Neutron bolts

Guest Schwarzwald

Guest Schwarzwald

I had a super character once in an old game system that's been gone for a lone time.

Anyway, he had a power called 'Neutron bolts' that let him fire neon green 'neutron bolts' off his hands that did massive kinetic impact as particle weapons, but had a special effect add on.

Living things susceptible to radiation poisoning had to make a special Constitution roll vs. the amount of damage taken. If they failed the Con roll, they took extra damage points due to radiation poisoning. The rariation effect only worked on living creatures, not objects or such. (Think of it as as a 'neutron bomb" type weapon.)

Ok, I'm past the point of asking CAN hero do this ;) and am up to asking what's the best way to model it?

Re: Neutron bolts

Living things susceptible to radiation poisoning had to make a special Constitution roll vs. the amount of damage taken. If they failed the Con roll' date=' they took extra damage points due to radiation poisoning. The rariation effect only worked on living creatures, not objects or such.[/quote']

Sounds like a Linked NND (unusual defense: not alive, immunity to radiation, etcetera) Killing Attack which allows them to make a CON roll to resist part of the damage. Might be cheaper to Link an extra attack "only if they fail CON roll", but that also looks more complicated.

I'd go with Robyn's recommendation. Build the kinetic damage part (EB or RKA as you think appropriate), then Link a NND attack Power to it. (Linked is a Limitation on a Power that means it can only be used with another Power, not by itself.) The Defense can be Not Being Alive, Immunity to Radiation, and a successful Constitution Roll.

You could use the degree to which the CON Roll is failed to determine how much damage the target takes, e.g. for every 1 that the roll is failed by, the target takes 10 Active Points worth of damage.

Note that if you want the NND to do Body damage as well, that's an extra +1 Advantage.

I had a super character once in an old game system that's been gone for a lone time.

Anyway, he had a power called 'Neutron bolts' that let him fire neon green 'neutron bolts' off his hands that did massive kinetic impact as particle weapons, but had a special effect add on.

Living things susceptible to radiation poisoning had to make a special Constitution roll vs. the amount of damage taken. If they failed the Con roll, they took extra damage points due to radiation poisoning. The rariation effect only worked on living creatures, not objects or such. (Think of it as as a 'neutron bomb" type weapon.)

Ok, I'm past the point of asking CAN hero do this ;) and am up to asking what's the best way to model it?

Though I too like Robyn's suggestion, I would most likely make the secondary damage something else that might model radiation sickness a little better, like a multiple Stat drain or maybe a transform [being to being with radiation sickness - of course then you'll have to create the 'in game effects' of radiation sickness].

'More damage' [i.e. NND RKA] linked to 'damage' [i.e. RKA] always seems boring to me, and in this case I don't think it models reality very well either.

Though I too like Robyn's suggestion' date=' I would most likely make the secondary damage something else that might model radiation sickness a little better, like a multiple Stat drain or maybe a transform [being to being with radiation sickness - of course then you'll have to create the 'in game effects' of radiation sickness'].

'More damage' [i.e. NND RKA] linked to 'damage' [i.e. RKA] always seems boring to me, and in this case I don't think it models reality very well either.

Yeah, but we're not trying to model reality in this case. ;)

Making a CON roll seems a legitimate defense for a No Normal Defense Attack, and "Not VS unliving or nonorganic targets" is probably a limitation, I'd say only about - 1/4.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary fears classical musicians

I would go the NND Route, but think outside the box a bit: CON Roll Required.

Unless you add the Does Body Advantage it only does STUN, and non-living things don't take STUN so that issue resolves itself. If you do place the Does Body Advantage on the power add a Limitation: Not Vs Non-Living Objects (-1/2ish).

Link the whole thing to the actual Neutron Bolt.

Actually' date=' LL, that is one of the things specifically mentioned in the NND listing as something that's generally inappropriate as a defense...a [u']lack[/u] of something ("not being a dwarf", etc.).

Absolutely true; but from the published examples I've concluded that this stricture is really meant to apply to an exclusive defense against a NND. I've seen a number of writeups where "not being/having" something is part of the condition for the NND failing, but other conditions/abilities which can be added to a character sheet are also listed. My conclusion is that as long as there's a reasonably common game element that a character can buy which negates the NND, other elements fitting the SFX are allowable.

That was why I specifically suggested additional defenses to the NND I described above. Granted, I could have made that point more clearly, so your objection is reasonable and appropriate. :)

I would go the NND Route, but think outside the box a bit: CON Roll Required.

Unless you add the Does Body Advantage it only does STUN, and non-living things don't take STUN so that issue resolves itself. If you do place the Does Body Advantage on the power add a Limitation: Not Vs Non-Living Objects (-1/2ish).

Link the whole thing to the actual Neutron Bolt.

I completely missed the obvious - inanimate objects don't have STUN. Thank you for pointing that out.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary remarks "Pointing out the obvious to Lucius is usually MY job, but I missed that one too!"

I see two general methods of doing this with an NND build.

1) NND versus Life Support: Immune to Radiation plus RSR: CON Roll (target makes CON Roll, success mean he takes no damage).

or

2) NND versus Target Makes Successful CON Roll plus No Versus Targets With LS: Immune to Radiation.

My personal preference here would be the first one. If the extra damage also does BODY to the target, it would need Does BODY. It is also likely Linked to the primary attack.

sounds like an AVLD that does body to me. Especially nasty in that the body damage might take a lot longer to manifest than the fairly unimpressive stun. Maybe also an uncontrolled continuous add-on.

Lots of the workers who entered the chernobyl plant weren't unconscious, but died later of radiation sickness.

I don't see any reason to add the extra complication of NND. I'd do it as Whamme Whamme suggested: extra dice with a limitation. It's essentially a partially limited power. I don't know how powerful (how many dice) you want, but something like this seems the most straightforward:

50 10d6 EB

12 +5d6 not if target makes a CON Roll, Not vs lon-living targets, Not vs. targets with LS: Radiation (-1/2 [or maybe -3/4])

Total cost: 62 points (75 Active)

I don't see any reason to add the extra complication of NND.

Because someone whose defenses might have completely stopped the first part of the attack cold may still succomb to the radiation NND.

Lucius Alexander

See, says the palindromedary, sometimes he does get it.

I would go the NND Route' date=' but think outside the box a bit: CON Roll Required.[/quote']

I think the point was to base it on the target's Con, not the attacker's (that's essentially what the Saving Throw Limitation I developed was; a RSR that the target--rather than the attacker--makes to determine the success or failure of the attack).

Yeah, but we're not trying to model reality in this case. ;)

Making a CON roll seems a legitimate defense for a No Normal Defense Attack, and "Not VS unliving or nonorganic targets" is probably a limitation, I'd say only about - 1/4.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary fears classical musicians

Modelling reality was secondary to the build type being boring.

I really like the idea of the 'saving throw' roll, but would use another power besides just 'more damage' - spice it up a little, ya know....

Try to see it from two perspectives at once, I ask the palindromedary...

I think the point was to base it on the target's Con' date=' not the attacker's (that's essentially what the [i']Saving Throw[/i] Limitation I developed was; a RSR that the target--rather than the attacker--makes to determine the success or failure of the attack).

That's what I'd intended: DEF is Target Succeeds At A CON Roll. I don't see anything that would make that an illegal build.

I would build the initial "Kinetic" blast as an Energy blast, possibly with double knockback.

The radiation effect would be an NND RKA (the defense being unliving) does body based on a Trigger that automatically resets, the trigger being if the target fails a Con roll.

I have a philisophical problem with a power granting the target immunity if he makes a CON roll being more expensive than the same power without this opportunity to avoid damage by making a CON roll.