New Player freaks the heck out of me.

Re: New Player freaks the heck out of me.

"Surbrook's Stuff" has an extensive World of Darkness conversion' date=' including [i']Mage[/i], with some specific suggestions on how to handle Avatars: http://surbrook.devermore.net/whitewolf/WODHERO.html

BTW I've been getting error messages all day while trying to access Surbrook's Stuff, http://devermore.net/index/ . Is anyone else having that problem, or is it just me? (Wouldn't be the first time.)

Nope, I've been getting them as well.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. Fuzion was a pretty good system, really... at least some of the features should have made 5th ed somewhere.

Two separate companies.

Historically, elements from other RPGs have become unofficially incorporated into the Hero System (like "quirks" from GURPS).

Maybe this'll happen down the road with the "bright spots" from Fuzion.

Personally, I was decidedly unimpressed with it, but thought it worked better as a supplement for the Cyberpunk system, rather than as the replacement for Champions.

It kinda depends on how often his Avatar would refuse to give consent. -1/4 is "power looses about a fourth of it's effectiveness." So' date=' you could say that 6 hours out of every day is about "a fourth." Or you could say that 12 hours out of everyday he's at half power. That's about "a fourth" too.[/quote']

I'd make the second a larger limitation applying to only half the power (ie partially limited powers).

It kinda depends on how often his Avatar would refuse to give consent. -1/4 is "power looses about a fourth of it's effectiveness." So, you could say that 6 hours out of every day is about "a fourth." Or you could say that 12 hours out of everyday he's at half power. That's about "a fourth" too.

I believe you're thinking about it too much. "One quarter of its effectiveness," doesn't mean that literally you can only use it one-quarter of the time, or even one-quarter of the number of times you'd like to activate it. It's also a matter of how hampering it is situationally, how much in general it keeps the character from abusing the power, and probably how ready the GM is to impose the restriction. I don't think the value of a Limitation can be come to with a fixed formula; it must in some sense be a gut feel thing, with rough comparisons to (several) other Limitations and ideally some playtesting. Does a power that costs twice the normal amount of End really lose 1/3 of its effectiveness? I don't know. We are talking about rough guidelines here, not even an empirical formula.

Yeah, but at this point they're looking like DNPCs.

Personally, I'm from the school of thought that says that followers are controlled by the PCs who spent points for them.

As a GM, I already run the rest of the multiverse...

Personaly I do a middle ground with followers, in non combat I control, during combat the PC who paid points for him normaly controls

Personaly I do a middle ground with followers' date=' in non combat I control, during combat the PC who paid points for him normaly controls[/quote']

Same here, out of combat, I control. In combat they do, unless I need them to do something to move the game foward. :eg:

JUst read a few post and glanced at the character sheet. I have to say as a rule I dont like Independent. IMO, I just wouldnt allow it in a game. (Note: Unless there is a really, really, really good reason, and I am told EXACTLY how it works)

JUst read a few post and glanced at the character sheet. I have to say as a rule I dont like Independent. IMO' date=' I just wouldnt allow it in a game. (Note: Unless there is a really, really, really good reason, and I am told EXACTLY how it works)[/quote']

I agree. The limit puts the GM in the weird position. Initially the PC will be more powerful than the rest of the group (depending on how much of his/her character relies on the Independant limit) until the day the PC loses the Independant power, at which point it makes the GM into the bad guy.

My favorite was a character who had the Independent on a burnout roll, basicaly after it burnedout he planned on not having it anymore (It was a +6d6EB attached to his 12d6 EB, only the +6d6 had either lim)

Why not do it this way buy half the power with no limitation and the other half of the power with the limitation not in sunlight.

for example

+50 total PRE = +25 PRE no disad =25 points , +25 PRE not in sunlight -1/2= 17 points total is 25+17 =42

I believe you're thinking about it too much. "One quarter of its effectiveness' date='" doesn't mean that literally you can only use it one-quarter of the time, or even one-quarter of the number of times you'd like to activate it. ...[/quote']

Yes, mostly I agree. I do think however that the Limited Power description is strongly stated to give the GM maximum flexibility. One quarter of it's effectiveness is about the most a GM should require for a -1/4 limitation. Usually it's rather less. For example, I don't think OIHID, an 1/4 limitation by convention, is directly applied to be a 25% reduction in the character's power by most GMs.

My point was basically that the GM is within his rights to declare that the Avatar falls short of that standard and not grant a 1/4 lim for it. Personally, I do feel that the player's description of the Avatar falls a little short of what a GM should require. And rather than try to force a 1/4 lim and hamper the player too much, a Hunted or Pysch Lim is a better way to go, and probably more what the player really wants anyway.

I would like to add to the thread that after examining the sheets for the Human and the Vampiric, the Avatar being in revision it seems, it does not appear that the character has what I would consider multiform for the Human/Vampiric change. The vampire build for a 250 pt character was outrageously powerful mainly as a result of the inexperienced use of the Limitations of Sunlight.

After reading the thread, it did occur that the player was willing to revisit the concept, this is a good sign.

I would like to add to the thread that after examining the sheets for the Human and the Vampiric, the Avatar being in revision it seems, it does not appear that the character has what I would consider multiform for the Human/Vampiric change. The vampire build for a 250 pt character was outrageously powerful mainly as a result of the inexperienced use of the Limitations of Sunlight.

After reading the thread, it did occur that the player was willing to revisit the concept, this is a good sign.

In retrospect, it just now occurs to me that making a Vampire's powers not work in Sunlight doesn't actually make sense. There's no real reason why they wouldn't.

Other than the inability to concentrate on them when you've burst into flames, perhaps.:eg:

Guest WhammeWhamme

In retrospect, it just now occurs to me that making a Vampire's powers not work in Sunlight doesn't actually make sense. There's no real reason why they wouldn't.

Other than the inability to concentrate on them when you've burst into flames, perhaps.:eg:

Well, the original Dracula wasn't burnt by sunlight, just robbed of his powers.

Presumably you've already figured out this is a bad character.

I looked at the build and there are several things wrong with it, big honkin ugly things that would make this guy useless in no time.

Just off the top of my head he put all his stats in a multipower? Punch him in the feace while he's holding something heavy... he's going to be moving those points out of one stat and into the next constantly? He's going to end up with his pants around his ankles.

His Avatar is Independent? Awesome! So take it from him and have him spend the campaign trying to get it back...

Obvious Inacessible Focus...Blood?!?! Sooooo I can bleed him casually with 1 turn out of combat then?

Bloodpools are best built as END reserves that fuel vampiric powers (which can ONLY be fuled by the End reserve) and the reserves REC is dependent on the drinking of blood... not this sillyness.

I'll not go on, the entire thing is built ass backwards.

Vape this clown or teach him to build a vampire.

Oh great. Now that you chimed in, I guess this thread will get closed too.

:mad:

True dat. I am Threadbane, destroyer of threads!

I'd have to say something offensive first, though, like "I respectfully disagree".

Ooops! Too late! :D