Visible Foci

Rapier

We are beginning character generation for our next Monster Hunter campaign.

One of the characters is aiming to have a katana wielding far-eastern occultist. We were brainstorming a few ideas of how to make the katana "Special." My 'spouse' (god bless his heart, he has been SO getting into our Hero game lately, that he MIGHT even join in eventually) had this idea. What if the sword glowed when evil was around? He's reading all the Mithgar books by McKiernan (I'm such a corrupting influence). The glow will get stronger the closer evil gets.

For illustraion during the build I chose Necromantic Magic as an example.

We are building it as a compound power:

Shiroi: (Total: 23 Active Cost, 6 Real Cost) Hand-To-Hand Attack +1 1/2d6 (8 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (Katana; -1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus Detect Necromantic Magic 11- (Unusual Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Sense, Telescopic: +10 (15 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (Katana; -1) (Real Cost: 4)

My first impression is that the Detect glows so is Visible. But you can't take Visible on an OAF. Do I create a custom limitation and call it Visible and be damned the rules? Do I lower the Focus level and purchase Visible?

The Detect is always on and cannot be turned off. Is this No Conscious Control or Inherent? Or is this just a side effect of making it a Sense?

I'm concerned about the PER roll. 11-? I was thinking of boosting that to a pretty high, never miss roll. This is not something that can be fooled without some major magical expenditure.

Thanks for your input!

r

Re: Visible Foci

I have a few suggestions:

1. The Detect should have "Ranged" else the "Telescopic" won't help much. ;)
  2. Visible might be a way of representing the Glowing effect, but to me it sounds more like a Side Effect (Glows when it detects something). That way, it is sorta "Uncontrolled".

Questions: Is the visual cue the only indication to the user that Necromantic Magic is about? (i.e. does the sword-weilder know that evil is about if he has his eyes closed?) If he needs to see it glow than you may want to have "Flashed as Sight Group" Limitation ontop of everything else. Also, you will have to think what happens when it is sheathed.

I have a few suggestions:
  1. The Detect should have "Ranged" else the "Telescopic" won't help much. ;)
  2. Visible might be a way of representing the Glowing effect, but to me it sounds more like a Side Effect (Glows when it detects something). That way, it is sorta "Uncontrolled".

Questions: Is the visual cue the only indication to the user that Necromantic Magic is about? (i.e. does the sword-weilder know that evil is about if he has his eyes closed?) If he needs to see it glow than you may want to have "Flashed as Sight Group" Limitation ontop of everything else. Also, you will have to think what happens when it is sheathed.

I was basing the Detect in the Sight Group so it's already ranged. But perhaps I shouldn't be using Sight. Maybe Unusual. Hmmm.

The visual clue is the only indiciation. Sheathing the sword will, of course, hide the glow. I don't think Side Effect is the way to go, SE is intended to have a negative effect on the character, and that is not the case in this concept.

Just to note:

Detect Necromantic Magic 11- (Unusual Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Sense, Telescopic: +10 (15 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (Katana; -1) (Real Cost: 4)

As to the Side Effect, it can affect the environment around the character. The reason I suggested it is that you wanted it to be outside the control of the character, which can have negative effects for the character, and the group as well. Visible (Noisy) is basically the same thing, but that isn't "Uncontrolled", so you would have to add the extra limitation. My feeling is that the Sense adder makes it "Uncontrolled". Ever try to turn off your ears. (Yes, I now you can close your eyes, but I am ignoring that. :D)

Also, I would say it HAS to be an Unusual Sense (or part of Mystic Sense Group suggested in the Ultimate Mystic). I am sure the blade would glow whatever happened to the characters sight. And what if there is Necromantic Magic that allows someone to be Invisible. Would the blade not detect such magic?

Note: if you make it past of the Sight Group it is also a Targeting Sense. So, that invisible guy would be too easy to fight.

Transmit?

And actully, now that I think about it, couldn't you just describe it as an Active sense, since Active Senses are normally detectable by others?

Active doesn't quite describe it. I don't actually want beams of Detect Energy floating around. It should be totally passive. Of course, a lot of that depends on how I build my villains, but still....

[Transmit] allows a character to transmit information similar to that which he can perceive.

Which is kind of what I'm going for. The sword can detect Necromantic Magic and "transmits" that data via a glow about the sword.

At least, I think that's what I'm trying to do. :)

The glow will get stronger the closer evil gets.

So, when evil gets really close, the sword glows really bright?

Give it extra (partially Limited) damage against what it detects: if the sword pierces any of them, it burns them (and, if they die from that strike, you can describe how a hundred cracks break out over the surface of their skin, and rays of incredibly bright light are shining from within, before the victim explodes), and if any of them try to pick it up, they get burned just for touching it (NND: defense is, uh, not touching the sword? :stupid:).

Keep this only at touch range, of course (when they lay hands on the blade or he sheaths it inside their flesh), so it doesn't burn him while he's wielding it. This would add another category to the NND, too, but it's reasonable; can pick it up with cloth or otherwise not directly make contact with it.

Mmmm...you want independent on the detect' date=' if not on the whole sword. A -2 limtiation that basically means anyone can use the detect and it functions independently of the character. If you did that I would make it ranged though.[/quote']

Looks like Independent is already part of the write-up.

So you get a free light source when evils about to attack?

Sounds useful to me.

Maybe, maybe not. It's handy if evil ambushes you in a dark place, assuming it's an actually bright enough light to see by, but that doesn't seem to be the intention of the build.

Mostly it seems to me that it would make stealth impossible, and will draw attackers like a beacon, while the actual benifits seem pretty much wiped out.

Honestly I'd say since it's being built as an Obvious Focus for the Detect, that the glow should be covered by the "Obvious" part of the Focus, and no additional limitations or powers should be needed. Otherwise, I would suggest Side Effect: Images: Only to Create Light. Such wouldn't make seeing easier for the character, but would draw attention to them.

also, from the rules standpoint... couldn't it just be a light "triggered" by necromancy/evil/whatever? Perhaps with reduced by range? Thus, the light comes on if evil is near, but is less intense at range, and more so up close? Not sure how that'd work exactly, perhaps through change environment?

I'd also like to add that its NOT a Katana' date=' but a greatsword, and the character is not from the far east... Rapier is just assuming that because I'm asian, I can only play asian characters... =)[/quote']

I was SURE that was where you were going, but maybe that was one of the other concepts. Shrug.

You can play any race you want...as long as they are under 5' 6"! :)

I don't think I ever mentioned far east in any of the concepts, actually... but hey, its no big deal, we all wander in our minds. =)

Under 5' 6"... gotcha! Hmmm... maybe a dwarf... or a pixie... oooh, a pixie, riding a butterfly!

Hey, more power to ya!

I can line up the villains now: Praying Mantis, Tunnel Spider, Wasp, BlueBird.... :)

Man, I can just hear the jokes now as we introduce your character to the group.

I'd say it's just SFX - it's usefulness is balanced by its potential dangerousness. Your friends can see it' date=' but so can your enemies. Just like the glowing trail of fire as an SFX for Flight - an example from the book.[/quote']

That's the direction I've decided to head.

also' date=' from the rules standpoint... couldn't it just be a light "triggered" by necromancy/evil/whatever?[/quote']

Explicitly forbidden in 5ER:

The circumstance that activates a Triggered power must be easily verifiable, and cannot depend on any Senses the character does not possess - characters cannot use Trigger as a cheap way to detect phenomena they could not ordinarily perceive.

It does provide a solution, though:

(If the character wants to create a Trigger that has special Senses, he can buy these specifically for use with one Triggered power for a -2 Limitation, or with any Triggered power for a -1 Limitation.)

You might still need to buy the light, if you wanted it to be perceivable by others (the Detect would normally work only for yourself).

Perhaps with reduced by range? Thus' date=' the light comes on if evil is near, but is less intense at range, and more so up close? Not sure how that'd work exactly, perhaps through change environment?[/quote']

Sounds like an Explosion to me.

I would build the Detect in the Unusual/No Group and include the Limitation Affected As Sight Group. The glowing effect is nothing but minor SFX that balance out. On the upside, anyone able to see the glow of the sword and who knows that that signifies will know whatever is detected is nearby. On the downside, a glowing anything makes for a great target in dark areas, especially at a distance. Also, the sword need not glow enough to illuminate an area. It only needs to glow enough to be noticed.