Working on New Constantinople

Hermit

Re: Working on New Constantinople

I trust my players... put a GMs ONLY spoiler warning on it or something' date=' then a couple of spaces... :) I'd love to see your ideas.[/quote']

As you’d like. :)

GM’s Only.

Unless you want to be mildly spoiled.

Still, GM’s Only, right?

Right.

DEMON has had some historical difficulties establishing itself in New Constantinople. Currently only one Demonhames is active in the city, a successful recruiting operation.

The Great Goddess Bookstore Café in Athens has become an extremely popular student hangout. Proprietor Barbara Rathman, affectionately known as Mom Rat, offers crystal and aroma therapy, tarot card readings, and excellent coffee to all comers. She also offers instruction to the numerous Wiccan and Neo-Pagan student groups operating out of Athens many universities and junior colleges, offering rooms on the bookstore’s upper floors for ceremonial functions and parties. The police of New Constantinople don’t like to admit it, but more than once detectives faced with a particularly baffling case with apparent ties to the occult have found Mom Rat’s help invaluable. Her annual Samhain Party Charity Fundraiser is considered a great time by all.

No living soul outside of Demon knows that Barbara Rathman is a skilled and powerful Morbane, a City Mage with dreams of glory. Students who show even a hint of real magical aptitude are encouraged to come to progressively more debauched ceremonies, and are shown progressively more proof of the power of magic. Candles and crystals soon give way to drug fueled dream quests and “Tantric Workings”. Students who remain interested are encouraged to go ever further, learning the power of ritual scarification, animal sacrifice, blood magic, and more. By the time Mom Rat leads them through their first human sacrifices, few of the former white witches hesitate. Those that do become subjects for the next coven’s lessons.

Mom Rat’s advanced students graduate to full membership in Demon, generally heading off to other Demonhames or into the main body of the organization. Mom Rat, though proud of the recruitment machine she has built, is herself desperate for advancement and recognition. Her rivals have painted her as “soft”, and she has been the target of several whisper campaigns concerning her “Glinda the Good” public persona. She may soon need to do something very noteworthy if she doesn’t want to spend the rest of her career harvesting the souls of naïve college lesbians and the socially awkward boys who love them.

Plot Seeds: The Great Goddess Bookstore Café works well as a place for heroes to go for help with the supernatural, perhaps steered there by contacts in the police force. Mom Rat will do her best to provide such help, all the time keeping her eyes open for anything that might be used to get her back in the evil graces of her superiors. College aged NPCs and DNPCs might join a campus coven in training at the Great Goddess, perhaps in hope of becoming more useful to the heroes. Mom Rat herself will eventually organize a massive working of one kind or another. When the players do finally realize the truth about Mom Rat, they will need to consider the risks to her students before they act.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, two things...

1) It is my hope that New Conn is for anyone here who wants a setting, not just our game in HERO central, and thus, if anything, the PCs for that will be downplayed so the spot can be taken in other campaigns by other players :)

Well, yeah, but... :o

2) As a matter of fact' date=' TWO upcoming characters who are joining in are mystical. :)[/quote']

Oh...merde.:fear:

GMs Only....

Spoilers...

Really...

The Arena: It maybe dismissed as an Urban Legend, but in New Constantinople, "The Arena" is very real, very successful, and very dangerous. It came to the city in the 80s, and, with exception of a time when it was shut down by Colossus for a two year period, it has been here since. Then, in the late nineties, with the superhuman population at a seeming all time low, it looked like it might falter for lack of super powered fighters locally. A very dark salvation was arranged when the struggling manager Derek Caesar happened upon news that super power granting drugs had been developed, and even hit the streets in some areas. If he couldn't FIND super humans, he'd make them. Soon, he was wheeling and dealing to get every sort of 'meta drug' he could for his fighters; turning street trash, three time losers, and washed-up-has-beens into super men and women, albeit ones with raging addictions. That addiction made them all the easier to control, so Derek found he could bear their suffering with great fortitude.

Currently, his three best fighters are "Duke" a now forty year old former boxing champ who is sacrificing his intellect, his freedom, and his dignity in order to pay for his daughter's cancer treatments by taking the Brute drug; "Slice" a ganger (he still runs with his gang from time to time) who's own drug activates his mutant gene granting super speed, and love of knives is put to good use, and the Giantess. Giantess is his top champion, taking no drugs for her power, seemingly high only to live for the thrill of the crowd's worship. Even when the arena isn't big enough to allow her to go to full size, her might is considerable. Some suspect she might be related somehow to Colossus, after all, she grows too, but any who question her on it just receive cold stares. Derek has noticed that sex appeal sells and hopes to add more 'empowered' women to his stable. Of course, fighters from other Arenas around the country sometimes end up here on the circuit, but his reputation for addicting his own has discouraged some of them from visiting. Caesar keeps his suppliers and sources quite secret. Speculations run rampant that he gets them from ARGENT, Teleios, or even produces it himself. Either way, no doubt he sells a little as well as buys, and this more than anything is likely to attract super heroic attention.

So where there is Caesar's show held in the city? Well, Derek is smart enough to keep it moving, but he has three locations he prefers: A huge underground chamber under a non-descript club in Crescent, a "private gym" in City Central, and, if he's feeling risky, his private estate in Bower's Gardens.

This is a good idea' date=' though unfortunately I know zip about the Red Banner. [/quote']

Also unfortunately, most of the official published info about the cult appeared in the first edition of Ultimate Martial Artist, for 4E Champions. The supervillains listed as their agents, Iron and Gold, and Sodeptan, have so far only been written up in Watchers of the Dragon. I don't know if you have access to those books. If you'd like I could PM or email you some of that information - since both those books are Steven S. Long Productions, I'd be willing to bet that that info will hold substantially true for Fifth Edition as well. ;)

Of course you've already seen my personal take on the Red Banner, but that's definitely non-canon.

Actually, I'll have to hunt, but I still have UMA 4th ed somewhere. :)

Or I could make up an agent who serves as Dr. Yin Wu's proxy in the city. Course I don't have anything on him either. :)

Edit: And , as always, let us know what you think of the stuff we have posted since you've last checked. Oddhat's DEMON, my Arena, etc.

Actually, I'll have to hunt, but I still have UMA 4th ed somewhere. :)

Or I could make up an agent who serves as Dr. Yin Wu's proxy in the city. Course I don't have anything on him either. :)

I have Watchers of the Dragon if there are any characters from there you wish to have info on (including Wu's 'agents').

Edit: And ' date=' as always, let us know what you think of the stuff we have posted since you've last checked. Oddhat's DEMON, my Arena, etc.[/quote']

Since this is starting to mix some GM only info, would you like us, the victi---players in your campaign to stop coming to the thread? :cry: (I nearly read Oddhat's post since his "GM" warning wasn't nearly as prounounced as yours.)

I have Watchers of the Dragon if there are any characters from there you wish to have info on (including Wu's 'agents').

Tempting, and I might ask for the basics (But obviously not full character sheets or anything) but for now, thank you for the kind offer but I'm good.

Since this is starting to mix some GM only info, would you like us, the victi---players in your campaign to stop coming to the thread? :cry: (I nearly read Oddhat's post since his "GM" warning wasn't nearly as prounounced as yours.)

Nah. not if you think you can be extra careful. Mere organization names aren't going to be enough.

Though, good point, anyone responding to the GM material please put a similar warning on yours if you would. Sorry about the headache.

The good news is each GM will probably adjust, ignore, or add on what's posted here for their own campaigns. I know in some cases I will ;)

Some thoughts on VIPER

As this post contains information which would normally be the purview of the GM, I should probably put a SPOILER!! warning here. :)

The local VIPER Nest in NewCon is referred to by its agents as Erebus. It's located in (and beneath) an abandoned silver mine to the northeast of Argo. The mine was previously a minor storage facility appended to the first VIPER nest in the city, based in Crescent. When that nest was smashed in the late 1980's by UNTIL and the superhero Colossus, the remnants of VIPER relocated to the mine. Since that time the mine tunnels have been greatly expanded, with hidden entrances leading from the original tunnels into the new facility.

To conceal the new construction on the site, VIPER created a phony real estate development company which purchased the mine to develop as a tourist attraction. Today the Silver Rail Mine, a combination natural science museum and amusement ride, is a fairly popular destination for travellers to NewCon, particularly with students on field trips. As a result people coming and going from the area attract no undue attention.

The tunnels and chambers of Erebus connect to the Ravenfeather River. Although since the river was dammed it's no longer deep enough for commercial traffic, it's adequate to conceal the passage of Erebus's Sea Serpent minisubs. VIPER has built connecting passages leading from the Ravenfeather into sewers and utility tunnels beneath much of New Constantinople, particularly Cross Town and the Downshores. This network allows VIPER to move goods and personnel discreetly throughout the city, and Erebus derives a great deal of its finances from traffic in stolen and smuggled goods (and people).

Having grown over the years to become a medium-sized Nest, Erebus is efficiently run and quite profitable. Its leader calls himself The Ferryman. A commander to the previous Nest Leader, the Ferryman led the rebuilding effort after that Nest was shut down. A combination of the Cunning Schemer, Greedy Grabber, and Cult Classic leader types, the Ferryman typically wears a flowing black chiton over his VIPER uniform, and decorates his personal quarters with Classical motifs and art objects. His agents wear predominantly black uniforms with names, rank and other designations in Greek letters. The Ferryman's Field Commander, Intelligence Commander and Security Commander were hand-picked by him and work closely and well together. Everyone from the Ferryman to the lowest agent refer to the three Commanders collectively, as "Cerberus" or "C" for short.

The Ferryman learned a lesson from the demise of his predecessor's Nest, and maintained a low profile while rebuilding VIPER's power base in the city. VIPER has benefitted from the sparse superhuman activity in New Constantinople since the death of Colossus; its agents are successful and well-paid, and morale is high. However, with his success the Ferryman has grown increasingly overconfident in his own brilliance, and has started engaging in more high-profile criminal schemes. It's just a matter of time until his actions draw the full attention of New Constantinople's defenders.

GM's only

GMs only

SPOILERS BELOW

ETC ETC...

The Institute for Human Advancement

Mavis Campbell smoothed her long skirt, and looked into the mirror of the lady's washroom, I do hope my hair is alright. I always feel out of place at these things. Seeing that it was, as they say, as good as it was going to get, the forty year old mother of three returned to the meeting chamber.

And what a crew we are, She observed silently as she looked over the group at the table. Hoplite and Hecate made her nervous, both human, more or less, he a cyborg with high technology weapons done in an archaic motif; she, a mystic who claimed to have been granted mystic knowledge from some 'goddess'. Mavis didn't know what to make of that, she was a Unitarian herself. They were the muscle of the group, labeled 'super villains' by the media, and their attachment to the IHA was deliberately obscured, but they were firmly behind the group. Both were obsessed with ancient ideas of perfect body, perfect mind and saw mutation as an aberrancy, something if found in a child, should lead to the infant's head being dashed against a rock. Mavis would have preferred more humane methods to end the theoretical child's life. We aren't monsters, after all.

"Mavis, if you're ready to join us?" The voice belonged to Hector Veratonki, respected business magnate, investor, and CEO of Bio-Op. One day his company might yet provide the fool proof method for removing mutations permanently, but the suppression tech provided was already impressive. It went beyond that though; Bio-Op was stretching copyright and trademark laws, trying to 'own' various artificial genetic restructuring patterns that were increasingly akin to mutations that occurred in some super humans. If and when the political climate allowed for stricter enforcement on protecting such trademarks by the companies themselves, it would give IHA one more covert method of finding the mutants and bringing them into line, all in the name of defending 'intellectual property'. Mavis found it rather silly, but no avenue to be ignored and all that.

"Of course," She smiled and took a seat near Dr. Burnhart. Perhaps Mr. Veratonki owned Bio-Op, but Burnhart was the true scientist here. His theories had caused quite the stir at the university level and in the scientific community alike. Convinced that aggressive behavior and genetic mutation, be it 'natural' or externally caused, were linked; Dr. Burnhart had been under a lot of pressure of late to provide further evidence to support his propositions. That overgrown Ape in Millennium City, Dr. Silverback, and issued a scathing critique of Dr. Burnhart's work, citing it as 'hasty and highly inconclusive'. Mavis couldn't believe people would side with an artificially enhanced monkey over their own kind. IHA's damage control was holding its own though.

"There are new 'superheroes' in town," Victoria cut through the chase, but then, the city councilwoman had a reputation for being brass tacks. It's why folks voted for her, she got things done, "And I know what you're all thinking, but unfortunately the Mayor is well aware of just how strongly the image of Colossus remains in the minds of many of the citizens of the city. Even the Stormrider debacle hasn't tarnished memory of Colossus, and thus many of the voters are naively hoping for a repeat. I'm working on getting influence on some local polling agencies, so I can skew the questions, and thus the results, so that when the Mayor and rest of the council read them, they get a different view from the facts and I can make some proposals. But until one of these 'heroes' screws up, I'm stuck."

Mavis smiled, "Well then, we'll just have to make sure they do just that… and thanks to the Neighborhood Improvement Committee, I think I can even arrange the witnesses."

The others leaned forward, they were all ears.

The Institute for Human Advancement is alive and well in New Conn, and instead of resting on their collective laurels since the 'dearth' of heroes began, they've been expanding. They now have fingers in every aspect of society here, but some tendrils of influence go deeper than others. Out of 'necessity', the IHA has worked with many other organizations in New Conn; and those other organizations might be surprised to find out that it was often the IHA that got the best ends of the deal.

Any superheroes cropping up in New Conn may find mutant hunting robots the least of their problems. The Institute (or so the public believes) is an open and legal, and often even NOBLE seeming institution. They provide benefit dinners to help pay for research into curing Birth Defects, they push for new shelters for the homeless. Of course, the public doesn't realize just how much of the money they might donate for curing 'birth defects' includes ways of detecting and preventing mutant children, or that shelters for the homeless forming up are part of a plan to discourage metarelated businesses or dwellings. Sure, sometimes some troublemakers break the law while spouting IHA ideology, but the Institute for Human Advancement points out that this is no different from environmental groups who have fringe elements 'misinterpreting' their own messages.

But, of course, the IHA does work in the shadows, and it does do illegal things, but it is very careful to cover its tracks. Serial numbers are filed off, VIPER is hired to do muscle jobs, and ARGENT makes the robots so no one can trace IHA companies as the manufacturers. Those brave soldiers who fight for IHA directly are notoriously tightlipped, or indoctrinated to believe they are actually part of an even more extreme anti-'freak' group and the IHA doesn't take it 'far enough'. These fanatics do just what the IHA wants them to do without overly tarnishing IHA's record when they get caught, or knowing enough to betray them.

There is no one leader of the local IHA, things are solved rather democratically. There is no killing the person over you to get promoted, no 'mastermind' barking orders at minions. Just people who care sometimes having to make the hard choices together. After all, they're civilized. It's just that all's fair in love and war, and the members of the IHA in New Conn realize this is both... they are in a war for true humanity, and they are doing this because they love their planet, their society, their race... and, of course, they love their children.

Won't someone please think of the children?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Hermit again.

Nasty and effective. :)

I'm not sure about using a Mystic in the IHA; maybe a subplot where some members distrust her as being not-quite-human enough, leading to a betrayal?

Also, maybe add some power armor goons with rocket launchers? They're always fun. :)

Replying to GMs Only

SPOILERS etc.

Hermit, I like the range of viewpoints represented by this IHA (council? committee? board?) Sounds like they run from sincere and resigned to necessity, to practical and cold-blooded, to hateful.

For the IHA to be this effective at keeping the "aberrations" out of NewCon, they could likely include a ranking member highly-placed in the medical hierarchy in the city, with access to natal and pediatric facilities. Easier to identify mutants as they're born, and find medically-explicable ways to eliminate them. It also provides another line of investigation for heroes to uncover the influence of the IHA, e.g. an unusually high child mortality rate at certain hospitals.

SPOILER TALK CONTINUES

Replying to GMs Only

SPOILERS etc.

Hermit, I like the range of viewpoints represented by this IHA (council? committee? board?) Sounds like they run from sincere and resigned to necessity, to practical and cold-blooded, to hateful.

For the IHA to be this effective at keeping the "aberrations" out of NewCon, they could likely include a ranking member highly-placed in the medical hierarchy in the city, with access to natal and pediatric facilities. Easier to identify mutants as they're born, and find medically-explicable ways to eliminate them. It also provides another line of investigation for heroes to uncover the influence of the IHA, e.g. an unusually high child mortality rate at certain hospitals.

Glad you liked it.

Perhaps Local Council is the best way to word it. :)

I like your suggestion, chilling though it is, about the medical official among their ranks.

GM'S SPOILERS WARNING!

The other idea was that maybe the local IHA has at least one mole in it serving a mastermind villain.

Hmm... it would probably be to the IHA's benefit to dispose of the bodies of deceased mutants quickly and quietly. They might not look too closely into the ultimate fate of the remains.

I wonder what Teleios would do with an ongoing supply of mutated genetic material? :eg:

Supershakk - alt-rock band that makes its home in New Constantinople. Haven't made it really big yet, but do go on frequent regional and occaisional national tours. In between, they frequently play gigs at local venues, especially to try out new material, sometimes under alternate stage names like The League of Extraordinary Musicians, The Rock Society of America, and The Invisible Uglymen from Pluto. They're fans themselves of many superheroes and have a long tradition of including them in their songs, dating back to the song "Colossus" on thier debut 1996 album, which compared the singer's love for his girlfriend to the giant hero. With this new wave of supers emerging in New Constantinople, it may just be a matter of time before some of them get "theme songs" of their own.

Discography:

Supershakk (1996) - 5-song mini release (limited distribution)

Supershakk (1997) - full album release, the mini+extra material (wider distribution)

Prime Numbers (1998) - includes first Top 40 (#15) hit "Song 13"

Supertour (1999) - Live album from first national tour

Maxie Faxie (2002)

Get Your Own Sharona (2004)

Supersonikk (2005)

The band:

Zach Alejandrino (fans sometimes call him "Superzakk") - frontman, singer and bass player.

Corey Fukijiwa - lead guitar, background vocals

Peggy Leibowitz - drums, background vocals

Ramon Morales - keyboards/second guitar/trumpet/flute/sax/background vocals

Next up, I was glancing through the VIPER book, and realized that its list of master and major villains would be a good rough template for the city's relations with the same.

SPOILERS.... GMs Only please

Seriously, get lost if you don't want this ruined for you. Of course, each GM will change this as suits them anyway, but still... :)

Master and Major Villains and their relation to the city

Dr. Destroyer: New Constantinople seems to have evaded the eye of Dr. Destroyer, for now, and this is "a good thing" to put it mildly. If something were to draw his attention to the place, likely he'd dispatch one of his agents until he was sure it was worthy of his time, perhaps Rakasha.

Gravitar: One would think that a French supervillainess would have little interest in an American city on the pacific coast, but one could be proven wrong. While it has its ugly neighborhoods, there is something distinctive about New Constantinople, an old world class buried under the American hustle and bustle that might just yet appeal to Gravitar. It would certainly make a fine starting point to begin her conquests should she choose to make it so.

Holocaust: Similar "logic" would also apply to Holocaust, but he would have the additional impetus of the I.H.A. being in the area to egg him into action.

Interface: With ARGENT's influence in North Way, Interface might just be given a job of dealing with any new superheroes that should start up in New Constantinople. After all, ARGENT likes the fact that super heroes are rare there, and if that starts to change, why not call ask someone who owes them a few favors to 'thin the herd'?

Isvatha V'han: There's been no indication that New Conn is particularly relevant to Istvatha's invasion plans, or at least, no more relevant than any other city.

Mechanon: Sometimes, organics just need a killing. As more technology based companies moved into New Constantinople, the city began to attract the robot's attention. One of Colossus' last battles was with Mechanon, a fight that ended in the robot's destruction. But Colossus is gone, and Mechanon has had several years and several upgrades since then. While most New Conn locals don't think of it, those that do shiver at the thought of the return of the killing machine.

Menton: Menton is aware that PSI has a 'branch' in New Constantinople, and keeps an eye on it. He is even tempted to throw a few monkey wrenches in its workings by 'making' a superhero to thwart they and other groups. All he needs is someone with powers, or the potential for psychic power that he can awaken, he's quite sure he can artificially force unknowing nobility on the subject after that. Still, the city is hardly a priority.

The Slug: If there is Elder Wyrm Technology hidden somewhere in the city, The Slug is unaware of it.

Takofanes, the Undying Lord: The Undying Lord has no immediate interest in the city, but he is not blind to the emanations of dead tribal spirits and avatars of greek gods in the area, and knows something of greater interest might yet arise in such a situation. Accordingly, he has dispatched one of his creations, an 800 point undead shadow of his own glorious evil. To any starting group of heroes, this 'slave' might seem a master villain all on its own.

Teleios: A truly formidable evil in the Champions Universe often lairs in New Constantinople, or at least, one of his clones does (Who can tell?). Teleios, "The perfect Man", has found in this city a haven for his experiments that he does not wish to go to waste. He has made his services invaluable to the Arena, VIPER, and even the IHA. He has even replaced one or more members of these organizations to act as his ever faithful spies. The scientist hopes to find a genetic sample of Colossus still intact enough to utilize in recreating the hero, and faking a 'return'. Such a being loyal to him would open avenues into the halls of power in New Conn on EVERY level. In the mean time, he continues to study the genetic mutant material the IHA has 'discarded'.

Tyrannon: Who?

The Warlord: How can any would be conqueror who admires Alexander the Great not be tempted to consider the prize that is New Constantinople? Indeed, the Warlord's major reason for restraint might be the lack of a challenge. Where's the contest of tacticians? Where is the test of his men and the War Machine? UNTIL is too evenly matched with VIPER to be able to afford a two front war with him. New Constantinople just doesn't have a challenge worthy of him at this time. Of course, heroic PCs might cause him to reevaluate.

A very interesting and logical rundown, Hermit. The reasons for various master villains being interested in New Con make good sense in character. (BTW, any particular reason why you always spell "New Conn" with two "n's"? If that's a ground rule of your setting I'll abide by it in future. :)

Takofanes' date=' the Undying Lord[/b']: The Undying Lord has no immediate interest in the city, but he is not blind to the emanations of dead tribal spirits and avatars of greek gods in the area, and knows something of greater interest might yet arise in such a situation. Accordingly, he has dispatched one of his creations, an 800 point undead shadow of his own glorious evil. To any starting group of heroes, this 'slave' might seem a master villain all on its own.

If there was ever an occasion to trot out a certain undead Professor, this would be it. :eg:

A very interesting and logical rundown, Hermit. The reasons for various master villains being interested in New Con make good sense in character. (BTW, any particular reason why you always spell "New Conn" with two "n's"? If that's a ground rule of your setting I'll abide by it in future. :)

No reason persay, just seemed to roll off the tongue, err, fingers more easily. I imagine citizens do it both ways, some arguing that there's no double N in the first few letters so 1 n is the right way to go, and others saying there are more than it stands for the second n later on. One of those weird things that probably has tourists going "huh?"

If there was ever an occasion to trot out a certain undead Professor, this would be it. :eg:

*L* So it would.

Thanks. I may just do that.

Actually, I forgot Dr. Yin Wu, he might have some interest in Kong Town, an Agent of his own, or even a domicile he visits here from time to time. I know little of the character so if anyone else wants to take a stab at his possible relation to the city, feel free

Points of Interest

Ashby Dam and Reservoir The Ravenfeather river now lays tame thanks to this impressive feat of engineering. Designed by the ingenious Clarence Ashby who assisted on the TVA project, it also provides a good percentage of the city's electrical power.

Location: Borders Old City, Riverside, Downshores, and City Central

You know, I just took my first close look at this reference. Hermit, I see why you did this based on the original map of Constantinople; but of course, that likely wasn't a dam. Placing a major hydroelectric dam in the heart of a large modern city doesn't make much sense from an urban planning perspective, particularly since you'd expect the river to flow south into the harbor, so the bulk of it passing through the city would be uncontrolled. The dam and reservoir would fit better much farther upriver, probably beyond the city limits.

For what you have drawn on the map, I'd suggest some sort of scenic showcase roadway and bridge, similar to the Champs Elysee in Paris: wide, tree lined, with gardens and stately buildings along its length, part of it bordering on Delphi Plaza. You could use the name "Emperor's Way" that I suggested earlier on the thread.

FYI: I'm going to unsubscribe since (1) it seems the posts now are GM only (not saying that's a bad thing) with the majority of fleshing out for the PCs having been handled, and (2) you've placed the PC stuff on your own Campaign Messages area.

As a side, kudos for Lord Liaden for finally putting his GM Spoilers notice up. No more reading thread notification e-mails and then going "Ya know, I bet this is GM stuff." :D

Keep up the good work guys! Hermit's not finished beating us down, yet. ;)

You know, I just took my first close look at this reference. Hermit, I see why you did this based on the original map of Constantinople; but of course, that likely wasn't a dam. Placing a major hydroelectric dam in the heart of a large modern city doesn't make much sense from an urban planning perspective, particularly since you'd expect the river to flow south into the harbor, so the bulk of it passing through the city would be uncontrolled. The dam and reservoir would fit better much farther upriver, probably beyond the city limits.

For what you have drawn on the map, I'd suggest some sort of scenic showcase roadway and bridge, similar to the Champs Elysee in Paris: wide, tree lined, with gardens and stately buildings along its length, part of it bordering on Delphi Plaza. You could use the name "Emperor's Way" that I suggested earlier on the thread.

Curse you and logic.

Done ;)

FYI: I'm going to unsubscribe since (1) it seems the posts now are GM only (not saying that's a bad thing) with the majority of fleshing out for the PCs having been handled, and (2) you've placed the PC stuff on your own Campaign Messages area.

As a side, kudos for Lord Liaden for finally putting his GM Spoilers notice up. No more reading thread notification e-mails and then going "Ya know, I bet this is GM stuff." :D

Keep up the good work guys! Hermit's not finished beating us down, yet. ;)

1) Fair enough :)

2) Some of that will be under editing soon. An entire dam just left the city proper. It's spooky :)