Best way to model a booming voice?

This is what I put together. Seems a little expensive given the limited use, plus a little kludgy, but it's the only way I could figure out to give everyone *else* a bonus to hear *you*.

Booming Voice:

Hearing Group Images 1" radius, +/-4 to PER Rolls, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (25 Active Points); Set Effect (Only to make himself easier to hear) (-1), No Range (-1/2), Limited Effect Normal Hearing (-1/4)

Set effect is supposed to be if you can only make one specific image, like only the image of a tiger, or only the sound of bells. I figure, only the sound of exactly what's coming out of your mouth is limited enough.

That's 9 real points.

Anyone have a better build?

-Nate

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Best way to model a booming voice?

Hearing Group Flash could also simulate a booming voice...

Depends on the end effect you want to have.

Only if you want them to stop hearing (anything, including you) after the first word or two. People seem to suggest Flash as a solution to any effect that has to do with the senses, instead of just those effects that deny targets their senses completely. Come on! :P

Only if you want them to stop hearing (anything' date=' including [i']you[/i]) after the first word or two. People seem to suggest Flash as a solution to any effect that has to do with the senses, instead of just those effects that deny targets their senses completely. Come on! :P

Like I said .. depends on what you want the Booming Voice to do.....

I didn't say Flash was a GOOD solution - just A soltion....

:eg:

EDM: To diemension where your voice is BOOMING.

:hush:

I just want to give everyone else a bonus to hear me speak. The special effect is that my voice is so loud, it is easier to hear than normal. It's for a weather control character who wants to be able to have a loud, booming voice that can be heard over the howling winds he creates.

-Nate

I just want to give everyone else a bonus to hear me speak. The special effect is that my voice is so loud, it is easier to hear than normal. It's for a weather control character who wants to be able to have a loud, booming voice that can be heard over the howling winds he creates.

-Nate

Hmm... some play on Ventriloquism, Area Effect?

-Nate

Couple of questions... do your powers of "Create winds" have a limitation of howling that makes them truly a "game effect?" Probably not, in such a case it is SFX... so a booming voice to overcome that is ALSO and SFX... done... no costing or build needed.

I tend to work this way. Only worry about putting points and a build into something that has significant mechanical effect on the game world.

In the case above... if the "howling" of the winds is truly a game effect you use to cause noise that is beneficial (like it is much easier to not be heard moving if the wind is already kicking up and blowing fiercely)... then ok... it is also logical to say, "Well, they can't hear you move, but you can't hear each other talk!" In that case... you can buy a SEPARATE change environment to counter the FIRST change environment.

Personally... I find that klunky and unnecessary. It is kind of like the fact that flight above 120 MPH, humans can't breathe at those speeds, IIRC... but book rules don't require a flyer to take Life Support, because that kind of "realism" isn't part of the base game.

So yes, "realistically" winds are loud... but you shouldn't have to pay for a "booming voice" to overcome the SFX of your power. (Again, if the power is truly a "hearing darkness" field like build... with the SFX "howling winds" then ok... that is an attack power kind of thing, so you need a counter to it. If not... don't worry about it.)

RDU Neil's got it I think, essentially.

Make the booming voice part of the SFX of whatever he's doing that would seem to drown out his voice. It's a SFX, and it's free. Especially if he can only be heard over his howling winds, and not a traffic jam or a concert.

I also agree with ghost-angel. Flash Hearing Group is a perfectly valid build for this, even if you just want to be loud enough to be heard and not actually deafen anyone. It's SFX at work again. The SFX of the Flash is a booming voice, and according the the SFX rules, it means you can logically use your booming voice to talk loud (just like a guy with an EB with "fire" SFX can warm up a room without actually causing damage). In the case of the Flash, the booming voice can also be used to momentarily deafen someone (a logical effect, but one best modled through Flash rather than Images or Change Enviornment).

Guest The JeRQ

Booming Voice:

Hearing Group Images 1" radius, +/-4 to PER Rolls, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (25 Active Points); Set Effect (Only to make himself easier to hear) (-1), No Range (-1/2), Limited Effect Normal Hearing (-1/4)

-Nate

Nope that one works better than my idea of change enviroment

First, what this thread title reminded me of:

A group once went into a room and were confronted with a man who was floating two feet off the floor. His eyes were glowing and he went "Leave this place!" in a booming voice. The characters went "Eek!" and fled. The guy inside thought "Huh, pretty cool."

Those were his only powers, you see.

Another possible spin on it...

Add a "howling winds" hearing perception penalty to your Weather Change Environment, if it's supposed to actually have a mechanical effect.

Then drop Personal Immunity on it.

I was thinking of that, but it only affects the character using this power. AOE with Selective Targeting (set effect: everyone) could do it, but I think it'd be more efficient to give a Darkness effect on voices where the wind was audible, letting Personal Immunity return the ability to speak audibly to the character. I don't know if that's a legitimate build on Darkness, though.

I was thinking of that, but it only affects the character using this power. AOE with Selective Targeting (set effect: everyone) could do it, but I think it'd be more efficient to give a Darkness effect on voices where the wind was audible, letting Personal Immunity return the ability to speak audibly to the character. I don't know if that's a legitimate build on Darkness, though.

USPD has a couple builds that will help you.

I would either go the change environment rout (as mentioned by Kiethcurtis) or I would by Stealth Penalty Skill Levels

"Booming Voice and Flashy Effects": Stealth -5

Game mechanicly it would give people a bonus to see what your doingwith you powers. And Since it is a skill you can choose not to use it.

I would either go the change environment rout (as mentioned by Kiethcurtis) or I would by Stealth Penalty Skill Levels

"Booming Voice and Flashy Effects": Stealth -5

Game mechanicly it would give people a bonus to see what your doingwith you powers. And Since it is a skill you can choose not to use it.

Is that legal? What a great build if so....

Rep in the next 24hrs.

Is that legal? What a great build if so....

Rep in the next 24hrs.

There is no rule saying you cannot attack yourself ith a power. So of course it is legal.

I had a character who used a simular build for "Flashy Effects" when he was flying and generaly showing off. The idea was his fire powers normaly did not make alot of noise, but he could kick them up a bit to get the roaring and generating a little smoke.

(I asked in the FaQ so we will know 100% within a day.)

There is no rule saying you cannot attack yourself ith a power. So of course it is legal.

I had a character who used a simular build for "Flashy Effects" when he was flying and generaly showing off. The idea was his fire powers normaly did not make alot of noise, but he could kick them up a bit to get the roaring and generating a little smoke.

(I asked in the FaQ so we will know 100% within a day.)

Well technically though, I think this affects the character only when he's using the stealth skill... no?

Can you buy skill levels usable as attack, AoE, for Perception?

Flash 1d6 Hearing, AoE: Radius (+1), No Range (-1/2), Only to make normal speech inaudible (-1/2) (3 real points), plus Transmit vs Normal Hearing, AoE: Radius (+1), No Range (3 real points).

Total Cost: 6 Points