The Colossus Effect?

Demonsong

Guest white peregrine

I'd personally run with OIHID. some growth(say 5/10pts), armor with appropriate advantages and call it a day. his stats would be modified accordingly to his "armored" form which just means I would bump his STR, CON, and BODY up. all his other stats would remain the same.

I think colossus is actually a good representative of your "standard" brick. as such, you want to keep him simple and clean as far as powers go. the only thing "funky" about him is that he has to change into hero id to have his powers...aka: OIHID limitation.

on a side note...colossus is indeed dead. he sacrificed himself to save the rest of the mutants on the wolrd from the legacy virus. due to this, I seriously doubt that we will see him return...to bad really, always was my favorite x-man. what a waste...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the version of Colossus that I played in our old X-Men campaign. This is a Silver/Bronze Age version and I just updated it from 3rd Ed. Hero System. There were a lot of tweaks to the Hero system in this old campaign, not the least of which was a complete redo of the STR chart (for instance 35 STR = 1 ton lift, 62 STR = 10 tons, 81 STR = 50 tons, 89 STR = 100 tons, etc.)

When we played this game we played it for fun alone. XP were rarely awarded by the GM. Our take on this was that the Colossus from issue 60 was really no different that the Colossus that appeared in issue 80. Whenever the character in the comic appeared to have changed we'd change our write-up of them.

Colossus

Val Char Cost
78/88 STR 15
20 DEX 30
30 CON 26
12/13 BODY 4
10 INT 0
18 EGO 10
20 PRE 5
16 COM 3
24/45 PD 5
24/45 ED 5
4 SPD 0
23 REC 2
60 END -3
87/88 STUN 3
6" RUN02" SWIM05" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 105

Cost Power END
Living Steel Powers
60 1) Armor (20 PD/20 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
31 2) Life Support , Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents, Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents, Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing (39 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
8 3) Density Increase (200 kg mass, +5 STR, +1 PD/ED, -1" KB), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (10 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
8 4) Growth (+5 STR, +1 BODY, +1 STUN, -1" KB, +0 DCV, +0 PER Rolls to perceive character, 2 m tall, 1 m wide, 200 kg mass), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (10 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
4 5) Power Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
Living Steel Increased Characteristics
35 1) +53 STR (53 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), STR does not add to Jump (-1/4) 5
11 2) +7 CON (14 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
5 3) +3 EGO (6 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
4 4) +5 PRE (5 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
2 5) +3 PD (3 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
10 6) +13 ED (13 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
8 7) +1 SPD (10 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
13 8) +16 STUN (16 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
2 9) +6 END (3 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
7 Instant Change: Transform 2d6: From Civilian ID into Colossus Form (Cosmetic) (10 Active Points); Limited Target Own Clothing Only (-1/2) 1
3 Mental Resistance Training: +5 Mental Defense (9 points total) (5 Active Points); Limited Power Not vs. EGO Attacks (-1/2)
Powers Cost: 211

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
4 Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
2 Punch: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, Strike
3 Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +v/5, Target Falls
3 Upper Cut: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, Strike +2d6
Martial Arts Cost: 12

Cost Skill
1 Breakfall 8-
3 Language: English (Russian is native) (completely fluent)
2 Navigation (Air, Land) 8-
3 Paramedics 11-
4 PS: Artist 13-
2 PS: Farmer 11-
3 Survival (Arctic/Subarctic, Mountain, Temperate/Subtropical) 8-
1 Systems Operation 8-
18 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Agricultural & Construction Vehicles, Combat Aircraft, Equines, Helicopters, Large Planes, Parachuting, Basic, SCUBA, Skating (iceskating or rollerskating), Skiing (snow), Sleds, Small Motorized Boats, Small Planes, Small Rowed Boats, Snowmobiles, Tracked Military Vehicles, Wheeled Military Vehicles
10 +2 with HTH Combat
3 +1 Throwing
4 +2 RMod with Throwing
Skills Cost: 54

Total Character Cost: 382

Val Disadvantages
10 Psychological Limitation: Loyality to the X-Men (Uncommon; Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Code vs. Killing (Common; Strong)
15 Social Limitation: Secret ID: Pietr Rasputian (Frequently; Major)
20 Hunted: Sentinels 11- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)
15 Hunted: Magneto 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)
15 Hunted: Brotherhood of Evil Mutants 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)
15 Hunted: Hellfire Club 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish) [Notes: All of the hunteds are More Powerful because all are groups whose combined might is greater than Colossus alone, except for Magneto who is obviously more powerful.]
5 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x STUN EGO Attacks (Uncommon)

Disadvantage Points: 110

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 72

Total Experience Available: 72

Experience Unspent: 0

The attached image is the artwork we used. I had to shrink it to less than half its original size to make the size limit.

Thanx for the write up & HDC EDSEL; however 1 note: you dont need Instant Change in conjunction with OIHID. The appearance change is handled by the activation of his Powers.

FAQ Q: I’m somewhat confused by the removal of Instant Change as a separate Power (now it’s just Transform) and the whole “activating your powers is a Zero-Phase Action that can work a physical change†rule. I’d like some guidance or further explanation, based on hypotheticals.

Q1: Tony’s instant change is that his armor teleports to him from his headquarters. His clothing isn’t transmuted. Let’s say he “changes†into his armor. His armor can still be taken away from him, in which case he can’t change back into it — there isn’t an armored suit on the teleport pad waiting for his call anymore. Can he change back to his normal clothes? The armor is actually too tough for Transform to convert it back to normal clothes.

A1: You’re confusing Instant Change with “activation of powers.†When Tony has his armor zapped on to him, he’s activating his powers. Nothing happens to his clothing (it would stay on underneath, perhaps, or get zapped back to the teleport pad through the same process that sent the armor). All he’s done is turned on his powers.

The appearance and disappearance of the armor are special effects. They’ve got nothing to do with Transforming clothes. But even if his special effect was “my clothes change into armor†— that’s just a special effect. You don’t have to buy Instant Change Transform or any other Power to accomplish it — it’s just an activation of powers. Check out “Activating Powers†on 5E 71-72 for further discussion.

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Well, Collossus is dead now IIRC, so thats a change, but regardless he hasnt changed back to normal form when knocked out for a long time. In fact, after the Marauders beat him up he had to strain to turn the armor form off rather than the other way around. during the years I was reading the X-Men, he was pretty much just always in metal form.....

You were reading during a bad period of the X-Men then. Oh wait, anything from around 200-220 on is a bad period. IMO

Originally posted by Brutal

Is the OIHID even worth any points to Colossus anyways? I havent really read much comics worth mentioning about the big guy in years, but AFAIK he wasn't human form a whole lot. I probably wouldnt giving any points to someone that goes human form that little.

He stayed in human form most of the time when the book was worth reading back in the issues now considered "classics" and I consider the early run of the Uncanny before Claremont lost his grip on storytelling.

Guest white peregrine

pre-marauder incident peter actually spent a majority of his "down time" unarmored. that the comic is action based (like nearly all comics are) the ratio is definately lopsided. I would still classify his armored form as OIHID due to the time that they had been captured and his Armored Form was neutralized...meaning he couldn't get out of the prison he was put in. that it happened rarely works as well from a gaming stand point in that the character should not always have to deal with loss of his abilities all the time....it should be a rare occurance as it was with colossus....

I collected from 200 to 300. I also had all of the Classic X-Men as well.

Early 200s is when I finally realized I had been collecting a book because I used to like the stories. I could see the warning signs with the Callisto/Angel plot, Storm's identity crisis, and Claremont's inability to let go of Marvel Secret Wars garbage, actually letting it "infect" the subplots in the main title. Claremont always seemed to need a strong creative team to keep his ideosyncracies in check. When Byrne left it was only a matter of time before Claremont lost his bearings. Of course, Byrne needed someone keeping him in check too. They both worked best, together, with "Darth" Shooter peering over their shoulders.

Lots of Marvel Folks

Our old campaign took place during the pre-dark phoenix saga. With a few versions of later characters as well. Back then Pete did indeed stay in normal human form whenever he could. Being in his armored form just served to remind him that he wasn't normal. Besides it was a lot easier to interact like a normal person when you arn't made of steel.

I probably need to work on my version of him a little. Now that I reexamine it the OIHID is probably optional. I'm not really sure I like the new way to handle Instant Change but that's probably just me being uncomfortable with something new. I'm getting set in my ways in my older years :D (I'm 41). :eek:

I've got write up for a whole passel of the X-Men: Archangel, Banshee, Beast, Bishop, Cannonball, Cyclops, Gambit, Havok, Ice Man, Jubilee, Marvel Girl, Nightcrawler, Phoenix, Polaris, Psylocke, Rogue, Shadowcat, Siryn, Storm, Strong Guy, Sunfire, Professor X and Wolverine. Colossus was my character.

A lot of Avengers: Black Knight, Captian America, Hawkeye, Iron Man (including Anthony Stark, Iron Man Mk. V, VI & VII), Hercules, Living Lightning, Ms Marvel (Carol Danvers (sp?)), Thor & Wasp. I played Iron Man in this group.

Other Marvel Heros: Daredevil, Demolition Man, Diamondback, Falcon, Iron Fist, Moon Knight, Silver Sable, Spider-Man, Witchfire. I'd run Demolition Man whenever we played the variant we called Captian America & His Amazing Friends.

The Thunderbolts (remember them?): Jolt, Atlas, MACH-1, Moonstone & Songbird

From the Shi'ar Imperial Guard I have: Earthquake, Fang, Gladiator, Hussar, Manta, Neutron (originally Quasar), Oracle, Smasher, Starbolt, Titan and Warstar (C'Cil & B'Nee)

Neutrals (sometimes villians): Crimson Dynamo, Hulk

Villians: Absorbing Man, AIM Agents, Batroc the Leaper, Bulldozer (member of Wrecking Crew), Bullseye, Crossbones, Doctor Doom, Emma Frost (White Queen of the Hellfire Club), Hellfire Mercenaries (agents), HYRDA (Assault Agents & Commandos), Jack O'lantern, Juggernaut, Klaw (and a Sonic Ape), Harry Leland (Black Bishop of the Hellfire Club), Machete, Machinesmith, Magneto, Mastermind (Jason Wyngarde of the Hellfire Club), Donald Pierce (White Bishop of the Hellfire Club), Piledriver (Wrecking Crew), Selene (Black Queen of the Hellfire Club), Sebastian Shaw (Black King of the Hellfire Club), Silver Dreadnoughts, Spymaster, Thunderball (Wrecking Crew), Titania, Ultron-11, Wrecker (leader of the Wrecking Crew), Zaran and Baron Zemo II

The Bad News is that, aside from Colossus, I haven't put any of them into Hero Designer format yet.:( However, as time permits I might start converting some of them.

Doesn't OIHID need a defined condition to prevent change?

As the bad guy, how can I prevent Colossus from changing?

If I can't prevent the change, its not OIHID, so how is the effect simulated without OIHID?

Finally, has Colossus ever been blindsided in his squishy, human form? Are his powers really limited?

Originally posted by PowerMavin

Doesn't OIHID need a defined condition to prevent change?

Sure. Does that change have to be physical? No. A psychological one is just fine... such as "I don't want to expose my secret identity."

While Jean Grey might be able to secretly toss her powers around in subtle ways, Iceman can hold his hands behind his back and make his cola cold without raising alarm, Colossus can not turn into a metal guy to help himself open a stubborn jar of pickles without everyone easily seeing "oh, cripes, he's a big metal guy!"

Colossus doesn't care as much, it seems... however, there are times when he doesn't want to freak people out and stuff. In his particular case, it has to do more with distinctive features and social disads than a "secret id."

As the bad guy, how can I prevent Colossus from changing? If I can't prevent the change, its not OIHID, so how is the effect simulated without OIHID?

Not all limitations are about the bad guy doing stuff to you.

In Colossus' case. He's very easy to KO when in his fleshy form, he could be put on a weight sensitive device/sensor/whatever attached to a bomb or over a volcano or whatever wacky thing you can think of if you really need that aspect.

Finally, has Colossus ever been blindsided in his squishy, human form? Are his powers really limited?

I'm pretty sure he has, however, comic stories are rare where you showcase a character by leaving him unconscious or something the whole time ;)

It can be simulated other ways, of course. OIHID just seems the most streamlined to me.

Ahem; couldnt find the IMAGE tags in the B&W Heroboards export template I gave you I take it?

No! I can't! its killing me.

Do I need to save it as an Hdx file or what? I'm ....oh wait, maybe I am doing ...... nope, that wasn't it either....

Originally posted by Enforcer84

No! I can't! its killing me.

Do I need to save it as an Hdx file or what? I'm ....oh wait, maybe I am doing ...... nope, that wasn't it either....

Make sure you are using the B&W export.

When making the character, make sure that the character has a n image IN HERO DESIGNER. It doesnt matter what picture, any picture will do. Then export. The export template uses the if image tag to implant the appropriate html snippet if the character file has an image.

Originally posted by Acroyear

Sure. Does that change have to be physical? No. A psychological one is just fine... such as "I don't want to expose my secret identity."

While Jean Grey might be able to secretly toss her powers around in subtle ways, Iceman can hold his hands behind his back and make his cola cold without raising alarm, Colossus can not turn into a metal guy to help himself open a stubborn jar of pickles without everyone easily seeing "oh, cripes, he's a big metal guy!"

Colossus doesn't care as much, it seems... however, there are times when he doesn't want to freak people out and stuff. In his particular case, it has to do more with distinctive features and social disads than a "secret id."

Not all limitations are about the bad guy doing stuff to you.

In Colossus' case. He's very easy to KO when in his fleshy form, he could be put on a weight sensitive device/sensor/whatever attached to a bomb or over a volcano or whatever wacky thing you can think of if you really need that aspect.

I'm pretty sure he has, however, comic stories are rare where you showcase a character by leaving him unconscious or something the whole time ;)

It can be simulated other ways, of course. OIHID just seems the most streamlined to me.

He has been surprised. The other thing is he has had his power turned off for him.

Originally posted by Agent X

He has been surprised. The other thing is he has had his power turned off for him.

I figured as much. :)

However, the "turned off" thing I wouldn't use as a qualifier, myself, because you can drain such a thing away even if he bought it straight and such.

Technically, you could also mind control him to turn it off since persistant powers can be voluntarily shut off... but that's against the spirit of many conceptions and, to my experience, rarely comes up.

Robot Guy "I'm a robot, I don't have to breath out here in space."

Mind Control: "Turn off your life support"

Robot Guy then sufforcates...

I figured as much. :)

However, the "turned off" thing I wouldn't use as a qualifier, myself, because you can drain such a thing away even if he bought it straight and such.

Technically, you could also mind control him to turn it off since persistant powers can be voluntarily shut off... but that's against the spirit of many conceptions and, to my experience, rarely comes up.

Robot Guy "I'm a robot, I don't have to breath out here in space."

Mind Control: "Turn off your life support"

Robot Guy then sufforcates...

Except of course in 5th Edition the Robot should probably have INHERENT Life Support, which could not be turned off. :)

Except of course in 5th Edition the Robot should probably have INHERENT Life Support, which could not be turned off. :)

Very true. Although should doesn't always equate to does. ;) This is true of many of the sample characters we've seen, too, where some of their powers should be inherent, but aren't purchased that way (the life support on Mechanon, just to give one example).

Very true. Although should doesn't always equate to does. ;) This is true of many of the sample characters we've seen, too, where some of their powers should be inherent, but aren't purchased that way (the life support on Mechanon, just to give one example).

True, but Mechanon takes STUN too, so he's not very Robotic. I suspect that one day we will discover that hiding behind Mechanon is a very small man with a huge Napolean complex that can clone himself, who wants to wipe out all mankind due to a sheer stunty-egoitistic inability to deal with his inadequecies.

Secretly, Mechanon is just a Power Armor suit. ;)

I have worked up Colossus for a evolution type campaign. So he's in his early to mid-teens and not fully matured.

Colossus

Player:

Val Char Cost
20/40 STR 5
13 DEX 9
15 CON 10
14/16 BODY 8
10 INT 0
10 EGO 0
15 PRE 5
10 COM 0
4/21 PD 1
4/21 ED 1
3 SPD 7
6 REC 0
40 END 5
60/62 STUN 30
8" RUN42" SWIM09"/13" LEAP5Characteristics Cost: 90

Cost Power END
0 Organic Steel Powers:
8 Big & Bad: Growth (+10 STR, +2 BODY, +2 STUN, -2" KB, +0 DCV, +0 PER Rolls to perceive character, 2 m tall, 1 m wide, 499 kg mass) (10 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 1
8 Heavy Man: Density Increase (500 kg mass, +10 STR, +2 PD/ED, -2" KB) (10 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 1
30 Organic Steel: Armor (15 PD/15 ED) (45 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Visible (-1/4)
4 Organic Skin: Damage Resistance (4 PD/4 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (5 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
3 Organic Muscle: +5 STR (5 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 1
10 Heavy Man: Knockback Resistance -5"
14 Organic Steel Body: Life Support , Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing (17 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
5 Mental Conditioning: +5 Mental Defense (7 points total)
Powers Cost: 82

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
4 Crush: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, STR +4d6 Crush, Must Follow Grab
3 Flying Tackle: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, -1 DCV, STR +v/5 Strike; You Fall, Target Falls; FMove
3 Takedown: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +1 DCV, STR Strike; Target Falls
Martial Arts Cost: 10

Cost Skill
0 Langauge: Russian (Natvie) Complete Fluent: Literate
4 Language: English (completely fluent; literate)
3 KS: Art (INT-based) 11-
Skills Cost: 7

Cost Perk
2 Green Card
Perks Cost: 2

Total Character Cost: 191

Val Disadvantages
15 Physical Limitation: Mutant (All the Time; Slightly Impairing)
20 Hunted: Hunted Mutant haters 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently; Major)

Disadvantage Points: 50

Base Points: 150

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

True, but Mechanon takes STUN too, so he's not very Robotic.

Pshaw! There's no tap dancing around that one, my friend :) Similarly, Mechanon shouldn't be able to turn off his armor (it's metal, the rest of us can't simply "turn off" our skin), his lack of weakness (it's part of the design, that'd be like me just willing my ligaments not to hold my bones together). And that was only one example. What about the Minuteman Robot? That's actually an automaton without inherent LS.

While the tools are certainly there, their use isn't.

I suspect that one day we will discover that hiding behind Mechanon is a very small man with a huge Napolean complex that can clone himself, who wants to wipe out all mankind due to a sheer stunty-egoitistic inability to deal with his inadequecies.

Secretly, Mechanon is just a Power Armor suit. ;)

That's..... real bizarre. :D

I completely agree that many characters that should have inherent applied dont. All I can chalk it up to is Inherent, being new, hasnt completely worked its way into peoples mindsets yet.

The funny thing is, I implemented a similar rule years ago as a variant of Always On after a clever Necromancer PC got rid of a lot of ghosts by Suppressing or Dispelling (cant remember which anymore) thier Desolid. I was like, "uh...that doesnt make any sence...". Basically Always On, cant be turned off was worth -0 rather than the usual -1/2 and had the same exact effect as Inherent does now.

My only concern about Inherent is that, because its an Advantage, it has a steep cost impact for many characters for an effect that simple doesnt come into play all that often.

We had a similar house rule once upon a time (we called it "Intrinsic" for stuff like knives and such. Unless you had a power that specifically targeted the nature of the ability, it couldn't be affected normally).

As for "not in the mind" yet... the same guy who wrote the power in also did the write-up :P heh heh. When published works are our sample characters... what lead will most people follow? And, thus, what is the standard? It leaves the rest of us playing a slightly different game, in the end.

I agree with the cost concern, too. However, I suppose for those who are adhering to the letter of the rules and are also Champsguy-like, one must have ways to counter inventive means for SFX-ing everything as immune to drain/etc for free.