How do I freeze water?

Evil Steve

Re: How do I freeze water?

Ah... by putting it in the tray and sticking it in the freezer?

What?

It's either a Change Environment or a Transform (Moderate, most likely - flowing water to a state it's capable of, change-back is "thaw.") I would say minor if it were still, but moderate for flowing.

Depends on why you want to freeze it.

If it's not going to have a direct effect on play, change environment or any kind of cold blast will do it as an SFX. So would things like making an ice bridge (Flight with Physical Manifestation).

Transform works, as it does with almost anything.

Power Trick for someone with cold powers.

Entangle to form a barrier (SFX: Freezing water to form a small Iceberg)

Why do you want to freeze it?

Force Wall could also be used to make a bridge, perhaps, as could an entangle. GM's call. Ditto on OddHat's question: it matters a bit what you want to do with the frozen water, or rather it's effect on play.

Generically, it's a Change Environment. But if you want to be able to make a bat out of frozen water to beat up your enemies, that additonal damage on Hand to Hand attack.

Or it could just be just a plot device. Who was the Russian villain in the CRPG Freedom Force? Nuclear Winter? I think that's it. He had a CE with a really large area of effect, but it was really just a plot device, something the GM could almost hand wave as if affected play very little.

freezing liquid water is pretty easy - you can use a change environment or transform.

As long as it isn't freezing the water contained in a vehicle's coolant system or oh, say the interstitial water contained in a human body.

That can get pretty hairy, pretty quick.

One of my favorite freezing tricks is to buy +X" Swimming; Only on the Surface (-1). As the character enters the water, a foot-sized ice floe is created beneath him, and he can run across the surface of the water, since he's actually running across newly created ice with each step, leaving behind a trail of bobbing ice cubes.

The body is an RKA, 99% of the time (i.e., if you're modeling an effect that does damage, this is how we do that).

I dunno if I would go with a vanilla RKA. Hiding behind a lexan riot shield shouldn't help if you're getting the water in your organs turned into ice...

One of my favorite freezing tricks is to buy +X" Swimming; Only on the Surface (-1). As the character enters the water' date=' a foot-sized ice floe is created beneath him, and he can run across the surface of the water, since he's actually running across newly created ice with each step, leaving behind a trail of bobbing ice cubes.[/quote']

Just like Eliza! Hmmm... Super-Eliza, El-Ice-a, Ne-ice, ...

I dunno if I would go with a vanilla RKA. Hiding behind a lexan riot shield shouldn't help if you're getting the water in your organs turned into ice...

Depends on how it's delivered to the target. If it's a ray or beam that hits the target, a riot shield, and any kind of armor, would help at least some. At best, the KA might be Armor Piercing or Penetrating. If it's just a sudden drop in temp surrounding the target, it should probably be NND (and likely AE: 1 Hex).

If the character has an ice/frost Entangle, preferably one with some type of area effect, that would work. Otherwise, I would permit any cold/frost attack power to freeze flowing water at the rate of 1 BODY pip of damage freezes 1 BODY's worth of water. I didn't see a reference for Water or Ice in 5E pg. 304, so I'd have to "wing it" for the amount of BODY in one hex's worth of water; something in the range of 16-20 BODY sounds about right to me...

Franklin