Good Fantasy Movies

Nato

Ok it's more kind of horror comedy than fantasy but Evil Dead 2 and of course the sequel Army of Darkness - its cheesy, it's bruce campbell, it's lots of skeletons and other horrid things and some great one liners.

definetly NOT the dnd movie that came out a few years ago...

some of the diseny movies, snow white, cinderrella kind of qualify.

There really aren't too many good fantasy movies out there. I think this thread hit most of them.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Thag13

BBCs Nevewhere is being released very soon. Neverwhere is a modern Dark Fantasy about a magic underworld excisting under modern London. Its a six part TV series. low budget, but it has the basis of a great game

hmmm... I think BBC did an adaptation of Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast novels too.

If you like Monty Python style humor, "Monty Python's The Holy Grail" "Jabberwocky" are good rents. "Eric the Viking" is another good comedy, with Tim Robbins of all people. Love the token christian missionary. Good take on gods.

BBC did a live action "Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe" a few years back, but it moves pretty far from standard fantasy

I always thought Indiana Jones movies had an amazingly gameable atmosphere and visuals, as well as the original Star Wars trilogy, even though the settings are very divergent. Ditto with Harry Potter.

Oriental

Perhaps this is just me, but I never considered a lot of the Anime to be fantasy, but more of a martial arts genre. Sometimes that line is extremely fuzzy. For example, I never liked Xena or Hercules, the TV series, because of all the oriental martial arts.

I wouldn't classify either Iron Monkey or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon as fantasy, just because they were both more than a little heavy on the "kung fu" side of things. Both are good movies, though

Perhaps I am too idealogically focused on western culture, though.

I would like your thoughts on this.

Nightshade

Re: Oriental

Originally posted by Nightshade

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon as fantasy...I would like your thoughts on this.

i definitely consider Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon fantasy...

has sword fights and a magic sword.

has a bar fight.

conflict is settled via violence.

romantic love, love at first sight stuff going on.

set in an historical never-was (at least, as far as my limited knowledge of Asian history goes).

*shrug* i think it's certainly more akin to fantasy than some historical adventure movies, like Gladiator, The Three Musketeers, etc.

haven't seen Iron Monkey...

allen

Re: Re: Oriental

Originally posted by allen

allen

Iron Monkey is great, if you can stand subtitled movies. Very 1st Edition D&D-like monks. Brought back some good memories of my 11th level lawful good monk - LOL.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that, while the D&D movie made a breakthrough for Fantasy in the movie industry, it was not the best example of Fantasy.

For plot, special effects good for the time, and the feel of realistic and historical fantasy, Dragonslayer is tops for 1980s movies in my book. Definately far better than Dragonheart. :D

I hoping a movie about EarthSea, by Ursula Le Guin will come out. Thats another top series, in my book; at least the first four books and Tehanu.

But I'm sure sooner or later a book of Shannara will come out, by Terry Brooks. I'm not a big fan of this series, though. Too me it's too much like eating popcorn, to J.R.R. Tolkien's hot buttered corn bread. ;)

Re: Re: Oriental

Originally posted by allen

i definitely consider Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon fantasy...

has sword fights and a magic sword.

has a bar fight.

conflict is settled via violence.

romantic love, love at first sight stuff going on.

set in an historical never-was (at least, as far as my limited knowledge of Asian history goes).

*shrug* i think it's certainly more akin to fantasy than some historical adventure movies, like Gladiator, The Three Musketeers, etc.

allen

You forgot the treewalking, and running on water. LOL:D

Lots of martial arts movies and stories are definitely part of fantasy, considering some of the legends about some grand masters. Consider Wong Fei Hung, China's most popular hero (he was the kid in Iron Monkey). He actually lived, but so many movies about him, both factual and fictional, have been made about him, he has become to China what Robin Hood is to England.

Historical fantasy is also valid. I say "historical" loosely because many of the facts are changed. The Three Musketeers actually was based on real people, but the account was almost entirely fictionalized. The real Athos actually died before the real D'Artagnan had the chance to meet him. Gladiator used the emperor Comodus, who was more insane than he was portrayed. He would fight in the gladiatorial games dressed as Hercules. He was murdered by his own soldiers, not a gladiator. And Braveheart IS a fantasy, even if a real-life person was the hero. The man was real; the movie is all made up.

Crossover elements are interesting to play. My fantasy campaign (in the works) is basically a combination of Enter the Dragon and The Three Musketeers. I'll let you know how it works out.

Guest joen00b

For good political intrigue, you might want to add: The Count of Monte Cristo (not the lame one they recently made, but the older one in French dubbed to English starring Gerard Depardieu) or even better: Read the book!

This was always one of my favorite stories growing up, it shows the lengths one man goes to for revenge!

In the "B" category

Deathstalker and Deathstalker II aren't bad for completely B, low-budget movies. To the "A" list, I'll go on a mild Robin Hood kick. I'd add The Adventures of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn. Basil Rathbone (that's Sherlock Holmes to those of you in Lake Geneva) was one of the most accomplished swordsmen in Hollywood, and Flynn was no slouch either. Their swordfight alone is worth the price of admission, IMHO.

I'd also add the Robin Hood movie that was contemporary to Costner-Hood: Prince of Bad Movies, starring Patrick Bergan and Uma Thurman. It's a very 'historically accurate' for a fictional film in that the Saxon/Norman conflict is a key to the story, the Normans are using Norman style shiields as depicted on the Bayeux Tapestry, etc. I'd recommend it.

Robin and Marian with Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn was a pretty good tale of the couple years after the traditonal story.

I'd also say Sword of the Valaint, with Trevor Howard and Sean Connery. It's basically Gawain and the Green Knight. (Connery in Green). Not quite stellar, but a decent fantasy flick nonetheless.

And if I'm gonna throw down Robin Hood, I have to throw in his contemporary, Ivanhoe. I actually like the '82 TV movie with Sam Neill and James Mason. John Rhys-Davies even has a part. But the '52 version is really good too. See 'em both.

Everyone has already piled on most of my favorites, like LOTR, the Sword and the Sorcerer, Excalibur, etc, but I want to add that Conan the Barbarian is one of my favorite fantasy films. More of a low-fantasy than LOTR or Excalibur, it has a good story, fantastic music and great cinematography. It's sets a different stage than Howard's actual work, but it captures his character of Conan rather well.

Well, I'm sure as soon as I post this, I'll think of another...

Regards,

Big Rich

Originally posted by Nightshade

Dragon Slayer is really good, if only to see the dragon. Vermithrax is how I view dragons everytime.

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that the dragon wasn't a dragon, bu a wyverine?

Good movie, but that was not a dragon!

Originally posted by McCoy

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that the dragon wasn't a dragon, bu a wyverine?

Good movie, but that was not a dragon!

Ummmm, I remember some scaled reptilian creature breathing fire. I remember this creature being called a dragon. I don't remember a stinger tail.

A&E recent Ivanhoe is worth setting thru also. A bit more correctly done costume wise and with casting.

1BigRich, excellent movie list. I was trying to remember some of the 80s low budget fantasy movie and I could not remember the name of that movie. Thanks

Also when you mentioned the 52 version Ivanhoe, that reminded me that Robert Taylor also did Knight of the Round Table, a delightful retelling of the Camolot myth. Just released on DVD and worth seeing a Technicolor movie.

Joen00b, I have to major disagree with you on the recent Monte Cristo movie. I found it very well done. I have a soft spot for the late seventies version with Richard Chamberland, but hey....

To be fair to Cosner, Prince of thevies is a fair movie and its been admitted the sound guys messed up reels in the final cut of the movie....I think the dvd fixes some of those mixups...

the above is just my opinion. Please no flame wars

Who is looking forward to League of Extordinary gentlemen

\

Originally posted by tkdguy

Lots of martial arts movies and stories are definitely part of fantasy, considering some of the legends about some grand masters. Consider Wong Fei Hung, China's most popular hero (he was the kid in Iron Monkey). He actually lived, but so many movies about him, both factual and fictional, have been made about him, he has become to China what Robin Hood is to England.

Historical fantasy is also valid. I say "historical" loosely because many of the facts are changed. The Three Musketeers actually was based on real people, but the account was almost entirely fictionalized. The real Athos actually died before the real D'Artagnan had the chance to meet him. Gladiator used the emperor Comodus, who was more insane than he was portrayed. He would fight in the gladiatorial games dressed as Hercules. He was murdered by his own soldiers, not a gladiator. And Braveheart IS a fantasy, even if a real-life person was the hero. The man was real; the movie is all made up.

Crossover elements are interesting to play. My fantasy campaign (in the works) is basically a combination of Enter the Dragon and The Three Musketeers. I'll let you know how it works out.

Well, simply adding the component of magic, would change historicity of historical fantasy, I think. At least a type of magic that is completely under the magic users control, and not subject to demonic and other forces.

I think we are using the definition of fantasy too broadly, I hate to quote WOTC, but the component that makes fantasy, fantasy, is magic. Even if this magic takes the form of fantastic physically impossible feats. I don't think the old Robin Hood movies, or "Flesh and Blood," meets that criteria.

Magic definitely defines fantasy; maybe non-magical fanasy is better described as fiction. As for Robin Hood, check out BBC's "Robin of Sherwood." That definitely had magic in it. The spirit of King Arthur even makes a cameo appearance in one episode. And there is an Arabic Merry Man, which Costner's film borrowed to make Morgan Freeman's character. Except this guy fights with twin scimitars (Drizzt Do'Urden, anyone?).

Knight of the Round Table

I don't remember that one, Thag13; I'll look for it. I haven't seen the A&E Ivanhoe, either. But A&E does some pretty good stuff; as a Justice, Inc. fan, I like Poirot and Nero Wolf. I'll have too look for Ivanhoe, too. Thanks for the recommendations.

I have to diasgree with you on Prince of Thieves. I find it barely watchable. It seems like everyone else in the move is in character, KC is still acting in "Dances with Wolves." Freeman was good in this one, though, and Rickman is one of my favorites. Hey, I'm sure someone will say even Plan 9 has a redeeming quality, (though I'm not sure anyone would defend "Waterworld...")

:-})

I seem to remember a fantasy movie about Archers with magic bow, and the archer with the bow had mark over his heart. I think they called themselves 'Heartbowmen' or something. Does anyone else remember this movie, or anything about it? I've searched imdb.com for it, but without the name I can't find any info...

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Big Rich

Re: Re dragons/wyverns

The main difference between dragons and wyverns is that dragons had four legs (the heraldic dragon) and the wyvern had only two. The dragon in the movie had 4 legs; it's definitely a heraldic dragon.

Two Legs.

Two wings.

And tail ending in something resembling a scorpion's sting.

http://www.dracoslair.net/slay10.jpg

Magic definitely defines fantasy; maybe non-magical fanasy is better described as fiction. As for Robin Hood, check out BBC's "Robin of Sherwood." That definitely had magic in it.

Yes I saw that one, but I think quality was lacking.

The spirit of King Arthur even makes a cameo appearance in one episode. And there is an Arabic Merry Man, which Costner's film borrowed to make Morgan Freeman's character. Except this guy fights with twin scimitars (Drizzt Do'Urden, anyone?).

Right, Drizzt. LOL. I thought Kostner's Robin Hood was far better then many of the older versions. I'm not much of a Robin Hood fan anymore.

I forgot all about this one, and I can't believe no one else has mentioned it:

Red Sonya with Arnold.

That was actually a pretty poor movie, but the sword fights weren't too bad.

As to the idea that magic makes the fantasy, does that mean that Indiana Jones was fantasy? The first movie had some magic with the arc, but the second one had voodoo-like spells and glowing rocks.

Now that I have read all of the arguments, I would definately consider the martial arts films as at least a subgenre of fantasy. Thanks for the perspective!

Nightshade

Re: Re: Re dragons/wyverns

Originally posted by McCoy

Two Legs.

Two wings.

And tail ending in something resembling a scorpion's sting.

http://www.dracoslair.net/slay10.jpg

I suppose it would depend on your definition of legs. The dragon was modelled after a bat's anatomy with the front legs doubling as arms/wings. From what I can tell, wyverns only walk on their (rear) legs like birds and do not breath fire.

The tail was more like a rudder in form and function. Watch the movie.