in the water, and suddenly gambling is legal again. Midas Cruises shamelessly exploits this to good effect. With three ships (and growing), you can either enjoy the usual cruise experience, or go below and experience "Vegas on the Sea" with gambling, risqué shows, and more.

Worldwide Whale Watch The name is very much a misnomer, because this is a local biz (though it does stay on good terms with similar businesses in California). Former Marine biologists and retired navy are on staff, and happy to take crowds out during peak graywhale and humpback season to watch the majestic creatures in action. The WWW doesn't make that much money for itself, but is firmly behind environmental charities and 'Save the Whales' foundations.

The oft forgotten Ravenfeather River is also transversed for fun and profit, though it has its limitations on how much it can support.

Trains

People get to work on camels: Constantinople Area Monorails. And since many of them are elevated, they've become known as CAMEls. The integrated rail service goes all the way to the suburbs, and advertisers often describe it as "the Occident Express." While not the most high tech rail system, it is one of the cleanest; a point locals take great pride in. Tourists who treat them like a dumpster for their litter will find the normally warm and sunny natives giving them cold looks.

Biking

Biking is very popular in some parts of the state of Oregon, and New Constantinople is no exception to this. Almost all the parks have areas for bikers, and even many of the roads in some neighborhoods have 'bike paths' to the side of them. Sixty year old men can be see pumping away with apparent ease, leaving younger fellows newer to the activity behind looking on in annoyance.

This combination seems a little odd. One or the other, not both.

Otherwise you are saying the equivalent of: The owner of The International is Black and has ties to the KKK.

Not necessarily. There's no reason a member of the communist party can't have criminal ties. It wouldn't be the first time in history there's been a corrupt politician, nor a political person with ties to crime, nor someone who uses people opposed to their own interests.

Of course it is an option.

As usual folks' date=' your commentary is encouraged, your ideas ripped off. :)[/quote']

So, tell us more about Club Spandex. :yes:

[And this is something I may have to use for my own campaign. With your permission of course. Thanks in advance. :D ]

So, tell us more about Club Spandex. :yes:

[And this is something I may have to use for my own campaign. With your permission of course. Thanks in advance. :D ]

Wherever there are powerful, strong, brave and beautiful women in uniform or costume, there will be someone there to objectify them and oggle their goodies whether they like it or not. Example: Club Spandex. This club caters to the tastes of superfetishists by having strippers dress in costumes that 'parody' (and thus become protected by Satire laws) superheroines and supervillainesses. Even if their outfit wasn't risque before, the version worn at Club Spandex certainly is. The world isn't fair, and you're not likely to ever see the real Witchcraft shaking her moneymaker, but C.S. can arrange a substitue who looks very close to the real deal. Despite frequent threats from outraged superheroines, and frequent breaking from even more ticked off supervillainesses, the Club Spandex franchise is growing nationwide. Over twenty different cities in the states have a Club Spandex, and the name, like Playboy has become synomous with quality...well, at least within its field. Ironically, because of the extra scrutiny these clubs often end up getting, they do tend to be cleaner, more legal, and up to code more often than other strip clubs.

The owner of Club Spandex in New Constantinople is Bob "Snake" Prescott. Despite the nick name, and the sleeziness, no one has ever proven that Snake is in anyway, shape, or form connected to VIPER.

Location (in NewConn): Crosstown, near Crescent

Not necessarily. There's no reason a member of the communist party can't have criminal ties. It wouldn't be the first time in history there's been a corrupt politician' date=' nor a political person with ties to crime, nor someone who uses people opposed to their own interests.[/quote']

That's true of course, but the CP doesn't seem like a particularly clever affiliation for such a person. It's more associated with stigma than opportunity. I would expect him to gravitate to the Democrats sooner rather than later. Such a change could take time to complete, though.

Of course, if he was using contacts in a local union to facilitate smuggling or something of the sort, and there was CP influence in the union, it might make sense for him to remain in the CP, at least for a while.

OK, there's a reasonable excuse for you.

That's true of course, but the CP doesn't seem like a particularly clever affiliation for such a person. It's more associated with stigma than opportunity. I would expect him to gravitate to the Democrats sooner rather than later. Such a change could take time to complete, though.

Of course, if he was using contacts in a local union to facilitate smuggling or something of the sort, and there was CP influence in the union, it might make sense for him to remain in the CP, at least for a while.

OK, there's a reasonable excuse for you.

:sigh: :rolleyes: Okay, it's also because The International was the name for the socialist/communist organizations in the 19th & 20th centuries (1st Intl, 2nd Intl, 3rd and 4th as well). With the break-up of the Soviet Union, several displaced members of the Communist Party have gone into the Russian Mafia. :straight: Really, you're thinking too much into this. Comics don't necessarily have well-thought out origins for minor villains. :idjit: