The Colossus Effect?

Demonsong

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

And all of the official Marvel canon states that Colossus becomes completely solid metal.

That has always been my understanding. They called it organic, but solid metal. Thus Magneto could throw him around

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Kid Chaos

all in all though I agree with the sentiment. The writer and current plot have more to do with a heroes powers and limits on them.

The abilities and powers changes with writers and converters. Some think the DD's dex would be 30+ others 20-25. Some would put Colossus str at 100 others lower.

The books/games are a good starting point and guideline. But, ultimately it's going to come down to the the taste of the writer or converter.

I was speaking from a strictly comic book point of view. I'm not touching the interpretation end of this. ;-)

Every DM, Player, etc has their own feeling on how to translate a character from media into their game system of choice. Most agree that you go with what you can deduce from the media. You wouldn't for example give Cyclops a very high strength because he's never displayed such in the comics. As long as a conversion is in the ballpark I don't see quibbling over the details to much.

Colossus's weight is an issue to me....he's seen doing things somone with to much mass couldn't do easily. No I can't recall specific examples just a general impression from 20 years of comic collecting.

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

The writers have differed on that over the years; but I clearly remember back in the day he was referred to as being "solid organic steel"

"Solid organic osmium steel." And, hey, I never took chemistry or anything so there's no other reason for me to know that word.

He doesn't coat himself, he is solid metal (and never did weigh what he was supposed to, only in the 600 range iirc).

Since he doesn't have the properties of vibranium or anything, just being coated in metal would mean he'd die real fast from those massive impacts. Also, he's been heated up red hot (that would cook the fleshy bits inside). etc etc. He's always solid. We even saw his metal guts in one issue...

Originally posted by Demonsong

Does any one know who’s intellectual property Colossus originally was? Who came up with the idea?

He was originally and will always be Marvel's IP. That's how their contracts are setup from what I understand.

As for who originally created him..I'm not sure exactly who's responsible but Dave Cockrum is known as a co-creator of the new x-men.

I would agree then that maybe Clairmont/Cockrum created Colossus.

Originally posted by Acroyear

"Solid organic osmium steel." And, hey, I never took chemistry or anything so there's no other reason for me to know that word.

He doesn't coat himself, he is solid metal (and never did weigh what he was supposed to, only in the 600 range iirc).

Since he doesn't have the properties of vibranium or anything, just being coated in metal would mean he'd die real fast from those massive impacts. Also, he's been heated up red hot (that would cook the fleshy bits inside). etc etc. He's always solid. We even saw his metal guts in one issue...

Thats what Im saying; its someone else claiming its just his skin.

Originally posted by Kid Chaos

He was originally and will always be Marvel's IP. That's how their contracts are setup from what I understand.

As for who originally created him..I'm not sure exactly who's responsible but Dave Cockrum is known as a co-creator of the new x-men.

I would agree then that maybe Clairmont/Cockrum created Colossus.

Ive seen most of the "New" X-Men from Giant Sized accreditied to Clairemont. But who knows?

Colossus also had a relationship with Kitty Pryde who was IIRC one of Clairemont's many pet teen-aged girl characters. My impression of the way CC's brain worked would indicate he'd be more likely to involve characters he had a tight connection to in his little super-soap opera melodramas than characters created/controlled by other authors. Thats just my humble theory however.

No clue..I worked at a rather large comic chain at the time and recall talking to clairmont when he came in for a signing about the new x-men. he mentioned Cockrum's name as a co-creator of the "new x-men" which is what most people refer to as Clairmont's tenor as a writer.

I know he had a special attachment to Colossus especially from his treatment of him in Inferno.

Guest white peregrine

from my recollections...colossus is solid organic steel when he transforms as indicated by the Marvel Universe Handbook. Even his eyes turned into organic steel due to the reference about taking a bullet to the eye in the MUH.

One of the unusual factors that would happen from time to time is wounds wound transfer from one state to the next dependant on the writer....for the most part though he was rarely injured to such a degree.

In regards to his strength. he did get more powerful in the latter days. that he rival thor in pure physical strength I can go with. he was probably one of the biggest bricks on earth in the marvel universe. remember...we're talkin purely physical strength not "hitting" strength which is where thor jumps ahead...and this is due to his hammer versus his actual physical strength.

FYI Nightcrawler is all Cockrum. He originally WAS a demon and the original design had a black and yellow suit (exactly the same) not black and red.

In fact, Nightcrawler very nearly was a member of the LSH!

So, no, Clairmont did not design all the New X-Men (at the very least).