Regrowing limbs

Already the Healing Power can regrow limbs. But what if the extent of a character's unusual ability to heal is limb regrowth? In other words, the character recovers BODY in the normal manner (BODY equal to his REC per Month); it's just that if he loses a limb (or other organ) it grows back.

I'd be inclined to just make this a naked 5-point Can Regrow Limbs Adder to the character's REC, but I asked Steve about this a while ago and he said it's a no-go. So how would y'all do it?

Re: Regrowing limbs

Given that Extra Limbs: Any Number costs 5 points, I can't for the life of me see why you wouldn't use that. In fact, I've often wondered why the need for the Adder for Regeneration.

Extra Limbs with Extra Time: 1 Month costs something like 1 point, right?

Given that Extra Limbs: Any Number costs 5 points, I can't for the life of me see why you wouldn't use that. In fact, I've often wondered why the need for the Adder for Regeneration.

I like that idea, I would put a "Only to replace 'lost' limbs" on it, or "Only two at once" or such.

That's a decent build for just the limbs, but I've always assumed that Regrowing also includes other body parts. For example, if an injury costs a character an eye or a kidney, it grows back with the Can Heal Limbs Adder.

I'd go with:

6 Salamanderism: Healing 1 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Day (-2 3/4), Only to regrow body parts (-1), Self Only (-1/2)

This is kind of what I'm leaning toward (though I'd expand it a bit to match the character's REC/Month).

My first thought was to say screw what Steve Long says and just buy the Adder as it's own Power (or Talent).

My next was, okay, if I were to build this using the Healing Power, how much would it cost? Not surprisingly, I came up with something similar to Dr. Device:

Limb Regrowth: Healing BODY 1d6 (Can Heal Limbs), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Week (-3), Self Only (-1/2), Limbs Only (-1/2). Real Cost: 6

This would match the REC of a character with a REC of 4. Logically, it would cost more if the character had a larger REC. They way I see it, this is fine though. Use a build like this as the basis for a Talent, give it a fixed cost for all characters and be done with it.

Already the Healing Power can regrow limbs. But what if the extent of a character's unusual ability to heal is limb regrowth? In other words, the character recovers BODY in the normal manner (BODY equal to his REC per Month); it's just that if he loses a limb (or other organ) it grows back.

I'd be inclined to just make this a naked 5-point Can Regrow Limbs Adder to the character's REC, but I asked Steve about this a while ago and he said it's a no-go. So how would y'all do it?

I would point out that unless you add "Only One Arm" to his character sheet as a disadvantage, his arm can be replaced or repaired by any justification that fits into the campaign. Maybe it'll grow back. Maybe it can be reattached. Maybe it's just crippled and not actually severed. Maybe you'll seize on this opportunity to get the bionic limb you always wanted. Maybe you'll have to go to a sorcerer and have him use his magic to regrow your limb. With all those options why would you want to waste 5 points on a talent that doesn't actually do anything?

That being said, why not just get really slow regeneration? It'll be cheaper than 5 points anyway.

Yergh... wait a second. All of this noise just to regrow a limb? You can do it with healing, but it requires a Handwave. Depending on how long you want this to take you can simply build it as a Transform.

6 Regrow Limbs: Major Transform 1d6, Continuous (+1), Trigger (when a Body part is lost, not activated by user, +1/4), Only to Regrow Lost Parts (-1), No Concious Control (-2), Self Only (-1/2), Extra Time (1 day per roll, -1)

I think this'll do what I want. It regrows limbs, it's a Transform (you with no limbs to you with limbs) it'll repair any lost item/object limb thingy, it (should) take an extra day between rolls and it would only cost... some pittance of REC, and isn't REC dependent, either.

So I'm simply attacking from a different angle. You can even call it a 'healing' power, it just happens to be built as a Transform.

I say ignore Steve and just buy the naked adder.

If you have 100 BODY/turn regeneration, regrowing body parts is a 5 point adder.

If you have REC BODY/month regeneration (like a normal person), regrowing body parts should cost more than 5 points? :stupid:

While this seems logical, ignoring Steve for a character for eventual publication isn't really a nice thing to do. ;) (Even if it is for DH, or a licensed book....)

This is kind of like a scene in Dragonball where Goku hurts Picollo's arm so he rips it off and grows a new one. (If I was Goku I would have surrendered on the spot).
Or the regeneration scene in the "Swamp Thing" movie? Well, not exactly. It grows at a normal cellular rate. The fun thing is that it grows back at all.

While this seems logical' date=' ignoring Steve for a character for eventual publication isn't really a nice thing to do. ;) (Even if it is for DH, or a licensed book....)[/quote']

Oh! Why didn't you say so? Just use the build I provided above, or one similar, and you've got it covered. It's an absolutely legal build and costs about the same as just buying the Can Heal Limbs adder.

While this seems logical' date=' ignoring Steve for a character for eventual publication isn't really a nice thing to do. ;) (Even if it is for DH, or a licensed book....)[/quote']

It seems that there are already plenty of published characters who ignore the rules or FAQ.

Either of our builds work, actually. Using Transform (you with no limb into you with limb) is the most book-approved mechanic, I think.

Nah nah.

Technically it isn't because it violates Transforms rule about duplicating the effects of an existing Power. In this case, that Power is Healing.

Technically it isn't because it violates Transforms rule about duplicating the effects of an existing Power. In this case' date=' that Power is Healing.[/quote']

Isn't there also sumthin' about not being able to Transform yourself as well?

Which occasionally annoys me, but just like the required reversal conditions it's something I'm willing to mostly ignore if it doesn't make sense.

Case in point... an permanent blinding attack (say an Acid Spray).

Can't shoot yourself with it can ya?

And while reversal conditons "Get new frickin' eyes" seem to be the only really universal condition you could apply to reverse the transform, how common this is will be RADICALLY diffferent depending on genre.

Technically it isn't because it violates Transforms rule about duplicating the effects of an existing Power. In this case' date=' that Power is Healing.[/quote']

Yep. I still don't see what the problem is with really Slow regeneration. 1 point a month won't make that much difference to how much you heal.