What're the jobs in an Army?

Sociotard

What kinds of jobs would be found in an army?

Right now I'm building a small army of mounted archers (see the attached file). I think I have a good idea of what combat skills I want them to have, but I'd like to know, what individual skills would I find in camp? I set asside 6 points per man to represent things that not every unit would have. I'm not going to actually write up every man, but I'd like to know what kinds of proffesions would be a good idea to keep an army running? I just want a list of proffesion packages at around 6 points (or 3 - 9, I'm not constrictive)

Here's what I have

Quartermaster

2 SS: Logistics 11-

3 Trading 12-

2 PS: Appraise 11-

2 KS: Camp Inventory 11-

This is the guy in charge of supplies, both aquiring them and distributing them.

Scout

3 Tracking 11-

3 Stealth 12-

Batman

2 PS: Servant 11-

Apparently the servant of an officer is called a batman. I didn't know that.

Cook

2 PS: Cook 11-

2 KS: Flora & Fauna

Trainer

3 Analyze: Combat Skill 11-

2 PS: Trainer

Horse Trainer

2 PS: Horse Trainer

3 Analyze: Horses

Officer

3 Tactics 11-

3 Oratory

2 KS: Military Science

Medic

3 Paramedics 11-

2 PS: Healer 11-

2 KS: Herbalism 11-

And some obvious ones,

Bowyer = weaponsmith: Bows

Fletcher = weaponsmith: arrows

guy to make swords, lances and axes

guy to make leather armor

Any other good ones I'm missing?

Re: What're the jobs in an Army?

Military Policeman

Chaplain

Artilleryman

Sapper/Miner

Recruiter

Messenger

Bugler/drummer/piper (signals or morale)

Driver (for supplies, if the army runs its own, or for combat vehicles (chariots/wagons) if it uses them)

Engineer (probably an officer's job, with labor provided by infantry)

Don't forget the workmen.

Blacksmiths, Ferriers, Engineer (build them siege engines) along with his Carpenters.

Now, a number of jobs will be held by the same guy. An Engineer will likely be an Officer as well as probably something else.

The cook should be a fair to good butcher as well as a forager, unless the army is large enough for separate individuals in those roles. He might also be a barber, medic, and herbalist, though again those roles can and will be broken up if you have enough men.

Barber would be a strange proffession to put into a skill slot in HERO. I mean, it is is a skill, but a medieval Barber often does more harm than good, even if he is a good barber. it seems like in most fantasy fiction and rpg's that gets glossed over and the healers actually heal things.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the army I'm making is actually kind of small, basically a 144-man company, divided into 12-man squads (I like base twelve).

Barber would be a strange proffession to put into a skill slot in HERO. I mean' date=' it is is a skill, but a medieval Barber often does more harm than good, even if he is a [b']good[/b] barber. it seems like in most fantasy fiction and rpg's that gets glossed over and the healers actually heal things.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the army I'm making is actually kind of small, basically a 144-man company, divided into 12-man squads (I like base twelve).

Kind of depends on genre, time period and the historians you trust. The Greeks and Romans had some fairly good doctors, and the Chinese had some very good ones. There were also always plenty of quacks.

Barber would be a strange proffession to put into a skill slot in HERO. I mean' date=' it is is a skill, but a medieval Barber often does more harm than good, even if he is a [b']good[/b] barber. it seems like in most fantasy fiction and rpg's that gets glossed over and the healers actually heal things.

Not only barber, but perhaps Dentist too?

I'm not sure when barber and dentist came together, but a number of dentists in the old west were also barbers. Shrug.

A number of barbers were also surgeons :)

The barber's pole being a reminder of days when blood letting was common (in Europe).

And strangely enough, Bonesetter was a different profession from the Barber-surgeon, usually a sideline profession of the blacksmith (who was often the stongest man in any given group).

Frequently, ancient (and not so ancient) soldiers took their families with them campaigning. Because they would be gone so long, it was the only way to keep the family together. Plus, if the soldier died, there were plenty of guys willing to get married to the widow.

Frequently' date=' ancient (and not so ancient) soldiers took their families with them campaigning. Because they would be gone so long, it was the only way to keep the family together. Plus, if the soldier died, there were plenty of guys willing to get married to the widow.[/quote']

Beats a chastity belt I guess.