Marginally Powered Sit-Com Heroes

zornwil

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Marginally Powered Sit-Com Heroes

Just so you know' date=' Boss Hog wasn't a sheriff. Sheriff Lobo was his flunky. I belive Hog was officially County Commissioner.[/quote']

You're mixing your shows here, David. Sheriff Roscoe P. Coaltrain (sp?) was the Sheriff of Hazard County. Sheriff Lobo was orginally, I believe, a character on B.J. and the Bear who was spun off into his self-titled series.

The Flying Nun has a STR of 10?? That girl's so petite she'd blow away in a stiff breeze! Ooops, there she goes.....

Max Smart has Overall Levels on an ACTIVATION roll? So if I make my roll, I get a bonus to help me make my roll??

How about Overall Levels with No Conscious Control?

I'd like to see a game with both Sergeant Carters (Sergeants Carter?) running around - preferably never meeting.....

"Whaddaya mean, you heard I do a great Hitler impersonation? I don't do impersonations. Is this some kind of joke? Pyle's got to be at the bottom of this somehow....PYLE!"

"I heard you were looking for me?"

"Gollee, nosir, I done found who I was lookin' for, who told you I was lookin' for you?"

"That nun....I guess she's just an airhead. Sorry."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that for someone who doesn't watch TV, Lucius seems to know how to think like a sitcom writer. To which Lucius responds that that's because the sitcom writers steal their best ideas from Shakespeare's comedies.

Groovy and weirdly effective write up for the Nanny; she'd fit right in as a follower or DNPC in a Supers campaign where a PC had kids. Using the rules in Ultimate Skill, it might be fun to figure out exactly what other skills PS:Nanny 17- can be used to pinch hit for.

Ellie May would work as a Pulp Heroine. :)

Fonz needs a small VPP: Thumb Based Powers. Remember, he can almost fight Mork to a draw.

Great bunch of characters.

The Flying Nun has a STR of 10?? That girl's so petite she'd blow away in a stiff breeze! Ooops' date=' there she goes.....[/quote']

She was also athletic and a surfer (in an in-show clever nod to her former character), so I erred on the side of a 10.

Max Smart has Overall Levels on an ACTIVATION roll? So if I make my roll, I get a bonus to help me make my roll??

Basically, on a 10 or less he gets enough levels to make a skill quite worthwhile instead of bumbling.

How about Overall Levels with No Conscious Control?

Good idea. I just like that there's incentive for him to try stuff and he might be competent or be lame. But this is also a good idea.

I'd like to see a game with both Sergeant Carters (Sergeants Carter?) running around - preferably never meeting.....

"Whaddaya mean, you heard I do a great Hitler impersonation? I don't do impersonations. Is this some kind of joke? Pyle's got to be at the bottom of this somehow....PYLE!"

"I heard you were looking for me?"

"Gollee, nosir, I done found who I was lookin' for, who told you I was lookin' for you?"

"That nun....I guess she's just an airhead. Sorry."

Lucius Alexander

:D That would be good, I hope to see it!

How about a crossover game where Gomer Pyle leaves the USMC and returns to Mayberry. He and Ellie May Clampett got married, so they can afford a big house.

They're such a cute couple! :)

At the con game, BJ of course offered Elly May a job at his new trucking company, starting up in California...

Groovy and weirdly effective write up for the Nanny; she'd fit right in as a follower or DNPC in a Supers campaign where a PC had kids. Using the rules in Ultimate Skill, it might be fun to figure out exactly what other skills PS:Nanny 17- can be used to pinch hit for.

Ellie May would work as a Pulp Heroine. :)

Fonz needs a small VPP: Thumb Based Powers. Remember, he can almost fight Mork to a draw.

Great bunch of characters.

Thanks, and I love the Mrs. Muir memory, that was pretty good (and even in-character - I did particularly like the drinking chef critic twist, too, though).

Write-ups linked at

http://www.realschluss.org/marginally_powered_sitcom_heroes/Fantasy_Island_Versions/index.htm , sorry, no HDZ files yet but will put up. Comments always welcome of course.

Maybe the Fonz should have Summon: Hot Chicks and a small VPP with his thumb. Didn't he nanu-nanu/thumb-duel Mork from Ork? :D

Loved your write-ups of Hogan's Heroes. Pretty much spot on as I recall them (although I haven't watched an episode in probably 20-25 years). Any reason you didn't do Colonel Hogan as well? I'm tempted to write him up and develop up an HH based campaign or one shot with your write-ups as pre-gens. I'd just need to write up the major German characters (Klinck, Schultz, the SS guy who's name I forget) and we're off to the races.

Like some of the others. Didn't watch a few of them (Beverly Hillbillies wasn't one of "my shows" for instance). Fonz is spot on. I'd make the thumb VPP an option at best since it really only comes into play in the more outlandish episodes (such as ones with Mork).

David

Loved your write-ups of Hogan's Heroes. Pretty much spot on as I recall them (although I haven't watched an episode in probably 20-25 years). Any reason you didn't do Colonel Hogan as well? I'm tempted to write him up and develop up an HH based campaign or one shot with your write-ups as pre-gens. I'd just need to write up the major German characters (Klinck, Schultz, the SS guy who's name I forget) and we're off to the races.

Like some of the others. Didn't watch a few of them (Beverly Hillbillies wasn't one of "my shows" for instance). Fonz is spot on. I'd make the thumb VPP an option at best since it really only comes into play in the more outlandish episodes (such as ones with Mork).

David

I didn't do Hogan because he's more than "Marginally Powered" in my book, he's sort of like a low rent Doc Savage, as it seems he can pull off almost anything his team can. But I love the character, don't get me wrong!

I'll think about the thumb but inclined your way. What I like is what some players have asked for is a change environment or transform based on his gestures, such as kicking a soda machine to make a soda come out and the like. This can sort of come in with the thumb.

The summon women thing would be great, maybe something like giggly non-useful women, very low-point figures.

PS - and thanks much!

I've got to admit there are a few things that keep me away from playing this game:

1) I don't trust myself to portray the character to a high-enough level to satisfy myself. Truthfully, I have the same problem with any thing that uses characters from other sources and I have gotten over it for other games, but I am still much more comfortable playing characters where there is not well-known preivous portrayal.

2) I don't like the "add or change abilities" bit. For some reason, that sort of thing makes me feel that the GM doesn't feel he has a grip on the characters he is using.

3) I'm particular fond of the character pairs -- it's hard enough to try to portray one well-known character let alone two.

4) It falls into a category of games that I think have been overdone in recent years, which is the grouping of fictional characters from different backgrounds. I blame Alan Moore.

But the game does sound like fun and I may very well play it sometime if I can get over my own issues with it.

2) I don't like the "add or change abilities" bit. For some reason' date=' that sort of thing makes me feel that the GM doesn't feel he has a grip on the characters he is using. [/quote']

Just to address that, I do it for a couple reasons. Part of it is sort of what you allude to, because there can be such a level of fanaticism for a character that I suspect someone will have some point I haven't considered, but more so too that there are many different ways to approach some of these characters, such as Fonzi's uber-mechanical skills, and personally I appreciate alternate tinkers. And that's overlapping to the second part, which is I basically am in favor of any reasonable tweaks anyway in games, I just don't point it out with non-established characters since I figure people see those as open to discussion, anyway.

However, in practice, I have said no to some suggestions/requests probably as much as I've said yes. Across the couple games at cons I've gotten, I believe 4 tweak requests and it was split 50-50. Or maybe it's been 5 and 60-40 yes, not positive. Somewhere in that ballpark.

Just to address that, I do it for a couple reasons. Part of it is sort of what you allude to, because there can be such a level of fanaticism for a character that I suspect someone will have some point I haven't considered, but more so too that there are many different ways to approach some of these characters, such as Fonzi's uber-mechanical skills, and personally I appreciate alternate tinkers. And that's overlapping to the second part, which is I basically am in favor of any reasonable tweaks anyway in games, I just don't point it out with non-established characters since I figure people see those as open to discussion, anyway.

However, in practice, I have said no to some suggestions/requests probably as much as I've said yes. Across the couple games at cons I've gotten, I believe 4 tweak requests and it was split 50-50. Or maybe it's been 5 and 60-40 yes, not positive. Somewhere in that ballpark.

Oh. I understand why you do it. I guess I would just rather see the GM commit himself and possibly be wrong rather than take the wimpy "well, there are several ways to do it, you decide" approach.