New Clix

Blue

Hasn't been a new clix thread in a while, and I did a few.

As always, these aren't nearly as polished as the ones made by the other guys on the forums. Still, I made 'em, so I'm sure as heck gonna show 'em to somebody.

Here's the group shots of the villains from Shades of Black.

Re: New Clix

This is Gryphon. I made him by removing the tail from a plastic D&D miniature, removing the bow from his hand, filling in the neck area with "green stuff" and carving the texture with a pin before it set.

Of the 5 minis, he's the one that looks better in person than in photo.

Lady Crow was a mini of hawk girl. Most of it is the paint job. Numerous applications of green stuff and green putty couldn't yield a decent dress-like tunic, so I had to settle for a similar paint-job. The claws are transplanted from wolverine, and puttied in a vain attempt to make them look less external and more like they're part of her hands.

I'd like to add bird-like toes, but don't have time right now.

Talisman was Storm. I gave her a haircut and the rest is paint. The transparent top was attempted by painting all the detail and then white-washing the upper body. The skirt is green stuff that I spackled on.

Looks like I took this before I made her lips more pronounced (she looks lipless here).

Black Paladin was a resin miniature I'd had around a while. I thought about cutting off the shield, but it was too solidly glued and would have involved transplanting an arm onto the mini and then trying to make similar armor, which is beyond my skills. The mace was taken off of the hawkgirl mini I used for Lady Crow.

Darkling, his horse, was a simple metal mini that came in a set wth riders; Turns out I didn't like the riders and have kept them for D&D pack horses, but decided to repaint this one appropriately.

Nice work! I've never gotten into Clix games, but I play a lot of other wargames (where you have to assemble and paint your own mini's), so it's always cool to see the converting and painting of someone else. :)

In HeroClix, are you allowed to do this sort of thing? And still play with them?

I mean, say I modded up some Superman clicky-base thingy, to use on a hex map or something for a tabletop Champions game. Could I then show up with him, alternate paint scheme and all, at HeroClix Night (or whatever) at my local game store, and he'd be "legal" to play with (if I explained it was Superman)?

Yeah, I buy my clix exclusively for Champions use. Some I leave as is, some I mod a little.

If you buy them off ebay by the case (say, a case of DC) you can get enough extras of similar types to use as agent henchmen or villain henchmen, etc. Plus, cops, thugs, etc. I love my clix. Really solved my problem of the weak selection of hero minis out there otherwise.

My next step is that I'm going to re-do my vinyl hex map so it is big enough for clix bases. Slightly larger hexagons as I prefer the hex map to the square grid they put out with the box clix sets.

Ah, that's too bad. It would've felt cool to kick the Justice League's butt with "my" super-team, or something. ;) Ah well, I still might grab a bunch of clix figures.

I just fired up my first ever tabletop Champions campaign over the weekend (how they suckered me into running it, I'm still not sure), and I'm trying to look for some ideas for the whole map/table/combat thing.

Does anyone know of any "default" wargame bases that are fairly small? I've got a hex map that I'm itching to use, but my both Warmachine and Warhammer (and/or 40) bases are too big for it. I was thinking of hacking off some Heroclix at the base and remounting them on something that'd fit the hex map a little better, but...hrm...no ideas.

Anyways, sorry if I dragged this one off topic. :) It just never occured to me to "mod up" Heroflix figures like this, until just now. You've got my wheels spinning as I try to come up with a way to take advantage of this idea for the game.

Certainly there are bases in the right scale. In the pics above, I think there's only one clix that is remounted onto such a base (the one of Talisman). I'd have remounted the one of Lady Crow, but that would have made it too top heavy.

If youre lucky you can find hexagonal ones, which fit right in with Hero System. I got a bag of the simple round bases from my local hobby store.

Someone posted a site here (somewhere) that had textured bases that were pretty cool. I'm sure one of the modding experts will chime in when they wake up :)

Oh, please. You'll do them way better! I look forward to seeing them.

I think SoB will be the first thing I run when my group finally gets off their Vampire/D&D/Exalted kick and returns to heroic goodness, so I thought I'd jump in now.

You can see in mine where I lost patience a bunch of times.

[ATTACH]21123[/ATTACH][attach][attach]21124[/attach][/attach]

I read your last Clix Thread and was inspired. I have been making my own Miniatures. Here are two I am rather proud of, Cheshire Cat and Mechassasin from CKC.

I just finished Snowfire (my homegrown), Dr. Destroyer, and Steel Commando. I hope to post them to my website by this weekend.

A nice job Blue. I particularly like the Talisman, that pose is perfect! The transparent blouse sounds like a difficult trick to pull off but it looks good in the picture.

Lady Crow is really cool to. You must have trimmed down the helm somewhat.

I think you are going to get a lot of compliments at your game for this set.

Certainly there are bases in the right scale. In the pics above, I think there's only one clix that is remounted onto such a base (the one of Talisman). I'd have remounted the one of Lady Crow, but that would have made it too top heavy.

If youre lucky you can find hexagonal ones, which fit right in with Hero System. I got a bag of the simple round bases from my local hobby store.

Someone posted a site here (somewhere) that had textured bases that were pretty cool. I'm sure one of the modding experts will chime in when they wake up :)

I wrote an article in Digital Hero #32 about bases, it might have something useful in there. You can get bases in 20mm, 30mm, 50mm, and (IIRC) 80mm round sizes. You can get 'em in various sizes square and hexagonal, too. I recommend the 30mm round ones -- they are the right scale for 1" hexes, and they are very common and very inexpensive (I bought a giant bag of GW bases for something like $4, and (even with as many figs as I mod) it's still more than half full!).

Some websites to check:

http://black-cat-bases.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

http://www.epicast.com/

http://www.groundforge.co.uk/

http://www.wolvesbane.com/catalogue.htm

I've bought bases from Wolfsbane and they have excellent customer service, and their bases are really nice. I haven't bought from the others so I dunno if they're any good or not.

HTH! :)

hey bunny bill with keyes !!!!!!

just a little correction, GW does not make 30mm bases. They make 25mm, 40mm and 60mm round bases. But one of the Warmachine bases is 30mm.

And on that note, I have to admit that I don't know if GW measures the top or the bottom of the base to determine the size.

hey bunny bill with keyes !!!!!!

just a little correction, GW does not make 30mm bases. They make 25mm, 40mm and 60mm round bases. But one of the Warmachine bases is 30mm.

And on that note, I have to admit that I don't know if GW measures the top or the bottom of the base to determine the size.

Yep, Jim is right. My mistake.

Bill.

(My excuse: I have so many bags of bases I can't remember where they all came from). :)

[ATTACH]21207[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21208[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21209[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21210[/ATTACH]

Here are some more of my homegrown clix. Like Blue said, I just want to show them to someone. I am rather proud of all them. Of these, I think Blowtorch is my favorite. Black Harlequin was made by putting Harley-Q's head on the Joker. It worked so well, I though I would put Namor's head on Cheetah to make Black Diamond. The end result made Black Diamond a little to butch. On the game map she looks just fine however.