xialin showdown

csyphrett

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: xialin showdown

It should be simple to model; Wuxia base powers for the heroes, gadgeteer powers for the villian, and the Shen-gon-wu are just big ol' OAF's with Independent. The Showdowns are a combination "Teleport Usable On Others, Area of Effect (to represent that non-participants cannot interfere in a Showdown, and a Change Environment.)

In short, it's doable.

The four protagonists of the series represent four of the five classical Chinese elements; Water, Wind, Earth and Fire. An experienced "Xiaolin Dragon" gets attacks based on their element and powered by their Chi.

One could have a great deal of fun statting out Shen Gong Wu powers, or even inventing some of their own. The one thing to keep in mind is that even the most trivial or useless of powers can be devastating in creative hands.

One other thing to remember is that many of the enemies of the Xiaolin Dragons are master manipulators. Wuya may be a disembodied spirit with a permanent case of PMS, but she can be quite clever at manipulating people. And Chase Yung, the near-immortal Master of Evil who joins the game later on, is a terrifying combination of intelligence, resourcefulness, combat prowess, and sorcerous power. Plus he can turn himself into a super-strong, super-tough lizard-man. encounters with him need to be memorable, with the players coming out of it thinking they were that close to a TPK and just got out by the skin of their teeth.

I've got a game, more or less based on this, for my kids, age 9 & 11. That's sort of the flavor, though the characters are anthropomorphic animals rather than humans. In that way it draws on several Saturday Morning Cartoons, though Xiaolin SHowdown is the most identifiable. It's a HERO starter campaign, really, with some of the X.S. background kept more for familiarity's sake than a real foundation for the campaign.

Thanks for the information Mike and Defcon. Right now, I don't know if I am using any of the villains from the show. Pandababa or the fat ninja are the ones that are speaking to me.

I might use an older Katnappi.

Right now it's just in the planning stages for one person. If I get more players, I might expand out.

Cancer, what did use in your campaign?

CES

Sort of the overall flavor. Characters are novice monks of a sort-of-East Asian variety. Most of the powers work through a modified END reserve which I label "Chi", which is recharged via the Meditation skill. Magic items exist, with loose connections to classical elements. Most combat is martial arts; there's no gunpowder in the world. Evil sorcerors have been mentioned but they haven't see any.

So far the campaign hasn't advanced far enough for any rivals or enemies to manifest. The PCs are still in the first of the Seven Schools.

I've watched a few episodes here and there. But' date=' didnt Wuya get a body eventually. I seem to remember an episode where she wasnt a spirit. :straight:[/quote']

The one I have seen is the one where the reversing mirror and serpent's tail is used to give her back her body and magic powers.

Desolidification+transform to opposite effect= solid ghost.

CES

The one I have seen is the one where the reversing mirror and serpent's tail is used to give her back her body and magic powers.

Desolidification+transform to opposite effect= solid ghost.

Later she was able to achieve a more permanent transformation, which was not without its inconveniences (having to take care of a body and its, er, biological functions was something she was out of practice with).

Later she was able to achieve a more permanent transformation' date=' which was not without its inconveniences (having to take care of a body and its, er, [i']biological functions[/i] was something she was out of practice with).

She was also without the vast majority of her magical powers (which she *did* have when Raimundo turned her human with the Serpent's Tail and Reversing Mirror).

I was considering this at one point, though I was going to have the Showdowns be more combative than competitive. For example, in the first episode, Omi and Jack had a race across several-stories-high stone pillars; in my case, it would likely have been a fight atop those pillars.

I was considering this at one point, though I was going to have the Showdowns be more combative than competitive. For example, in the first episode, Omi and Jack had a race across several-stories-high stone pillars; in my case, it would likely have been a fight atop those pillars.

The "competitive" nature of the Showdowns is actually one of the things I would like about such a campaign -- a showdown is never "Last one to die wins" and it gives potential PCs and NPCs alike a chance to use a large number of skills they otherwise wouldn't -- and provides a powerful incentive to create well-rounded characters with a lot of different abilities and quirks besides being martial artists.

I'm getting ready to start a campaign based on this. Has anyone looked at it for a setting?

CES

I haven't done anything with this, but I have thought about it.

As others have mentioned, the Wu would be independent, OAF, and incantation (name of Wu must be spoken to activate). The GM should design all the Wu, and they should be useful but not unbalancing, I'm thinking 10 to 30 Active points. (Naturally there will be exceptions, like Serpent's Tail or Golden Tiger Claws, which will take more points).

A Xiaolin Showdown can be declaired when two characters are fighting for possession of a Wu. When one character pickes up a Wu, if an opposing character can execute a grab maneuver before the first character's next phase, they may challenge to a showdown rather that the STR vs STR roll.

The "competitive" nature of the Showdowns is actually one of the things I would like about such a campaign -- a showdown is never "Last one to die wins" and it gives potential PCs and NPCs alike a chance to use a large number of skills they otherwise wouldn't -- and provides a powerful incentive to create well-rounded characters with a lot of different abilities and quirks besides being martial artists.

True, though I'd install the safeguards in the showdown where nobody dies (when after the Golden Tiger Claws, Jack looked like he fell into a lava pool). On the other hand, the fights are more ... interactive, shall I say? I think I'd have a hard time being entertaining describing the Kung Fu Follow The Leader Showdown between Omi and Chase Young, which essentially was a series of Acrobatics checks while calling out various stances and attacks ("Grasshopper doing the dogpaddle? Now I know they're making this up." "Nope, it's right here in black and white, right next to 'Spider doing the hokey-pokey'.")

It doesn't have to be either-or, for that matter. Whoever calls the Showdown sets the rules, after all. It might be interesting watching someone who's looking down a Wu at someone who he knows completely outclasses him in fighting style trying to come up with a nonviolent Showdown. :)

Re: xiaolin showdown

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not too worried about building the exact same wu from the show or the nature of the Showdowns since I don't know if I will be using Hero. Where I am stuck is an original opening to get started.

Since I only have one player, there's no team so I don't have to worry about monks, Dashi, or some of the associated background elements.

CES

• 2 weeks later...

Liz and I decided to just freeform this game.

The list is created at yahoogroups.

The description of her character and an NPC are:

Name: Jade Lee (also known as The Tiger Lady)

Basic Description: Chinese American,Long Black hair with Red streaks,Bright Green eyes,almost alway wears beautiful Bright color kimonos with a tiger on it,also wears 3 inch long clawlike nails.

Background:Comes form a will known Mob family(I will let you pick the name of the mob family)she is the granddaughter of the Mob Boss,and started her training as soon as she could walk so she is one for the familys best fighter,and one day she will take over the family business.

Skills (ten things you are good at) Intimidation, Finance,Leadership, Martial Arts,Martial Arts Weapons,Natural Weapens,Politics Stealth,Steetwise,

One special move:Deadly Tiger Claw Strike,(She is very deadly with any Martial Arts Weapons But like to give her killing blow with her claw like nails if needed,But she will not kill unless she has to.)

Name Jonny Woo

basic description: Chinese American, brown hair/eyes, usually wears clothes to blend into crowds. Usually carries two 9mm pistols on his person.

background: Former soldier who became a mercenary hitman for several criminal groups, and bounty hunter.

skills (ten things you are good at): Driving, stealth, electronics, locks, parachuting, unarmed combat, piloting, wilderness survival, climbing, streetwise.

He can drive and pilot most small vehicles, sneak in pass guards, disable most locks, even electronic ones, is good with his hands but not steven seigal, can live in hostile environments, such as mountains and forests, knows people who will hire him to do a job illegal or not.

One special move: Chow Yun Fat's Gunslinging : The character can use any firearm with deadly accuracy, even using a pistol in both hands as he moves around.

• 2 weeks later...

Ghost Template

Name

Type human/animal/monster/combo

rage

special moves

appearance

Sample Ghost

Name: Song Wing Chun

Type: Human

Rage: Not his home/time

Special Moves: power wave/burn knuckle/wind slap

Appearance: Chinese man with que, dressed in cotton shirt, pants, slippers.

(Jet Li in Fearless)

NPCS

1) Edgar Gaddy: Ghostbuster/ weird scientist

2) Ghost King: master of ghosts and ectoplasm

3) Bob Lee: Jade Lee's dad who runs the local Chinese Mafia

4) Mario Gambini: Bob Lee's Italian counterpart

5) Detective Roy Clemmons: Anti gang detective

6) Jonny Woo: Hired gun

7) Uncle Henry: master of feng shui and geomancy

8) Song Wing Chun: Ghost of the Teahouse

9) Runt: Giant Basset Hound

10) Yuskaba: Headless Swordsman Ghost

CES

Edgar Gaddy has devoted his life to studying the unusual and Fortean. He has developed means to track and quantify the things that live beyond science. His outlook has never the less made him considered a quack by his colleagues in the scientific community. Still he pereveres in the hopes of finding something he can use to further his own studies into the strange.

Gaddy is a small, bespectacled man usually dressed in a lab coat.

His mission at the moment is to hire someone to test his new ghostbusting equipment. The trends lead him to expect the rise of some unknown force leading to a thousand years of darkness. He wants an investigator that will help stem the tide.

The Ghost King is Gaddy's opposite. He knows how to use the supernatural to his own ends. That means making himself a profit in some way. He has gathered material to make his own ghosts even if he can't control what they will look and act like.

CES

• 2 weeks later...

Page 1

Jade Lee, daughter of Song Lo Lee, heir to Wang Chi Lee's criminal organization, was surrounded by bodyguards as she entered the Southern Triangle tea house that her family owned and operated. She saw the staff clear the family booths so she could eat in privacy, a wall of meat surrounding her.

Her long nails glittered under the lights as she walked, kimono catching the breeze from an air conditioner.

Her sharp eyes caught sight of Jonny Woo, a former retainer. He ate by himself in a corner booth, eyes covering the room. She knew he had fast hands and could shoot better than most if he had to do it.

His booth was a little to the left of her path as she walked toward the back of the tea house.

Jade held up a hand to stop the men at her side and said,"Wait here. I would like to see how our guest is doing." Then she smiled and walked over to Johnny Woo's table and said, "Good evening Mr. Woo. Are you enjoy our great food and service here? And if I may ask what brings you here?"

"I'm waiting to meet someone, Miss Lee," said Mr. Woo. "You're welcome to sit with me if your goons will permit it."

Jade's smile got bigger as she looked over to her men and nodded to a chair. One of her men moved over to the chair and pulled it out so she could sit down and then stepped back and stood near to guard over her as she said, "Why thank you Mr Woo. I would love to. Would you care to share some wine with me?" Then she looked over to her men and said, "Please have Ma-lin bring me a bottle of red wine with two glasses. So Mr. Woo, how has life been treating you lately?"

"Making a living," said Woo, one hand on chopsticks, the other beneath the table. "There's always someone who needs something to be done. How's the princess life?"

The waiter returned with a bottle and two glasses. He popped the cork and poured some into each of the tall glasses.

Jade picked up her glass of wine and swirled it around in front of her nose and smelt it before taking a sip to see if it is to her liking. Once the sweet berry taste hit her tongue, she smiled and looked and nodded at the waiter and said, "Thank you Ma-lin, you may go for now. I will send for you when I am ready to eat."

Once he was gone, Jade sat her glass of wine down and looks into it sadly as she said, "You know Mr. Woo, your lack of trust hurts my feelings." She looked into his eyes as she said, "There is no need for your hand to be on your gun. After all, aren't we all friends here? So please relax and enjoy your food and my company. Now as for as you say my "princess life", everything is just fine. I have been keeping busy as well. After all, there is always someone or something that needs to be taken care of, and that is what I do best, but you already know that don't you, Mr.Woo?"

With that last said, Jade picks up her wine glass again and took a drink.

The Southern Triangle Teahouse was built on an existing house about fifty years ago. The outer structure is used as a traditional restaurant, with a covered deck built where the roof on the original house used to be. The remains of the original house at the core of the restaurant is used as an office, and drop off point for the various types of contraband the Lees smuggle into the country, and the indentured servants who must pay off their debts before they become Americans.

The Southern Triangle acts as a field headquarters for Bob Lee's men before, during, and after an operation. They meet there to plan a job, to regroup if the job goes bad, and to split the proceeds. No robbery or other criminal deed is done without Lee's tacit approval.

The teahouse is under watch by the police gang unit, but without evidence there isn't much they can do to stop the Chinese mafia from doing what they have to do.