The 2006 Mopee Awards!

FenrisUlf

Re: The 2006 Mopee Awards!

You know' date=' in the recent [i']Stan Lee meets Doctor Strange[/i] they touch on that. In a backup story Impossible Man shows up in the current Marvel-verse and is shocked at everything he hears. "Wolverine and Spider-Man are in the Avengers? Thor was cloned? The FF lost the Baxter Building and broke up? Reed (CENSORED) Richards and Iron Man are trying to enslave all the heroes? AHHHHH! PETER QUESADA, YOU MONSTER! YOU'RE RAPING MY CHILDHOOD!"

Impy goes looking for Stan at the Marvel Offices and is told, "If you want to find Stan, look out in Hollywood. That's where all the real Marvel business is today." He goes and announces his desire to talk with Stan. Impy gets told to 'wait in line' (along with Thor, Black Bolt, Fin Fang Foom, Black Goliath with a giant smoking hole through his chest...) and at the end of the line, an angry Gwen Stacy. She rants at him for five hours with, "And so, just because I cheated on my boyfriend, slept with his worst enemy, and ran off to Europe to have twins, I'm now, like, the biggest whore of the Marvel Universe!" Impy can't take it and sneaks away.

Then Impy finally meets Stan and is told that change is the only good thing and someday everyone will love CIVIL WAR. (Maybe because the stuff getting produced then is even worse?)

So, is Marvel trying to make the Impossible Man into their version of Ambush Bug, now? I'm also reminded of Mxyptlik (too lazy to look up spelling) in the last Superman compilation TP I got from the library. How many 4th-wall-breaking characters do we need?

So' date=' is Marvel trying to make the Impossible Man into their version of Ambush Bug, now? I'm also reminded of Mxyptlik (too lazy to look up spelling) in the last Superman compilation TP I got from the library. How many 4th-wall-breaking characters do we need?[/quote']This wasn't 4th Wall breaking.

Marvel the Comic book company actually exists in the Marvel Universe.

It isn't mentioned often, and usually only in the more comedically oriented storylines.

Also, the Stan Lee meets... Miniseries is totally 4th wall breaking in it's premise, but it exists outside of the real Marvel Universe, it has nothing to do with Impossible Man, it has ot do with Stan getting a 5 issue series devoted to him celebrating his 65th anniversary with the company.

TB

A question inspired by my recent mention of the Impy and Stan story: at ne point, Impy goes to Xavier's Mansion and gets the lowdown on the current X-men (which sounds as confusing as all get-out) from a young girl. He then asks her, "Say, who are you anyway?"

Her response is, "It doesn't matter. I'll be killed six issues from now anyway; that's how the X-Men work now!" Have things really gotten that bad for the X-comics that the only way they can keep reader attention is by randomly killing a character every few issues?

yeah wedon only killed one person in his first run i think and brought another back to life so its a wash.

much better than new x men killed way to many people its sickening actually how many mutans can be killed by terrorists without any out pouring of grief.

not that it isn't a good book just need to stop killing people.

• 1 year later...

Hmm, anyone wat to see a thread for the 2007 Mopee Award nominees, or should we just sitck with this one thread?

For that matter, just which are the Mopee Award nominees for 2007? Civil War seems to be the big hit for 2006, even though it ran for part of this year too (I think). Maybe the Spider-Man One More Day story, or is that suited more for 2008?

So, what superhero comic stories stank up the page during 2007?

Now I'm ticked off. They killed Blue Beetle? Man, I haven't read JLI in a while; now I'm sure I don't ever want to!

In the old DC Comics game system, the GM allowed me to run Blue Beetle, as he was in the other character's point level class and I seemed to have a grasp of the character (I read all the solo series).

He was a favorite of mine- sort of "Batman-with-Spidey's sense of humor" - and to see Ted Kord bumped off in favor of some other nebbish really makes me not want to read any DC comic for a while...

Grrr! Tiger want slash!:mad:

Now I'm ticked off. They killed Blue Beetle? Man' date=' I haven't read JLI in a while; now I'm sure I don't ever [i']want[/i] to!

In the old DC Comics game system, the GM allowed me to run Blue Beetle, as he was in the other character's point level class and I seemed to have a grasp of the character (I read all the solo series).

He was a favorite of mine- sort of "Batman-with-Spidey's sense of humor" - and to see Ted Kord bumped off in favor of some other nebbish really makes me not want to read any DC comic for a while...

I know you're angry, but this is no time for Slash Fiction...:)

yeah i was ticked off about that and I still miss Ted.

on the plus side the new blue beetle is actually really good. Jaime reynes is smart funny and everything a teenage superhuman should be, limited secret identity bull and fun clever complex stories.

now i just have to decide if I'm going to start buying it monthly before issue 25 so it doesn't get canceled for another stupid book or if i risk waiting for the trades so I don't get duplicates.

Now I'm ticked off. They killed Blue Beetle? Man' date=' I haven't read JLI in a while; now I'm sure I don't ever [i']want[/i] to!

yeah i was ticked off about that and I still miss Ted.

on the plus side the new blue beetle is actually really good. Jaime reynes is smart funny and everything a teenage superhuman should be, limited secret identity bull and fun clever complex stories.

now i just have to decide if I'm going to start buying it monthly before issue 25 so it doesn't get canceled for another stupid book or if i risk waiting for the trades so I don't get duplicates.

And that's today's example of Comic Editor Dilemma. The fans say "give me characters that change, and stories that have long-lasting impact". Then, when a story implements change (like killing off a character and/or replacing him with a new one), the fans say "Why did you change that? I liked it the old way. I'll never buy your rags again!"

Civil War's ending definitely.

One More Day from Spiderman as well

And Big Barda being killed off screen.

I disagree on the Barda issue. The Death of the New Gods storyline is a murder mystery. Who's doing this, how and why is the crux of the storyline. Putting anyone's death on screen at this point blows the whole mystery, and eliminates the point of the story.

But the whole storyline may deserve a 2008 nomination for killing off a lot of great characters (Barda at the forefront) if the payoff isn't worth the loss of those characters.

I disagree on the Barda issue. The Death of the New Gods storyline is a murder mystery. Who's doing this, how and why is the crux of the storyline. Putting anyone's death on screen at this point blows the whole mystery, and eliminates the point of the story.

But the whole storyline may deserve a 2008 nomination for killing off a lot of great characters (Barda at the forefront) if the payoff isn't worth the loss of those characters.

OK, how about killing Big Barda when she was fully in costume, but putting away groceries, and her going down without a fight?

And I agree with you totally that the payoff isnt going to be worth the loss.

OK' date=' how about killing Big Barda when she was fully in costume, but putting away groceries, and her going down without a fight?[/quote']

Once again, I reserve judgment until I see the solution to the mystery. So far, they all seem to have gone down without a fight.

As for whether the payoff is worth it, I'm not a big proponent of change for the sake of change. On the other hand, I sympathize with writers and editors having to deal with the dual demands of fandom, first to have stories that matter, and have long-term ramifications that change the status quo, and second to never change anything that I personally like the way it is.

Oh man, I'm sorry this is the way you had to find out. If you want the full sad story...

Maxwell Lord shot him in the head. Max! It was one of my most hated moments in comics history.

But Enforcer's right, man. Slashfic never solved anything. ;)

As for whether the payoff is worth it' date=' I'm not a big proponent of change for the sake of change. On the other hand, I sympathize with writers and editors having to deal with the dual demands of fandom, first to have stories that matter, and have long-term ramifications that change the status quo, and second to never change anything that I personally like the way it is.[/quote']

Some changes are both drastic and very well done. Look at what Kurt Busiek did with Thunderbolts -- just about everyone I've ever spoken to in comics fandom loved the idea (though it seems to have turned to cr*p in the hands of other, later writers). And it was a very drastic change -- the Masters of Evil become good guys.

Some changes are both drastic and very well done. Look at what Kurt Busiek did with Thunderbolts -- just about everyone I've ever spoken to in comics fandom loved the idea (though it seems to have turned to cr*p in the hands of other' date=' later writers). And it was a very drastic change -- the Masters of Evil become good guys.[/quote']

Yes and no. It was an innovative idea, and it was well executed, but the characters in question were hardly longstanding pillars of the Marvel Universe with an extensive publishing history.

Compare the level of change here to, say, changing the Flash from Barry Allen to Wally West, removing Hal Jordan in favour of Kyle Rayner (and, for that matter, back again), changing Superman to an energy being, changing Spiderman's costume, killing Steve Rogers, etc. - ie actually changing a longstanding, published character. Even killing Blue Beetle Ted Kord (hardly a major player) receives huge amounts of criticism.

Sometimes, the writers get away with it - Barbara Gordon's paralysis, for example - but the knee jerk reaction of fandom most often seems to be "but they shouldn't have changed that!".

• 9 months later...