What I learned playing a blaster!

Adventus

Re: What I learned playing a blaster!

Use this advice and get yourself some ranged Martial Arts. Extra DCs couldn't hurt either - sure they don't add to your range' date=' but they don't cost END either.[/b']
A straight 8d6 EB has 40 active points, which is 200" of range. Unless you follow this advice,
No Range Modifier is a very nice advantage.
are you really going to hit anything, even a hex, at that range. Even if you can, are you going to find yourself needing to? If you think you will, for a +¼ advantage, you can increase your active points and then multiply the new maximum range by 5.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A straight 8d6 EB has 40 active points' date=' which is 200" of range. Unless you follow this advice, are you really going to hit anything, even a hex, at that range. Even if you can, are you going to find yourself needing to? If you think you will, for a +¼ advantage, you can increase your active points and then multiply the new maximum range by 5.[/quote']

Of course you could just buy it as a 4D6 EB for 20pts, giving you [only] 100" Range, then apply your Ranged MA and DCs! I mean who really uses their EBs at that kind of range anyhow?

For the other 20 pts you can get Quick Shot and 4 Ranged DCs... giving you a total of 10D6 and a +1 OCV and costing only 2 END.... umm...

Wow, Ranged Martial Arts are really really really good. And cheap. Buy them NOW.

Of course you could just buy it as a 4D6 EB for 20pts' date=' giving you [only'] 100" Range, then apply your Ranged MA and DCs! I mean who really uses their EBs at that kind of range anyhow?

For the other 20 pts you can get Quick Shot and 4 Ranged DCs... giving you a total of 10D6 and a +1 OCV and costing only 2 END.... umm...

Wow, Ranged Martial Arts are really really really good. And cheap. Buy them NOW.

Just remember that if you do this, your powers are more easily drained/suppressed.:weep:

Always remember that there is a price to be paid for something that comes cheap.

• 4 weeks later...

Of course you could just buy it as a 4D6 EB for 20pts' date=' giving you [only'] 100" Range, then apply your Ranged MA and DCs! I mean who really uses their EBs at that kind of range anyhow?

B]

Blasters with binoculars! :)

Your blasts may be strong, but don't forget other abilities. Sight Group Invisibilty and Invisible SFX can win a war, if you're careful.

Failing that, link a Flash to your Blast. Or even just a few Stealth-related skills can do it for you. And...

Okay, your RKA is powerful. Got the END for more than two shots?

A good REC is handy, too.

Just some thoughts...sorry if I've repeated someone. I didn't see either in my skim of the thread so far.

No matter how much of a support character you see yourself as, make sure you have enough Stun and Defenses to take the occsional hit.

Our EP is going to get an unfortunate nickname - like "Sleepy" or "Dozy" - if he doesn't stop getting blatted at the start of fights...

Nothing says "Target Me NOW!!" like a dude who bursts into flames and then soars up to the frontlines.

When fighting in a shopping mall, should you miss your opponent, please ask your GM for an odds/evens roll to determine whether your missed shot scorched any mannequins. If you destroy mannequins, your teammates will never let you live it down.

Alas, poor Crucible. We learned so much from thee.

MPAs are you friend! Just make sure you have powers that allow the use of them!

You don't have to link your Flash to your EB. Having both means you have the versatility to fire 'em both at the same time.

However, that means you can't put both of them into the same Framework.

Nothing says "Target Me NOW!!" like a dude who bursts into flames and then soars up to the frontlines.

When fighting in a shopping mall, should you miss your opponent, please ask your GM for an odds/evens roll to determine whether your missed shot scorched any mannequins. If you destroy mannequins, your teammates will never let you live it down.

Alas, poor Crucible. We learned so much from thee.

Hey I represent that remark !:) Well "St Barbara" doesn't so much "burst into flames" as fires (multicoloured) blasts of energy, but it's a similar concept. Seriously it can come down to concept vs game mechanics a little bit here and I (generally) went with concept. Over the years of playing "St B" has developed a few other abilities that give her more versatility (a "tractor/pressor" beam) , force wall type powers and her "St Barbara's Law" which is" missile/energy deflection useable on others at range". Another thing that I learnt early is "don't take 'reduced by range' as a disadvantage on your energy blast when your character doesn't have much in the way of defences. It was painful watching 48kg "St B" being hurled across a room because she had to get too close to her opponent in order to do him any damage !

Variable Special Effect is more than worth the reduced dice of damage.

Always nice to be ready when you see the three different guys coming at you - one crackling with electricity, one on fire, and the other covered in ice - and can take each one of 'em on in turn with his vulnerability.