"Why'd you yell FIRE! when you fell into the chocolate?"

Re: "Why'd you yell FIRE! when you fell into the chocolate?"

Blasphemy! I thought "Happiness Patrol" (the ep in question) was brilliant - also got top marks in my final English exam comparing it to 1984

(altho I admit the Kandyman did spend most of the episodes glued to the floor, when he wasn't killing people with fondant suprise)

I assume that this chocolate is warm, but that would still be gooey and act like quick sand. Very hot chocolate would burn your skin, and as it cooled to room temperature it world start to harden really sealing your fate. So I guess temperature is an issue.

I like Godiva Chocolate.

Hmm... Vitus would not be happy. Chocolate in fur??? Be worse if he was actually canine as opposed to hyena-based tho (is theobromine poisonous to hyenas as well as dogs, I wonder?)

Probably, nor is the problem unique to canines.

Theobromine has been found to be relatively harmless to humans, however it can be fairly lethal to animals. Animals retain theobromine in their bodies much longer than humans due which can easily lead to theobromine poising because it quickly affects the heart, nervous system and kidney's of any mammal which ingests it. It is highly likely that an animal is suffering form theobromine poisoning if they are vomiting, suffering from diarrhea, experience nausea, often urination, muscle tremors or spasms, or restlessness. The only treatment for an animal at this point would be more vomiting to purge the animal's system of any remaining theobromine. Signs of much more serious theobromine poisoning would be seizures and cardiac arrhythmias. It is wise to consult with a vet at this point.

Therefore, the only reason chocolate isn't poisonous to huamns is how quickly we metabolize it. Any non-human mammal -- not just canines -- would be well advised to avoid the stuff.

I imagine if you were able to distill theobromine in a high enough dose -- such as a pill -- then it could be used to kill a human. Resulting in a death certificate that would leave coroners chuckling to themselves for decades afterwards, despite the fact that it would be an extremely painful and messy death as poisonings go.

Therefore' date=' the only reason chocolate isn't poisonous to huamns is how quickly we metabolize it. Any non-human mammal -- not just canines -- would be well advised to avoid the stuff.[/quote']

Not just mammals, either. You're certainly supposed to keep it away from birds.

Therefore, the only reason chocolate isn't poisonous to huamns is how quickly we metabolize it. Any non-human mammal -- not just canines -- would be well advised to avoid the stuff.

I imagine if you were able to distill theobromine in a high enough dose -- such as a pill -- then it could be used to kill a human. Resulting in a death certificate that would leave coroners chuckling to themselves for decades afterwards, despite the fact that it would be an extremely painful and messy death as poisonings go.

I once read an article that listed the lethal dose of chocolate for a dog of a given weight, and also mentioned that chocolate is X times as lethal for a dog than for a human. I extrapolated from that information that an adult human of about 180 lbs would need to eat 5 lbs of chocolate to have a lethal dose.

Well, now we know what happened to the Quik Bunny.

• 2 months later...

Some of the getting-out-of-chocolate abilities would have helped this poor schmoe, who actually did fall in a vat of chocolate (or, more appropriately, ingredients for choclate) in an industrial accident thanks to a stuck trolley and a spliiery floor.

No stats really necessary -- treat it like drowning. If the chocolate is also hot, apply the rules for Diluted / Weak Chemicals as well.

Its just an environmental effect, like quicksand, or a body of water.

If you want it to have higher viscosity than water, just apply a Swimming penalty of -1" or -2".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity

And by the way, White Chocolate isnt actually Chocolate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_chocolate

And by the way, White Chocolate isnt actually Chocolate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_chocolate

From what I remember of my Desserts module in Culinary Arts, white chocolate is only not a chocolate in the US. We have some fairly strict guidelines you have to follow, and as white chocolate does not have any cocoa solids, it doesn't qualify as a real chocolate. It still has cocoa butter and sugar, and all that happy theobromine. :P:D:P

Actually, the lethal dose of chocolate for a human might be a lot higher than 5 pounds, as chocolate is significantly more toxic to dogs than people (Never give a dog chocolate). I'd think you'd be more likely to throw up before you could eat enough to do you any lasting harm!