Working on New Constantinople

Hermit

Re: Working on New Constantinople

Perhaps...

The Maze aka the Warrens

New Constantinople is a city built upon its past...literally. As new additions are made to the city, often they are built over the ruins and cellars of old buildings. After the great fire of 1924, a large section of the city was destroyed or damaged, and rebuilding efforts just packed down the debris as best they could and went on and up.

These various man-made cellars and caverns in various places link up with the old Argo silver mines, natural caverns, and in some places even lead out to the ocean, especially in the Palisades area. Some of the connections are naturally occurring, though some were made by persons unknown in years past. Over the years they have served various purposes. Some were used as bootlegger havens during Prohibition, some were converted to Cold War bomb shelters. Some serve as illegal dump sites or squatting areas for the homeless, sometimes both at once.

Efforts to fully map out the Maze have failed, and some such as the staff of "Paranormal Archives" believe this is because the network changes configuration over time...and some passages may take one further than expected...

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few more thoughts:

I think it would be helpful to consider what kind of "expansion" was encouraged in Benneford: Commercial? Residential? Industrial? Middle class housing, or perhaps affordable housing for the less prosperous? If residential, a lot of the locals would probably work at the businesses in nearby Marble Beach.

I'm guessing that City Central would be the location of City Hall and other municipal buildings, and perhaps the principle corporate offices in the city. My suggestion would be to have the municipal buildings grouped around a central plaza designed to accomodate tourists (green space, fountains, open courts etc.), and call the whole complex "Delphi Plaza." It's up to you as to whether these buildings are modern-style architecture, or faux classical to emphasize the city's Greek heritage. If you go for modern, though, you might want to make the original City Hall be the classically styled one, to make it a tourist attraction. (That city hall would probably be located in Old City; see my suggestions below for the Old City district.)

Whether or not City Central is the city's business center (you describe North Way as the currently favored district for "corporate expansion"), this might be a good place to put some of the city's recreational facilities, such as parks, gardens, stadia for professional sports teams and the like. BTW what pro sports teams does New Con have?

I noticed that you said some of the buildings in Old City have been "recently renovated." A lot of major cities have revamped their older sections into "historic" neighborhoods to appeal to tourists: clean everything up, restore the older period buildings, add monuments and museums to specific eras or people, and allow in gift and souvenir shops and other businesses which cater to the tourist trade.

I feel like I'm in a "zone" right now - I can't stop the ideas from coming. All of these are just suggestions, of course. :o

New Constantinople is set on the shores of Bosporus Bay. The inlet that separates the rest of the city from North Way is officially named Glenn Inlet, but folks in Argo commonly call it "the Hellespont."

Two large ferries regularly traverse Glenn Inlet between North Way and Argo, the Odysseus and the Europa.

A scenic highway runs along the shore of Bosporus Bay from the Pallisades to Marble Beach, named Emperor's Way. Walking paths also line the shore at several points.

A natural breakwater off the shore of City Center and the Downshores was reinforced and extended in recent years to create an enclosed area safe from Pacific waves. Called Safe Harbor, the area is a popular family attraction. Boating is a common pastime, and the small islands dotting Safe Harbor are sites for parks and picnic grounds, and a small amusement park. (I derived this directly from the map.)

Another small island in Bosporus Bay bears an old defunct lighthouse. The island was understandably renamed Pharos Island for tourist purposes, although the lighthouse isn't remotely as grand as its namesake. Nonetheless regular boat tours run out to Pharos Island - the view from atop the lighthouse is quite good, and the island is popular with picnickers.

New Constantinople and its suburbs are served by an integrated commuter rail service, which advertisers often describe as "the Occident Express."

Perhaps...

The Maze aka the Warrens

New Constantinople is a city built upon its past...literally. As new additions are made to the city, often they are built over the ruins and cellars of old buildings. After the great fire of 1924, a large section of the city was destroyed or damaged, and rebuilding efforts just packed down the debris as best they could and went on and up.

Mmm, tempted to change things a bit and make that just the area of North Way, formerly western Glenport

A few more thoughts:

I think it would be helpful to consider what kind of "expansion" was encouraged in Benneford: Commercial? Residential? Industrial? Middle class housing, or perhaps affordable housing for the less prosperous? If residential, a lot of the locals would probably work at the businesses in nearby Marble Beach.

I was thinking mostly residential, and yeah, the idea of the locals working in Marble Beach made sense. While not an ethnic neighborhood per se, I was also thinking it might be where a lot of the minority middle class might be living. Not sure. Please, keep ideas coming.

I'm guessing that City Central would be the location of City Hall and other municipal buildings, and perhaps the principle corporate offices in the city. My suggestion would be to have the municipal buildings grouped around a central plaza designed to accomodate tourists (green space, fountains, open courts etc.), and call the whole complex "Delphi Plaza." It's up to you as to whether these buildings are modern-style architecture, or faux classical to emphasize the city's Greek heritage. If you go for modern, though, you might want to make the original City Hall be the classically styled one, to make it a tourist attraction. (That city hall would probably be located in Old City; see my suggestions below for the Old City district.)

More excellent ideas, and yes, you guessed right.

I like the plaza.

Whether or not City Central is the city's business center (you describe North Way as the currently favored district for "corporate expansion"), this might be a good place to put some of the city's recreational facilities, such as parks, gardens, stadia for professional sports teams and the like. BTW what pro sports teams does New Con have?

I'll have to think on the sports teams. Might allow a little Canadian influence and make the town crazy about hockey ;)

I noticed that you said some of the buildings in Old City have been "recently renovated." A lot of major cities have revamped their older sections into "historic" neighborhoods to appeal to tourists: clean everything up, restore the older period buildings, add monuments and museums to specific eras or people, and allow in gift and souvenir shops and other businesses which cater to the tourist trade.

Yup.

I feel like I'm in a "zone" right now - I can't stop the ideas from coming. All of these are just suggestions, of course. :o

New Constantinople is set on the shores of Bosporus Bay. The inlet that separates the rest of the city from North Way is officially named Glenn Inlet, but folks in Argo commonly call it "the Hellespont."

Two large ferries regularly traverse Glenn Inlet between North Way and Argo, the Odysseus and the Europa.

A scenic highway runs along the shore of Bosporus Bay from the Pallisades to Marble Beach, named Emperor's Way. Walking paths also line the shore at several points.

A natural breakwater off the shore of City Center and the Downshores was reinforced and extended in recent years to create an enclosed area safe from Pacific waves. Called Safe Harbor, the area is a popular family attraction. Boating is a common pastime, and the small islands dotting Safe Harbor are sites for parks and picnic grounds, and a small amusement park. (I derived this directly from the map.)

Another small island in Bosporus Bay bears an old defunct lighthouse. The island was understandably renamed Pharos Island for tourist purposes, although the lighthouse isn't remotely as grand as its namesake. Nonetheless regular boat tours run out to Pharos Island - the view from atop the lighthouse is quite good, and the island is popular with picnickers.

New Constantinople and its suburbs are served by an integrated commuter rail service, which advertisers often describe as "the Occident Express."

I need to find more ways to tip the hat to you for many of these excellent ideas. Thank you.

I hope you don't mind me continuing to drop in ;) , but I did have a thought about Grayden that I wanted to share. A few of the unused warehouses in the neighborhood could have been converted to film sound stages, originally to serve the growing martial-arts film business in neighboring Kong Town; but the facilities are beginning to attract the attention of producers based in Los Angeles to the south, for whom New Constantinople is an increasingly attractive site for location shoots.

(Oh, FWIW I personally would leave Terpsichore's in Grayden. Trendy clubs aren't built in trendy locations; they make trendy locations.) :cool:

I need to find more ways to tip the hat to you for many of these excellent ideas. Thank you.

You're very welcome, and don't worry about it. I'll consider your hat having given blanket tippage. :)

People get to work on camels. Constantinople Area Monorails. And since many of them are elevated' date=' they've become known as CAMEls.[/quote']

Brilliant, wish I'd thought of it first. Consider it used, and thank you :)

Well' date=' the town may try to ply the Greek feel for all its worth, but that's not all it is. So it makes sense the locals might 'rebel' just a little once in a while. :)[/quote']Your world, your rules ;)

I just prefer an animal or acronym name that didn't associate Greek with the Middle East.

It'd be like associating Elephants with Germany and Flamingoes with China.

That's primarily what I was pointing out.

Sheep on the other hand? Or better yet, Lamb? Hmm, LaMBS: eLevated Monorail & Bus Service?

TB

Well, Greece has been associated with the Middle East for a long, long time. Heck, Alexander and his Greek followers conquered the entire Middle East, and spread Greek culture and science throughout the region, which had a huge impact on its development.

Besides, the original Constantinople is now Istanbul, and is part of Turkey. Not to mention that it was Roman for many centuries, and capital of their Eastern Empire. A little cultural cross-pollenation in New Con wouldn't be completely out of line.

Well, part of the reason I feel no shame picking brains so directly here is because it is my hope that it will be of use to anyone, so please, consider things on this thread free to use or not use. If you want to use New Constantinople as a setting, but don't like something mentioned, ditch it, change it, or whatever you'd like.

:)

You mean, like renaming it "Hamilton Bay?" ;)

Hermit, have you given thought to the demographics of New Con? Just how big/populous a city were you looking for? How about the local economy - fishing, tourism and filmmaking alone won't support a very large burg.

Sports

New Constantinople has a growing number of professional sports franchises. The history of the NFL franchise here has been a roller coaster. Major investments were made by the city and local businesses alike to first open a team here in 1985. The New Constantinople Myrmidons were well recieved at first, but failed to truly prosper and attendence slacked after one star player was caught on tape making snide comments about the city's residents. Rather than apologize or ask said player to do the same, the management attempted to sweep it under the rug, causing a sudden plunge in attendence. To make matters worse, the team's owners engineered a move a mere six years later so the faithful few felt deserted. Law suits flew fast and thick and ultimately the courts ruled that the team could move, but the Myrmidon name would remain with the city. It wasn't till 1999 that a new team bearing that name formed up in the city. Still feeling burned, acceptance of the new Myrmidons has been slow, but in the last two seasons, attendence has gone up chiefly thanks to a talented young kicker who is a native, Lyle Denanolopis, nick named "Achillies Heel".

(Designer note: AFC or NFC is left undecided as best suits individual campaigns)

Basketball on the other hand has been consistant, a consistant flop. The New Constantinope Titans are the butt of late night jokes for their terrible seasons, and dubbed "The Whitest Team in America". Betting pools form up on how much they will lose by rather than if they will ever win. An odd ball group of fans dubbed the "Crooked Club" have actually become the chief entertainment instead, often performing live scenes in the stands, or making outrageous public statements by signs... including one scandalous offer from a female member who offered her favors to the team with a sign reading "If you score a play off spot, you score with me". She swears by the time the team can collect on that bet, she'll be so old they won't want her.

So far, it looks like she's going to be right.

The best professional team in the city period is no doubt the NHL franchise hockey team (a bid swiped right under the nose of Vibora Bay). The Arogonauts do very well each year, and threatened to steal the championship in 2003. The town was warming up to the winners, but NHL troubles of recent years may yet kill the sport here, despite the steady fans. The team is predominantly Canadian, but they were all adopted as honorary Greek-Americans in a very tongue in cheek ceremony that quite endeared the public to them.

There is no major baseball team in the city, and currently no one seems interested in seeking it out. Naturally, there are golf courses, tennis courts, and so on aplenty in the city. The true dream of the New Constantinople populace sports wise is to hold a Summer's Olympics. The city claims it is ideal for it, but it would appear the Olympic Commitee disagrees.

You mean, like renaming it "Hamilton Bay?" ;)

Exactly :) I mean, I stole the map from the REAL Constantinople (hollowed it out, flipped it, etc) so more power to anyone who does it one better :)

Hermit, have you given thought to the demographics of New Con? Just how big/populous a city were you looking for? How about the local economy - fishing, tourism and filmmaking alone won't support a very large burg.

Not sure about the population. Somewhere between Portland, OR, and San Fran? :)

Economic

Precious metal exchange seems to still be lingering on, while no more mining maybe going on in full, the exchange itself might mean it has become a successful finacing center, and perhaps mining technology itself is still produced here and sold all around the country. And one can't go wrong with Textiles :)

Not sure about the population. Somewhere between Portland' date=' OR, and San Fran? :)[/quote']

Sure. According to the latest census figures I could find (mid-1990's), Portland is about half a million for the city proper, while the greater metropolitan area numbers around 1.5 million in the most densely populated area of the state. San Francisco is over 750 thousand, but it's part of a huge urban area including Oakland and San Jose, totalling six and a half million.

So, for New Constantinople, how about 600,000, and maybe double that for the metropolitan region?

Economic

Precious metal exchange seems to still be lingering on, while no more mining maybe going on in full, the exchange itself might mean it has become a successful finacing center, and perhaps mining technology itself is still produced here and sold all around the country. And one can't go wrong with Textiles :)

Well, let's assume for a moment that New Con is on the Oregon coast. (I have ulterior motives for that, which I'll get to in a bit.) :sneaky: The southwestern part of the state is a heavy mining region, including silver. Just because the mine in the immediate vicinity of the city is defunct doesn't mean the rest of the region is tapped out.

Mines that contain undiluted silver ore are rare; most silver comes mixed in with deposits of lead, zinc and copper, all of which Oregon has in good supply. The state also produces gold, nickel and mercury. A major coastal city in the middle of a rich mining area would be the natural refining and distribution center for the region.

That part of the state is pretty mountainous, so good agricultural land is fairly scarce. OTOH Oregon is rich in timber, one of the state's main products, so lumber and pulp-and-paper mills would be a natural here. Combine fishing, mining and wood products with an excellent port (New Con is based on one of the finest natural harbors in the Mediterranean), and you have a solid economic basis for settlement.

Note that Oregon's rock formations have plenty of limestone in them, so it would be reasonable for there to be a quality marble quarry nearby, which could have led to the naming of Marble Beach. That's one of my aforementioned ulterior motives for putting New Con in Oregon.

Here's the other: Oregon's first white explorer was Captain John Gray near the end of the eighteenth century. "Grayden" could have been the original name of the settlement here, in his honor (probably fur-trading since that was Gray's motivation for coming to the coast). You could even use Grayden as the name for the Old City part of New Con, if you wanted to swap.

Dang. I should just change all my Hamilton Bay stuff to New Constantinople and run the campaign there. Too bad I can't. With the destruction of the Greater NYC area in the Brentwood Disaster the populous actually saved by Parahumans was taken to Hamilton Bay.

I really like what you're all doing here and can only encourage you to keep it up.

I think the sports teams are nicely thought out, especially the varying fortunes of New Con's franchises, and the personal stories around them. (I've been chuckling over "Achilles' heel" all day.) :snicker:

Thanks also for the hockey support - although I'm apparently one of the few Canadians who doesn't like hockey. :o

I would inject a note of caution. I'm at least as cheesy as anyone else, and love including references like all the Greek-stuff that's abounding in NewCon.

But not everything has to get a Greek reference, and you might find yourself taking so many references for background info that players who'd like a Greek-themed character in such a city could get lost in the shuffle and have a much smaller selection of names to choose from without getting comparisons to X team or Y restaurant/business etc. Same goes for bad guys and the like. And if the Greek theme is overwhelming, characters without such a theme themselves could feel out of place.

Not saying don't include Greek stuff - it's cool, and a healthy dose is appropriate. But be careful of going overboard and turning it from a neat project into a parody.

But not everything has to get a Greek reference' date=' and you might find yourself taking so many references for background info that players who'd like a Greek-themed character in such a city could get lost in the shuffle and have a much smaller selection of names to choose from without getting comparisons to X team or Y restaurant/business etc. Same goes for bad guys and the like. And if the Greek theme is overwhelming, characters [i']without[/i] such a theme themselves could feel out of place.

I could also see it going the other way, such that non-Greek themed superheroes or even worse *gasp* heroes drawing their inspiration from another region will feel too foreign. You don't want superhero registration to include a book of Greek Mythology (for names) and a Toga (costume).

I like a lot of the ideas thrown out here. The sports teams are neat, and I like them having the unique history. One thing I would change, is give the current NFL Franchise a different name. Names do often follow teams, looking at St. Louis, we had the Cardinals, they left for Phoenix, and remained the Cardinals, and St. Louis eventually got the Rams. It would add a bit of non-Greek variety and also might explain why the team is slow to adoption in its new home.