Archetype Twists

Metaphysician

Have you ever taken a common ( or uncommon ) archetype, and given it a major twist? If so, what?

Here's an idea for starts: the Archer is a common low level schtick. So, a team wherein the Archer is actually one of the *higher* power characters. . . because his archery ability is like something out of Exalted. Storms of arrows that can hit entire blocks, with enough precision each as to cause nonfatal injuries; a Karnak-like ability to place an arrow through almost any object; sniping at targets totally outside of normal sight range, let alone bow range. Basically, think the Karate Kid of the bow.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Archetype Twists

My character Blackcat, and my wife's character Gibralter were slight twists on archtype. In thier secret IDs, Gibralter was a detective and Blackcat was her "martial arts strongarm". So when they were in superhero form - Gibralter the major brick was a detective and good with intrusion skills, while the martial artist had no stealth or sneaky skills, and was the upfront in your face fighter.

I once had a player who created a mystic powered armor character, wearing an enchanted suit of plate armor. He had all the typical occult insights and "you're not ready to know the truth" attitude, and lots of small but useful spells; but he could and would also take to the front lines and start knocking heads.

I tend to mix archetypes, more than make major twists on them. That said, I do have a couple characters like that. For instance, Cynwyddon is a Constantine-esque street-level mage/occultist whose main offensive attack was his tricked-out shotgun. His magic was pretty versatile, and helped him come up with some special loads for his shells, but was overall pretty low-key.

Most of my PCs have been pretty straightforward, the only one that messed with archetypes was Miss Cybermiaow, who, as the name suggests, was a cybernetic catgirl.

I've had a few ideas for that sort of messing I've not yet implemented:

Redneck scientist

Patriotic swamp monster – “U… S… A!”

Mystical, mysterious speedster – “You are not yet ready to comprehend the mysteries of… the Speed Force!”

Cat girl scientific genius

Anthropomorphic rabbit with the personality of the Punisher (very similar to mattingly's Thunderbunny above)

Robot wizard

Basically' date=' think the Karate Kid of the bow.[/quote']You can put any phrase or concept you like in front of the word arrow. Universe destroying arrow, universe building arrow etc. I had a Golden Age PC called The Masked Archer who sadly died when he was beheaded by a rampaging robot from the future. Some of my arrow ideas for him were:

Mummification arrow

Crop dusting arrow

Thousand arrow arrow (multiple warhead)

Space Folding arrow

Bitten by a Werewolf, Vampire, Zombie, etc is always a fun twist on any superhero, though I think the former really works best with a hero type that isn't usually a physical threat.

I get surprisinly weird looks when I say " I want a utility belt!" for anyone that isn't a relative normal. Cause having inherent super powers apparently means you have no practical need for a flashlight or a first aid kit. EVER. This of course runs completly counter to my experiences in game, where at some point I will eventually say "Gee, I wish I had handcuffs or some rope right about now."

Also, this thread reminds me slightly of this one

Bitten by a Werewolf, Vampire, Zombie, etc is always a fun twist on any superhero, though I think the former really works best with a hero type that isn't usually a physical threat.

I get surprisinly weird looks when I say " I want a utility belt!" for anyone that isn't a relative normal. Cause having inherent super powers apparently means you have no practical need for a flashlight or a first aid kit. EVER. This of course runs completly counter to my experiences in game, where at some point I will eventually say "Gee, I wish I had handcuffs or some rope right about now."

Also, this thread reminds me slightly of this one

I used to play a Martial brick,heavy on the defence who's tag line was "Man,I have Got to get me a Utility belt!"

Most of my PCs have been pretty straightforward, the only one that messed with archetypes was Miss Cybermiaow, who, as the name suggests, was a cybernetic catgirl.

I've had a few ideas for that sort of messing I've not yet implemented:

Redneck scientist

Patriotic swamp monster – “U… S… A!”

Mystical, mysterious speedster – “You are not yet ready to comprehend the mysteries of… the Speed Force!”

Cat girl scientific genius

Anthropomorphic rabbit with the personality of the Punisher (very similar to mattingly's Thunderbunny above)

Robot wizard

In one of the new Eric Flint books, "von Neumann's war" there is a HUGE redneck Chemist. He talks fairly slowly, is a genius with exothermic reactions, and realisically with other sorts, he just prefers things that go BOOM!:D

Did:

Patriot Mage (An alternate universe version of my martial artist, Anthem)

Undead Schoolgirl girl brick (Sleepwalker)

Shape-changing octagenarian (Mastermorph)

CyberClown (G.I.G.O. the Clown)

[Heck, I think I need to make a miniature for GIGO the clown]

I don't know if there are any archetype twists left I haven't done these days. Pretty little girl bricks, big muscular mentalists, talking dog master villains, drunk hillbilly gadgeteers, fat slow witted martial artists, etc, etc.

About fifteen years ago, SatinKitty's character said to another PC something on the lines of "If you see a little old lady, run!"

The Iron Granny was one of my favorite villains.

Y'know, as far as the whole schoolgirl brick schtick... for whatever reason, I always liked Fairchild from Gen13... mostly from the first few issues, not the later, really tacky swimsuit issue type ones, when she was kind of interesting. At the time, seemed like something new, so I enjoyed it, along with several of the characters... if for nothing else than an attempt at something different. Too bad the comic went downhill so quick, not to mention it was out when Image couldn't seem to get past issue 2 or 3 with any of their books, and it took almost a year to get there anyway...

THAT being said... archetype twists...

I have a martial brick, as well. Black/chinese mixed guy who turns into metal, using shuai jiao for his martial art (throwing and locking). Fun, so far, with a mix of childishness and overt seriousness (try kicking some butt when you forget to change into your cool clothes, and you still have your scooby-doo slippers on... ) and his favorite breakfast of Coa-Coa Puffs and Rice Crispies.

Other twisters... not much in Champions, tend to just play mixed archetypes, more in fantasy or dark champions settings... like the cowardly gunbunny, and the mage who liked drinking more than he liked casting spells... who had a tendency to fall asleep on whatever it was they were looking for...

• 3 months later...

I Created a Magic Girl/Mystic PC whose powers are from the dimension called the DREAMZONE. Besides usinig magic sand [like the sandman] she can also use magic devices and throw mystic bolts[ala Dr Strange],but she has the mentallity of a five year old even though she has the bod of a teenager in her magic girl form. eventally her powers and skills grew stronger and her foes more powerful which puts her at par with Witchcraft of the Champions.

Her former codename,which she since passed to her daughter is Dreamstar,

these days she is the magus known as Magistar.