Good Fantasy Movies

Nato

Having almost completed my first fantasy artwork assignment for Fantasy Hero, I find myself bitten by the Fantasy Bug. Can't get enough of it. When working, I often like to have movies playing. Now there are hundreds of thousands of fantasy novels to choose from, but I don't know of too many movies. Well, movies worth watching that is. I'm interested first in a great story, but will also settle for an OK story if the visuals are excellent - meaning great armor and weapons and period scenery. That sort of thing. Can you guys recomend some good one? Here's what I know of already...

LOTR obivously

Conans

Scorpion King

Really nice animation is cool too.

That's about it for me. Was never all THAT interested in the genre, other than enough to play the D&D basic set in junior high.

Thanks.

Nato

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Legend

The Princess Bride

Ladyhawk

Gladiator (historical fantasy)

The dozen or so different TV movie renditions of King Arthur

Robin Hood: Prince of thieves

Willow

Can't think of any other Hollywood fantasy movies right now, but if you expand to the Anime venue...

Record of the Lodoss War

Those who hunt elves

Princess Mononoke

Bastard!!

Ys

Orphen

El Hazard (kinda)

Rayearth (kinda)

Many more that aren't comming to mind right now.

Dragon Slayer is really good, if only to see the dragon. Vermithrax is how I view dragons everytime.

DragonHeart is okay, but not the best. It has a couple good scenes.

Excalibur is really excellent.

If you don't mind some camp, Krull isn't too bad, plus you can see a very young Liam Neeson in it!

Good luck!

Nightshade

Originally posted by D-Man

...The old Saturday afternoon Sinbad movies

throw in Jason and the Argonauts and you can have a Harryhausen film fest (Jason and the Argonauts also has a neat set for Hecate's temple).

Also Clash of the Titans.

The Kull movie (not to be confused with Krull) with Kevin Sorbo... don't pay to see it, but not bad if you catch it on TV and don't have anything else to do and can't even think of anything else worth doing.

Legend - With a young Tom Cruise. It isn't actually a very good movie but it has some incredible cinematography, sets and costuming. The extended/directors cut version makes slightly more sense, but not by much.

Ladyhawk - With Matthew Broderick, Rutger Hauer and Michelle Pfeiffer. Already mentioned, but an excellent movie. If it doesn't make you want to roleplay, you aren't a roleplayer.

Flesh & Blood - With Rutger Hauer. Excelent: nasty and brutish portrayal of some medieval mercenaries. Its not light fare but quite good.

And my favorite pure B grade (or maybe C grade) fantasy:

The Archer: Fugitive from the Empire - Fun story of a boy and his bow. Interesting in that the super weapon is a bow rather than a sword. And there is something entertaining about watching Thoran blow apart mountains with his bow.

Hawk the Slayer - Watch Jack Palance chew up the scenery as one of the most over the top villians of all time. Watch the autofire elf mow down armies in seconds. Watch the teleporting Hula hoops and wonder why you are watching this at all.

Originally posted by Bartman

Ladyhawk - With Matthew Broderick, Rutger Hauer and Michelle Pfeiffer. Already mentioned, but an excellent movie. If it doesn't make you want to roleplay, you aren't a roleplayer.

Interesting you should say that. Back when VCRs were invented, my local video rental guy recomended I get this one. Said that it would give me some great ideas for role-playing. I still haven't watched it but it's probablly time I should.

Originally posted by Nato

Interesting you should say that. Back when VCRs were invented, my local video rental guy recomended I get this one. Said that it would give me some great ideas for role-playing. I still haven't watched it but it's probablly time I should.

Well I won't post any spoilers then. But I do highly recommend it. A great story where you get to see the character of the characters. One of the few fantasy where the characters have real motivations. I could probably do all the characters' disadvantages easier than their stats which is a rare thing.

I have not seen a great many fantasy (and in this case historical) films but the ones that I have seen which I though were not to bad are:

Excalibur

Conan the Barbarian

Ladyhawke

LotR (both versions)

Braveheart

Rob Roy

First Knight

13th Warrior

Dragon Heart

There was also an animated movie which I believe was called "Fire and Ice" which I though was interesting just because of the Wolf Lord/Demi-God character in it.

More Fantasy Movies

It's more of a martial arts thing, but you might enjoy the Anime, Ninja Scroll. Both the story and the artwork are excellent. After I saw it the first time, I just HAD to start a martial arts campaign.

I mention it as fantasy because there is lots of monsters and magic.

Originally posted by D-Man

I can't believe no one has mentioned -- EXCALIBUR!

If you don't mind b-movies there's always --

The old Saturday afternoon Sinbad movies

Beastmaster

Barbarians

I agree D-Man. The Following list notes rating (stars):

• Western Mythology:

Excalibur *** (1982?)(Academy Award Winner for Special Effects)

Fellowship of the Ring (2001) **** (Academy Award Winner for Special Effects)

The Two Towers (2002) ****(Academy Award Winner for Special Effects)

Dragonslayer (1981) ****

Eastern Mythology:

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (Academy Award Winner) (2001) ****

Sinbad (All Titles) many *** or ****

I read these fast, so I might have missed it....

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon? Ok, the martial arts are SO interwoven in this movie, but the costumes and sets, the magic, the scrolls of wisdom, the green sword. Seems like fantasy to me.

and Dragon Inn is a great plot that could easily be taken into a fantasy realm.

But funny enough, Gregory Peck's passing, the biggest influence a movie ever had on my fantasy campaign... in fact, launched my current campaign of some 7 years.... was a western. Peck played an ex-ship capt and a pacificist in the middle of a feud between ranchers over river water rights. The scene of him going out into the desert with only a sextent was great. I can't remember the title; Big Country? Big River?

That movie inspired me to start my Blue Gryphons campaign in a young frontier country, many cattle ranchers, big country, small population. The Gryphons were cross between Texas Rangers (including a traveling Judge/cleric of Tyr) and Queen's musketeers. But the idea of taking Western themes and incorporating into fantasy was very cool. Mostly it was the horse culture, the idea of cattle drives, vast tracts of land being roamed, the small population. And a few tough men and women keeping the law.

I see Steve put Braveheart, Rob Roy, and The Thirteenth Warrior on the list; more "no magic" fantasy candidates would be:

El Cid with Charleston Heston as Spain's national hero, a man so noble both Christians and Muslims knelt in fealty before him.

and

Flesh & Blood with Rutger Hauer as a surly robber picking through the spoils (including Jennifer Jason Leigh) of the Black Death. Dark Fantasy Hero.

Originally posted by Tempuswolf

I see Steve put

El Cid with Charleston Heston as Spain's national hero, a man so noble both Christians and Muslims knelt in fealty before him.

Good one. Gots to mention the Heston as "The Warlord". Norman warriors doing the siege thing.

Most of the pure fantasy movies have already been listed. These are movies that also have had some measure of influence on my "style" of fantasy role-playing. Probably missing a few, but there you have it.

Treasure Island. The book was infinitely better IMO, but a couple of the movie renditions were not bad. Treasure Island has so many inspirations for leading characters on a puzzle-ridden quest for buried treasure that no perspective GM or player should miss it.

Moby Dick. The semi-recent version that USA produced had some very nice cgi of Moby Dick. A lot like Treasure Island, except that it has a monster hunting theme to it.

The Mummy and the Mummy Returns. I liked both movies for what they were, but the psuedo-mythology and cutscenes of ancient eqypt were very inspiring.

Young Sherlock Holmes. I'm starting to see a trend in movies that have influenced my style of play. Anyways, there were some fantastical elements in the movie that could be played up. The assassins guild was a big influence on one that I cooked up.

From Hell. More like gaslight detective fiction, but there are some supernatural elements. It's a wonder that I haven't picked up some sort of Victorian-esque role-playing setting (other than Ravenloft) before now.

Sleepy Hollow. Probably a different era and maybe too dark. Has some interesting twists.

Wow, nice list of films, but here are a few more obscure films to round out the watch list

Captian Kronos, Vampire Hunter, At one time this film was hard to find but now just released to DVD. While mostly a horror film, it could be considered a dark fantasy with vampires. Cool sword scenes and Hammer chick galore.

Seven Samari, Yojimbo, Ran, all movies by Korasawa.

Fantasic sword play, great stories and just fun to watch.

Japaneese movies at thier finest.

BBCs Nevewhere is being released very soon. Neverwhere is a modern Dark Fantasy about a magic underworld excisting under modern London. Its a six part TV series. low budget, but it has the basis of a great game

I wish there were copies around of the old 60 sword and sandle Italian movies. When I was growing up there were a staple of Saterday afternoon movies....

Speaking of which Steve Reeves Hercules is out on DVD and worth watching....its silly and dated, but some of the scenes still work.

Disneys prince and the pauper is a great one if you can find it, but it looks like most of the Vault disney is not going to be avaible for a while, although there is word of a third disney channel just for the old stuff

I liked Mists of Avalon the TNT movie of recent showing.

SCi FI is running Roar right now....its not bad.....

look for Richard Lesters Flashman movie on Turner classic or amc. Based on George Mcdonalds Flashman book series, its about a upper class bastard bedding and drinking his way across late 19 century europe. Not quite fantasy, but close enough. Great fight scenes and sight gags

The Sharpe Series. Its a Strech to Add them to a Fantasy list, but heroic action abouds in this series and is worth a look. I made a great Deadlands series of adventures of these and I am betting many GMs would get great ideas watching this series of 14!!!! movies

The Vikings. Tony Curtis and Kirk Douglas star.

Spartacus. Tony Curtis and Kirk Douglas star in this one too.

The Vagabond King, if you like musicals.

The Desert Song, another musical.

The Sea Hawk, starring Errol Flynn.

The Prisoner of Zenda, starring Stewart Granger.