Things I've Learned playing a monstrous hero

AdamLeisemann

Like the other "Things I Learned" threads.

When playing against type, come up with a credible story behind it.

Just try to imagine a gnoll bard in a D&D game.

I had to explain he was raised in an elven community as part of a sociological experiment to determine nature against nurture, and he was a case for nurture.

I never said a "good" story. Just a credible one. And elves being good (and being "ahead of the times" was a trait of good in the Book of Exalted Deeds). they could have attempted such an experiement.

One fellow player thought the idea was good and funny.

But enough pontification from me. Let's hear what you guys (and ladies) have to say.

Re: Things I've Learned playing a monstrous hero

I took a hobbit barbarian once. Background was that he was captured as an infant and the chief's daughter took pity on him and raised him as one of the lads. As such he physically had pretty much maxed out strength for a hobbit [15 at the time] due to the stressors of keeping up with full sized humans.

Fun character actually. I enjoy such anti sterotypes as much as playing sterotypes.

Fun character actually. I enjoy such anti sterotypes as much as playing sterotypes.

Like, oh, Dwarven Wizards.

"Why would I use an axe to kill one orc at a time when I can just blast the @*$( out of a batallion of 'em?"

(For that matter, why do short, stubby creatures that live underground and spend a lot of time in cramped quarters fight with weapons that are used to cut wood, and have a wide swinging radius? Dwarves should fight with spears and short thrusting swords.)

Come up with a solid reason to join the rest of the party.

I'm not sure why I created Dinosaur for Angelus Academy (This Mutant Life--UberWorld,) but the rationale was that he wanted to learn more about humans and his metamorphic abilities.

Speaking of short people, I did make a Halfling Monk once, master of the art of Tae Kwan Leap.

Sam Kenneson was a funny man.

No matter how nice you are to them, People Will Want You Dead and Out of Town.

A Hat of disguise is your best friend if you're not an Ogre

A Bag of Disguise is worse than nothing if you forget to poke eyeholes in it.

If you're an Ogre with voice-activated a Bag of Disguise created by your Hobgoblin Enchanter friend/master, do not pull it over your head and say, "I'm a Troll!!!" Especially not if you are dumber than most Ogres.

If the preceding situation happens anyways, and someone says, "Look! A Troll! GET IT!!!" It is not wise to turn blindly while saying "A Troll?! Where?"

When you are disguised as a Troll, do not, I repeat do not, command your Voice-Activated, Automatic, Semi-Intelligent (but still smarter than you), Vindictive (especially after the incident in the sewer with the deranged magic carpet), Throwable, Returning Sap of Bludgeoning People About The Head to, "Go get that Troll!"

If you are a Hobgoblin Enchanter, seek minions more intelligent than the afforementioned Ogre.

(For that matter' date=' why do short, stubby creatures that live underground and spend a lot of time in cramped quarters fight with weapons that are used to cut wood, and have a wide swinging radius? Dwarves should fight with spears and short thrusting swords.)[/quote']

Dwarven Legionnares are wicked scary! Two dwarves side-by-side carrying Big square shields that measure 2'x4' in a perfectly cut corridor that is 4'x4' makes a Hobgoblin Enchanter who chose evocation as his barred school very, very scared. He still has nightmares.

Speaking of which, carrying smokebombs doesn't mean you can teleport away in a dramatic puff of smoke - at least not when you don't have teleport!

If in a human-centric civilisation with little contact with other races (including orcs) then there is quite likely to be racism.

If, on the other hand, you are in a multicultural fantasy setting, racism will be a minority (or perhaps cult) viewpoint, and orcs will not be treated as evil.

Unless there is some reason (say, dominant religious belief that a particular race is evil)

Be sure to show your gentle and kind spirit before your Berserk triggers. That way, when you start going on your murderous rampage, the heroes will say something sweet like...

"No! Don't kill him, deep down inside, I know that Kaylor has good struggling deep inside him."

Inside of...

"We don't even know this *******. He struck one of our fighters, his life is now forfeit."

You get really weird looks when you tell the GM and the other players that you're going to be playing an ogre mage that's a paladin of a goddess of love and war.

Or a goblin paladin with his trusty steeder (giant spider) that happens to be an albino named "Silver". And yes, the goblin wears a mask to hide that he's a goblin. He tells everyone that he's a halfing with birth defects.

Well, the gist of that session was that we were passing through a forest in Cormyr (Forgotten Realms, home of the Purple Dragon Knights,) that was somehow inhabited by a black dragon and his progeny, accompanied by kobolds. (It's actually a great honor to be a half-dragon in kobold society; there's a template for draconics, which is often used as the leaders by stinct of blood. ) We took down a squad of kobold trappers and their monk protector (who was wielding what I called "the GM's option" at that time--a magical +1/+1 cold iron/admantium quarterstaff... :ugly: ) followed by a trio of young blacks later down the road. It was a blast, to honest.