Area Effect - Only One Hex

Yansuf

Re: Area Effect - Only One Hex

Sometimes, it's preferable to have the explosion (ie if there are lots of clustered opponents). Other times, it's preferable to have the 1 hex area (ie when there are a lot of allies around that opponent). They come out about equally valuable overall, IMO.

I'm firmly siding with the +1/2 crowd. I'll explain why.

1. As said by CC, there are times you want to smoke the zone. Other times, you just want to tag a controlled hex or group of hexes (7 hex FP for +3/4? Yes, have some!)

2. With One Hex comes (Accurate). It's how you build darn near anything that you want to be precisely targeted against a single individual. For example, I built a 'throat smash' manuever that acted as Silence (which is Darkness) on a single individual. Since the power is already 1 Hex, I made it Accurate (-0) because it's only meant to work on one person. You don't throat-smash a group.

It has it's place, definately. And the reason that One Hex (Doubled) is +3/4 is because it can more advantageous to do your full damage to a tight group, rather than lose damage in an Explosion.

Plus the damage from an explosion is a pain in the rear to calculate. ;)

Yes it is nice to just have a flat damage amount.

Just be glad you are not playing old GURPS and haveing to use the inverse square law. Even new GURPS the resolution is some rediculous formula that players hate.

Plus the damage from an explosion is a pain in the rear to calculate. ;)

Doesn't that mean to encourage easier calculation we should make Explosion more expensive, or Area or Effect: One Hex less expensive? ;):D

Actually I think things are probably fine as-is, except that maybe Area of Effect: One Hex Accurate should possibly be just as expensive as Area of Effect: One Hex for the same reasons the latter should be just as expensive as Explosion (for example, Accurate AoE can be used to hit an opponent who has your friend in a Grab, but without it being Accurate you are going to hit both).

Absolutely. Explosion sure does cover more area than AoE: Hex, but AoE: Hex is precision. When you want to hit the hex by the doorway, but not blow up the building that doorway is in, AoE: Hex is a massive asset. If you just want to blow up the building, Explosion works. It balances out.

A rules analogy would be equating it to STUN Only -0. Sure, you're not doing any BODY damage and can't hope to blow down the door, break the Entangle or destroy the bad guy's gun, but you can fire into a crowd with it, not accidentially kill the hostage and take the bad guy alive and unharmed, and you never have to worry about property damage.

Actually I think things are probably fine as-is' date=' except that maybe [i']Area of Effect: One Hex Accurate[/i] should possibly be just as expensive as Area of Effect: One Hex for the same reasons the latter should be just as expensive as Explosion (for example, Accurate AoE can be used to hit an opponent who has your friend in a Grab, but without it being Accurate you are going to hit both).

Erm... Accurate is a -0 Adder to AoE:Hex... they are just as expensive.