Archetype Twists

Metaphysician

Re: Archetype Twists

Hmm.. dunno if this is against archetype or anything, but I'm currently playing a catholic priest in a monster hunter campaign that a) doesn't agree with the church at all, B) hasn't taken a vow of chastity, and c) carries a really big hand-cannon.

No, he is not anything like a graviton cleric or whatever. He only has one, its a revolver, and it only holds four rounds (thus the extractor star can look like a stylized cross).

He still does God's work, he is still a good man, and his only vice is the enjoyment of an occasional drink or two... and he doesn't like altar boys, either... perhaps more archetype twist than anything else. =)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can put any phrase or concept you like in front of the word arrow. Universe destroying arrow, universe building arrow etc. I had a Golden Age PC called The Masked Archer who sadly died when he was beheaded by a rampaging robot from the future. Some of my arrow ideas for him were:

Mummification arrow

Crop dusting arrow

Thousand arrow arrow (multiple warhead)

Space Folding arrow

I liked the one the new Speedy used on Superboy-Prime. Roy Harper had...uhem...acquired it on a visit to the Fortress of Solitude. The Phantom Zone arrow.

Here's an idea I just came up with while reading this thread. A Batman-style character, but all his gadgets are magical in nature. Utility belt containing vials of potion, magical amulets, etc. Costume includes a Cloak of Levitation. The idea is that his parents were high-level mystic superheroes, who were killed by a mystic villain when he was very young, before he began his own training in Magic. But he was taught how to use several of their artifacts. The book the parents left behind contains recipes for various potions, as well as intell on various magical threats. He trained his body and mind to the peak of human perfection, as well as learning detective and martial arts skills. Because of his heritage, he has vast potential to be a mage, but it's untrained. Trying to come up with a name.

Here's an idea I just came up with while reading this thread. A Batman-style character' date=' but all his gadgets are magical in nature. Utility belt containing vials of potion, magical amulets, etc. Costume includes a Cloak of Levitation. The idea is that his parents were high-level mystic superheroes, who were killed by a mystic villain when he was very young, before he began his own training in Magic. But he was taught how to use several of their artifacts. The book the parents left behind contains recipes for various potions, as well as intell on various magical threats. He trained his body and mind to the peak of human perfection, as well as learning detective and martial arts skills. Because of his heritage, he has vast potential to be a mage, but it's untrained. Trying to come up with a name.[/quote']

The Dungeon Dragoon.

1st Level Fighter.

Minh Maximus.

Talisman.

eh... Magical Batman?

Dark Mystic? vs Dark Knight. :)

Honestly, making him exactly like Batman but just a magical utility belt seems a bit like only the very slightest of twists...

You incorporate the idea pretty well with the background, just needs a little something more... a new theme, perhaps? A more mythical beast as his gig? A dragon might work, all sorts of mystical stuff there, skip the vehicles and the massive riches.

Lessee.... mystical creatures.... something macho and scarey but not brutish... something scarey... I'd say Scorpion, but not a lot of mystic potential there...well, Dragon still seems best bet, maybe Set from Egyptian pantheon.... *shrug* Just my two cents...

eh... Magical Batman?

Dark Mystic? vs Dark Knight. :)

Honestly, making him exactly like Batman but just a magical utility belt seems a bit like only the very slightest of twists...

You incorporate the idea pretty well with the background, just needs a little something more... a new theme, perhaps? A more mythical beast as his gig? A dragon might work, all sorts of mystical stuff there, skip the vehicles and the massive riches.

Lessee.... mystical creatures.... something macho and scarey but not brutish... something scarey... I'd say Scorpion, but not a lot of mystic potential there...well, Dragon still seems best bet, maybe Set from Egyptian pantheon.... *shrug* Just my two cents...

I was thinking he would play up his mystical nature more, keeping the hand-to-hand stuff in reserve. Yeah, absolutely not Wayne-level funding. No vehicles, but with the cloak he really doesn't need them. And, of course, he could be a world-class mage. He just needs someone to train him. Damn! I wish I could find a group around here. I so want to play this guy, now. Still need to come up with a name, though.

The 'Magical Batman' character sounds like a proposal I wrote up for Marvel Comics' Nighthawk character. He was basically the Batman substitute in the Squadron Supreme, and had a semi-mystical origin (drinking an alchemical potion), so figured it might be interesting to take him more that direction. I even had a sidekick in mind, sort of a grim, violent, vampire-slayer type (kinda reversing the Batman and Robin roles). Fun to think about at the time, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking he would play up his mystical nature more' date=' keeping the hand-to-hand stuff in reserve. Yeah, absolutely not Wayne-level funding. No vehicles, but with the cloak he really doesn't need them. And, of course, he could be a world-class mage. He just needs someone to train him. [i']Damn![/i] I wish I could find a group around here. I so want to play this guy, now. Still need to come up with a name, though.

I had a Psi-Batman type character (Precognotive flashes, basicaly uncontroled, but he could sometimes force a vision, even then he had little to no control over it) called Midnight, just a thought

I would also have him have started to train in the mystic arts, or be at least a little self taught from his parents books

Not entirely sure that Edimors is really an archetype twist; he's a 150,000-year-old human-made-dragon first-experiment-of-the-aliens sort who -- being a first-try sort of thing -- was erroneously given immortality, not just 'very long life'. Regeneration, comes back from the dead, the whole nine yards. He does not want to be a 'superhero' or anything of the sort, however; he wants to grow his 'hoard', enhance the worldwide quality of living, and basically remain as anonymous as he's ever been in the last couple thousand years. He doesn't particularly want to turn back into his dragon form for any extended period of time, because frankly, his thoughts and aims take a considerably different (and more elemental) tack than when he's 'human', and he knows that if he's going to survive in the current age, he needs to remain discrete, and as a dragon, well, he doesn't tend to be.

But events are conspiring to drag him out of his preferred 'retirement'. Stupid Anubis and his stupid scroll-stealing and I swear I'm gonna eat him ...

Note to self: may want to interrogate, torture, and/or slay nasty evil henchvillains somewhat separate from stupid silly 20-point CvK Western superheros. I tell ya, they break into a dragon's lair, they BETTER be aware of what they're getting themselves into. No frelling excuses on this one. The locals in Azerbaijan, they understand. Someone does bad things, someone gets punished, and though usually around here it has to do with a long squeeze of the trigger on an AK-47, well ...

My current character (Siphon, he's posted in the Brick Collection thread if anyone is interested) is the group's "Brick" except he has no super strength or invulnerability. Instead, his special effect is that he debuffs (i.e. reduces the effective of opposing attacks and defenses) his enemies down to managable levels.

I have a character named Angelshark who swims 15" with a x8 non-com multiple in her underwater movement multi-power. When she lands on the ocean floor, she gives new meaning to the phrase "hit the ground running". She takes off at a 35" inch clip with the same x8 multiple. She also has 14" of tunneling provided it is a sandy surface (angelsharks are bottom feeders who use their fins to cover themselves with sand to avoid detection by predators). She also has an Ego multi-power and is trained as a spy. She was designed as an aquatic Flash.