A phaser in hero

Guest Schwarzwald

Guest Schwarzwald

Ok, we all know about the trusty phaser, and I was wondering if any hero/star hero product had anything like it.

I imagine that some settings would not be too hard to do, especially in hero as the stun setting, duh!, would simply do massive stun only damage.

The heat setting would be a little harder, as it heating up rocks to stay warm when it gets cold. Also it could burn thru walls in an emergency to get at circuity behand them.

Kill would obviosuly do tremendous RKA damage.

Now, that tricky dematerialize setting that not only kills but makes a large object totally vaporize.......

I was wondering if anyone had done a phaser for hero, including the various ranges and charges for each setting (The demat setting had a MASSIVE power drain and SHORT range, which is why is wasn't used too often, BTW.) and if so could I see them.

Oh, don't forget that some phasers had a setting that allowed for wide angle fire, presumably at the expense of range and sucking down more power.

Re: A phaser in hero

Way, way back when... I was part of a Star Trek Hero game. This was during the time of the original series crew because none of the others had been made yet. I still have a hard copy of how our phasers worked. I will use as my example the Phaser II-B (the pistol phaser from the first or second Star Trek movie). I entered it into HD3 and here it is.

[b] - [/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
    [b][i]Phaser's Accuracy[/i][/b]: +1 OCV with Phaser II-B (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) - END=
53     [b][i]Phaser II-B[/i][/b]: Multipower, 120-point reserve,  (120 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) - END=
5u     1)  [b][i]Disintegrate[/i][/b]: RKA 6d6 (10 Points Resistant Piercing) (120 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) - END=12
4u     2)  [b][i]Disrupt[/i][/b]: (Total: 100 Active Cost, 38 Real Cost) RKA 2 1/2d6, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4) (50 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Knockback (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 20) [b]plus[/b] EB 5d6, Explosion (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (50 Active Points); OAF (-1), Conditional Power Only If Target Hit Is Inorganic & Takes BODY Damage From RKA (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 18) - END=5
3u     3)  [b][i]Stun[/i][/b]: EB 12d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (75 Active Points); OAF (-1), Limited Power Does No BODY (-1/4), Limited Power Only Affects Common Nervous Systems (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) - END=3
3u     4)  [b][i]Wide Angle Stun[/i][/b]: EB 10d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Area Of Effect (13" Cone; +1) (112 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2), Limited Power Does No BODY (-1/4), Limited Power Only Affects Common Nervous Systems (-1/4), Limited Power Limited to 5" Cone (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) - END=5
4u     5)  [b][i]Heat[/i][/b]: EB 12d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (105 Active Points); OAF (-1), Reduced By Range (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) - END=4
    [b][i]Phaser II-B Power Cell[/i][/b]: Endurance Reserve  (120 END, 4 REC) Reserve:  (16 Active Points); OAF (-1); REC:  (4 Active Points); Limited Recovery (Only In Recharge Rack; -2), OAF (-1) - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 81[/b]

I need to figure out a better template to post this sort of thing.

EDIT: Wow, I really dropped the ball. It has been too long since I last talked about Star Trek Hero and I completely forgot about Eodin's excellent site.

When you look at the active point cost of a phaser, compared to your run-of-the-mill blaster, you get a real appreciation for how wildly over-powered Gene Roddenberry made those things.

It's even worse for something like Dr. Who's sonic screwdriver. You have to make the blasted thing a virtual power pool.

So Hero's power design system is not just for RPGs, it can be use for analyzing SF TV shows as well!

Yeah, phasers are pretty god-awful if you want to kill things. And going by the show darn near any normal person hit by the Stun setting was going to be KOed. I remember the salt monster episode; Kirk has his phaser set on minimum possible Stun, shoots the renegade scientist and still puts him right down.

Even with the 6d6 RKA with 10 points of Piercing you could still fail to double the body of a human on a below average roll. We used a house rule with the disintegrate setting which stated that an organic target reduced to zero BODY by that setting was vaporized. Of course that's not much of a strech from some of the options in the HERO System rules that state a minor NPC can be considered dead upon reaching zero BODY.

I don't remember off-hand how we did the "phaser on overload" trick, but I remember it was a pretty mean explosion.

Guest Schwarzwald

Well, let's not dump on Gene Roddenberry, OK? The dematerialze setting was mostly used to avoid concerns about 'violence' on tv, and it was not regarded as 'really killing anyone' to animatem them disappearing in a pretty red glow, you understand.

Likewise the transporter was only made due to budget considerations, as it was much cheaper than landing the shuttle every episode.

The original trek was done on a small budget at a time when SFX were in an early and expensive state, let's remember that, OK?

It might be interesating to to redo trek without teleporters and maybe without phasers having the demat power, but that might not happen for a long time, if ever.

Guest Schwarzwald

Steve has a "phaser inspired" weapon called a "Multi-Purpose Energy Weapon" in Star Hero, page 154.

I have write-ups for phasers and other weapons in my Trek Hero books at http://www.starherofandom.com/h_trekhero/index.php

Seenar also has write-ups for phasers in his "Prime Directive Hero" I'm sure.

A rep point goes to you for your choice in avatar.

Would your writeup of trek hero be of any use to someone who ONLY has the hero 5e rulebook? Does it require any other hero products?

Would your writeup of trek hero be of any use to someone who ONLY has the hero 5e rulebook? Does it require any other hero products?

For the most part, you would not absolutely have to have any other books, although any package deals (like asteroid miner, rebel, senator, etc.) that appeared in one of the official hero books (Star Hero, Terran Empire, etc.) point you to the appropriate official sourcebook and page.

So parts of Star Hero, Terran Empire, Spacer's Toolkit would all make GMing easier, but you could get by without them.

Phasers set to dematerialize are less of a problem in fiction than they are in a game. I have found the Star Trek setting to be virtually unplayable without at least twice the effort in writing a scenario to deliberately cripple the technology. In which case, why have it at all?

Keith "Well an ion storm is interfering with transporters and communicators, and the monster has some silicate structure that uh... refracts phaser beams. Yeah, that's it. Totally refracts 'em." Curtis

Institute a 'Starfleet Favor' pool for the PCs. If they run out of favor, Starfleet reassigns them from exploration command to something boring.

Example :

+3 Favor : Complete a mission.

-1 Favor : Used violence on 1 foe

-2 Favor : Used violence on 2 foes

-3 Favor : Used violence on 3-4 foes

-4 Favor : Used violence on 5-8 foes

Etc

Double penalty if any foe was killed or maimed.

Half penalty if foes initiated violence.

Half penalty if foes were Federation's technological equals (romulans, klingons, etc)

No penalty if foes were not helpless, and were actively at war with the Federation.

So the PCs still have all their whiz-bang tech available, but if they use it too much, they end up losing despite winning all the fights.

The thing about dematerialization is that it's apparently "All or nothing."

I'm not sure it shouldn't be a Transform, actually, but if it's done as a Killing Attack, it needs a limitation that it either eliminates the target, or fails to effect it.

And yes, it would be one powerful, high dice attack.

Lucius Alexander

Don't point that thing at the palindromedary....

The thing about dematerialization is that it's apparently "All or nothing."

I'm not sure it shouldn't be a Transform, actually, but if it's done as a Killing Attack, it needs a limitation that it either eliminates the target, or fails to effect it.

Extra-dimensional Movement (to the nearest cornfield), Usable as an Attack.

If an object has too much body (a mountain, for instance) the phaser should dematerialize an appropriate portion of it. Gene Roddenberry stated in TNG writers bible, that a phaser rifle is "powerful enought to kick Los Angeles into the ocean". He also went on to say that we were unlikely ever to see a phaser rifle.

Keith "I know I wouldn't like to" Curtis

Ok' date=' we all know about the trusty phaser, and I was wondering if any hero/star hero product had anything like it.[/quote']Well, there isn't a *phaser*, but there *is* an (ahem) "Multi-Purpose Engergy Weapon" on page 154 of Star Hero.

This monster doesn't have Real Weapon or STR Minimum, and clocks in at a massive 480 Real points! :jawdrop:

-SCUBA "Helpful" Hero

P.S. - Setting #15 is "Heat Rocks"

Guest Schwarzwald

Well, there isn't a *phaser*, but there *is* an (ahem) "Multi-Purpose Engergy Weapon" on page 154 of Star Hero.

This monster doesn't have Real Weapon or STR Minimum, and clocks in at a massive 480 Real points! :jawdrop:

-SCUBA "Helpful" Hero

P.S. - Setting #15 is "Heat Rocks"

480 points?!?!

Holy xxxxing sacred mother of god, I'm barely into the 5e rulebook and I know that's more than most characters cost!

Guest Schwarzwald

Phasers are more powerful than most characters. Imagine how awesome your character could be if you were plaing in a Trek campaign that required you to expend points for equipment, and you elected not to carry one...

Keith "I'm playing Q" Curtis

Until someone shot you with a phaser.....

Realistically speaking (if you'll pardon the use of that phrase!), the weapon write-up in Star Hero is designed to define the weapon within the rules so as to allow people to use one if their game has "phasers" - not be something that character are expected to pay for with character points. It's designed for a game where phasers, tricorders and communicators are simply issued equipment that everyone has. If everyone has one, or some variation on one (disruptors, polaron beams, etc.) then it's effective cost is null, just like a character owning a .38 revolver in a game based on modern television shows and action movies.

Well, there isn't a *phaser*, but there *is* an (ahem) "Multi-Purpose Engergy Weapon" on page 154 of Star Hero.

Which is what prompted my "Gene Roddenberry made phasers grossly over-powered" comment.;)

Realistically speaking (if you'll pardon the use of that phrase!)' date=' the weapon write-up in Star Hero is designed to define the weapon within the rules so as to allow people to use one if their game has "phasers" - not be something that character are expected to pay for with character points. It's designed for a game where phasers, tricorders and communicators are simply issued equipment that everyone has. If everyone has one, or some variation on one (disruptors, polaron beams, etc.) then it's effective cost is null, just like a character owning a .38 revolver in a game based on modern television shows and action movies.[/quote']

It was a joke.

Keith ";)" Curtis

Until someone shot you with a phaser.....

Like the guy with the phaser would ever hit the +480 point character!

For just ~160 points :

Desolidification (Hand to Hand attacks effect the character), 0 END, Persistent, Invisible Power Effects, then "Affects solid world" on the character's STR... :)

Actually, this seems to be a common power for 'name' characters in Trek...

I'm seriously considering making my next campaign a Trek game, although a bit further ahead in the future with some caveats. Considering my penchant for the dark and brooding side of RP, it would include the threat of Federation collapse, the involvement of Species 8457, and possible assaults from the Romulans, Klingons and weapons sales by the Ferengi.

PCs would be part of an older, refitted Galaxy Class, but more importantly, that Galaxy class would be able to deploy a full Corvette, a refitted Defiant. That ship, in turn, would be commanded by the PCs, and probably carry snub-fighters as well (because I like snub fighters). Having gone over much of the canon, there's no barking way I would allow Phasers to exist as they do in canon; almost no war would ever be fought. Ever. You'd have to be an absolute moron to engage an officer carrying a Type II. Yipes.

Not if you shoot first, or come at him in sufficiently large numbers.

A Phaser is, after all, an individual sidearm. Compare it to the 'Photon Mortar' from the Gorn episode of TOS. One 'shell', the sky flashes blue over the horizon, and no more Gorn infantry. One wonders why the Gorns used such piddly little artillery against Kirk & Spock, though. (piddly enough that they ran through the barrage of it to retrieve/use the photon mortar)

Guest Schwarzwald

Like the guy with the phaser would ever hit the +480 point character!

For just ~160 points :

Desolidification (Hand to Hand attacks effect the character), 0 END, Persistent, Invisible Power Effects, then "Affects solid world" on the character's STR... :)

Actually, this seems to be a common power for 'name' characters in Trek...

I suppose the vampire cloud in "Obsession' would be counted as having desolidification given it;s ability to throw itself out of sync with time to avoif being hurt by phasers, photon torpedoes and to pass thru shields, but would have to phase in to feed, thus making it vulnerable to an huge antimatter charge, which is what photon torpedoes are, incidentially.

Guest Schwarzwald

Not if you shoot first, or come at him in sufficiently large numbers.

A Phaser is, after all, an individual sidearm. Compare it to the 'Photon Mortar' from the Gorn episode of TOS. One 'shell', the sky flashes blue over the horizon, and no more Gorn infantry. One wonders why the Gorns used such piddly little artillery against Kirk & Spock, though. (piddly enough that they ran through the barrage of it to retrieve/use the photon mortar)

In one episode, a renegade trek captain reportedly killed hundreds of attacking primitives and drove off attacks against a village with just a hand phaser.

Since spock found 'remains' of hundreds of yangs, we assume the captain wasn't using the demat setting all the time, tho he offed one of kirks people with it.