The Hanzo sword

Patriot

Re: The Hanzo sword

I'd call it exceptional just because of it's cinematic fame.

Though I have never written it up I have written up an exceptional katana or two in the past. The way our group usually does this is to give the weapon one or two points of resistant Piercing (page 96 of Dark Champions). Other than that it would use the normal katata stats from The Ultimate Martial Artist. Since a katana already gets a +1 OCV bonus I'd be reluctant to grant it any more bonuses.

Hmmm...

It might not be a bad idea to tackle not only the Hanso katana, but the Green Destiny sword from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon as well.

Some ideas for the Hanso sword here:

1) Either a Drain attack vs. blocking weapons or Penetrating vs. blocking weapons (to simulate the blade breaking ability),

2) Bonus to PRE when wielded against other swordsmen,

3) Bonus to OCV and DCV (for the perfect blade),

4) Affects Desolid ("If you should encounter God on your journey, then God will be cut!" power),

5) Transform power of some kind to simulate the limb severing power of the blade.

Possible disadvantages for the sword:

1) Famous swordmaker,

2) Hunted by collectors, swordsmen and women worldwide,

3) Unluck for its weilder (the owner is forced to walk a path of blood).

Just some ideas. :)

Matt "From-this-position-you-gain-an-excellent-view-of-my-foot!" Frisbee

The Green Destiny sword from Crouching Tiger' date=' Hidden Dragon. [/quote']

Without further research, I'd consider this a flat out magical weapon. [EDIT: Wiki says the blade is lighter and stronger than other blades. It was made though an unknown technique adn was forged, possibly, from meteor rock. It also says that eventually it will destroy/break any weapon facing it.]

I know it's semi-official in Superheroic games, but I hate Transform for cutting off limbs or blinding. If I were going to allow it at all, I'd just use the optional rules as they stand and be done with it.

As to the sword, it's just a high quality Katana. Add +1 OCV, +1 damage or maybe +1/2d6, maybe increase the weapon's DEF by a point or two.

my thought is that it is that the sword really doesnt have powers..( maybe hardened or have one level of ocv on it.. ) but the SKILL of the warrior is what counts :D

That's true for the Hanzo sword certainly, but I belive Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon makes it clear the Green Destiny does have powers. It's mentioned at least once in the movie [that I can recall] that the person weilding it [the young female lead, I forget her name] only won a certain fight because she had it.

I know it's semi-official in Superheroic games' date=' but I hate Transform for cutting off limbs or blinding. If I were going to allow it at all, I'd just use the optional rules as they stand and be done with it.[/quote']

By "optional rules" I believe you mean the rules on pages 276 through 280 regarding Bleeding, Disabling, Impairing, and Wounding.

Though complicating combat somewhat, I agree these work much better than the "Transform kludge."

Which raises the possibility of modeling an exceptional sword by giving it a die or two of HKA with the Limitations Does No STUN (-1/4) and Only To Determine if Bleeding, Disabling, Impairing, Or Wounding Have Occurred (-1).

Rather nasty, isn't it? :eg: