What I Learned Being a Star Hero GM

TheRavenIs

Re: What I Learned Being a Star Hero GM

Oo... disagree.

Make the science fit the drama.

If you want space aliens with super powers, give 'em super powers if its dramatically appropriate. Doesn't matter if you're going Space Opera or Hard Science or with Landmates, all that matters in a Star Hero campaign - as with any campaign - is that it fits what you're doing, and everyone enjoys it.

If they're not having fun, now, yes, you've done something critically wrong. ;)

Make the science fit the players

Another option I've come across - I had two players that bored the rest of the party to tears with their hard-sf geekdom in what was essentially a rubber science setting.

I really should have slapped them down far earlier to let everyone else get on with it.

"It's impossible to fire a ball of super-heated plasma more than a distance of 1.3m and even then it would dissipate too much to do any damage to the target. Everybody knows that. Hah-*snort*-Hah."

best defence of this is the bumblebee an insect that is theoretically impossible to fly yet it does. Another defence vs hard science types is that what they know based on today is subject to change, all they're showing is their ignorance and primitive 20th century ideas.:)

best defence of this is the bumblebee an insect that is theoretically impossible to fly yet it does.

This is no longer the case. At one time it was considered "impossible" because it was assumed that the bee's wings are rigid structures. Once stop-motion photography made it clear that the wings flex and change shape in flight, scientists were able to understand how they generate enough lift to enable a bumblebee to fly. There was never anything wrong with the theory of aerodynamics - they just had the facts wrong!

Which, now I think of it, just supports your point below....

Another defence vs hard science types is that what they know based on today is subject to change' date=' all they're showing is their ignorance and primitive 20th century ideas.:)[/quote']

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is a beast ahead of its time.

No matter what setting you play in, no matter how detailed or rich the history, your PCs will compare everything to something from their favorite sci-fi TV or movie franchise.

Any humanshaped telepathic alien will be a Vulcan.

Any multisetting beam weapon will be a phaser.

Any energy sword will be a lightsaber.

Any being that isn't 'naturally' psionic who uses psionics will be said to be using The Force.

As a corollary, some players will be irritated when that turns out NOT to be the case, especially if they've arranged their last actions around these expectations.

Corollary #2 to CrosshairCollie's previous :

No matter what setting you are running, not only will they expect your universe to conform to their favorite sci-fi TV or movie franchise, someone will insist on running a character based on their favorite sci-fi TV or movie franchise.

And become irritated when you dont rearrange your universe to suit that.

Corollary #3

On the otherhand, if some of the players find the setting unique and interesting - they will pester you to play it as often as possible. Even if you have to end the campaign because other players have moved to different cities...

Here is what I learned / am learning...

Some players want to solve every problem with a hack or a high-tech device instead of their brains and clever role-playing.

I'm lucky as my players really kick butt. This is the first space opera campaign I have a run and it is very challenging. One of my players started doing this so badly that one of the players chastised him for it. Gotta love it when other players help keep things in perspective. :)