Skills a True Hero Must Have

Cardinal

Re: Skills a True Hero Must Have

I'll second what others have already said. Unless I have a movement power with position shift (and sometimes even if I do), Breakfall is often a must for me.

KS: villains or the like is a lifesaver when you might otherwise fail the rep roll.

Paramedics for the reason Bloodstone mentioned.

I've found Acting is ideal for all sorts of things. Playing Possum, calling (and making) bluffs, and, of course, protecting your secret Identity.

And Seduction 21- if you want your character to get jiggy with it to make up for your own lack of social skills in real life, where you pine forlornly over women you're too afraid to even say "Hi" to so you live vicariously through your character because the alternative is writing really tacky fanfic that....

but I digress.

;)

It's like you read my mind.

KS: Superworld - asking Dr. Destroyer who he is might earn you points for being brash and having an attitude' date=' but "He had guts" doesn't look that good on your tombstone after the bad Dr. crushes your body into the dirt for the insult.[/quote']Quote.

Fiacho: I understand you think you can take on Eurostar.

Vitas: Are they anybody important.

*Wince*If you don't remember, check out Fiacho's enraged.

What about the TRUE abilities of heroes as examplified by the Silver age Superman? Such as rescuing cats (especially kittens) from trees? The ability to recapture lost balloons and kites? Finding the parents of those same children?

Hmmm.

Detect Parent - Detect Primary Caregiver of Child Held (Abstract Phenomena; 10pts); Mental Sense Group (Range), Sense, Targeting, Tracking. 27 points.

A worthy investment for any mentalist!:thumbup:

Great ideas!

Ok, now assume for the moment that you only have 10pts to spend on the "Essential Experienced Hero Package".

My sense is that people would recommend:

2 AK: [Appropriate area of operation]

2 KS: [Metahuman World or Known Villans]

3 Breakfall

what fills the last 3pts? Stealth, Teamwork, Tactics, Persuasion? Something else?

...you only have 10pts to spend on the "Essential Experienced Hero Package".

3 Breakfall

what fills the last 3pts? Stealth, Teamwork, Tactics, Persuasion?

Instead of commiting to Breakfall, I'd offer a choice between Breakfall, Teamwork or Paramedic would be my vote for the last 6 pts.

Loner heroes could pass on the teamwork, skilled heroes could pass on the power skill, and flying/teleporting heroes could pass on the breakfall.

It depends on the hero... but any hero that can only afford 10 points for these kinds of basic skills is probably not what I would call experienced. ;)

Seriously, anyone I would call an experienced hero (built on 350+ points) would have at least 30 points in skills and very probably more. My character Sylph has 30 points in skills (including 9 in CSLs) and she's about as inexperienced as you can get. Soulbarb is intended to be an experienced heroine, and of her 300 points she has 75 in skills. (Though, interestingly enough, not Teamwork or Paramedics, as she's more of a Dark Champions lone vigilante than a silver age team-oriented sort.)

760 rep' date=' and none of it are from gamer chicks you seduced with your write-ups? I disbelieve. ;)[/quote']

No, it's true. He wouldn't have gotten anywhere with me without the use of alcohol.

Beer Goggles: +5 Seduction, fragile OAF, 8 boostable charges

:D

Great ideas!

Ok, now assume for the moment that you only have 10pts to spend on the "Essential Experienced Hero Package".

3 Breakfall

what fills the last 3pts? Stealth, Teamwork, Tactics, Persuasion? Something else?

Only 10 points? A rather unlikely assumption, but here goes...

"Essential Experience Hero Package"

2 KS: Superhuman World

3 Breakfall

3 Choose from Conversation, Criminology, Deduction, Persuasion, Power, Stealth, Streetwise, Tactics or Teamwork.

2 Choose from KS: Law, KS: Local Politics, KS: Local Underworld, KS: Own Hunted, Languages, Any Science Skills described in the Criminology section of Ultimate Skill (Provided you have Criminology).

Oh. If you're character is an experienced Superhero, then bloody well put some points in KS: Own Hunted. Be it KS: VIPER, or KS: IHA, or KS: Supervillains/KS: Green Dragon. I am so sick and tired of seeing so called "experienced" supers who still have no clue as to the tactics, abilities and even rumours around their own hunteds. Even at 8-, these people are going to feature prominently in your life!

Only 10 points? A rather unlikely assumption, but here goes...

To be honest, I chose 10 pts as an arbitrary number to create scarcity. It was an attempt to focus on those skills that people truly view as the essential skills.

I personally like lots of skills in my characters. My current main character has 60+ pts of skills, including such useful skills as KS: History and Exploits of Captain Thunder (his mentor), and he is not even intended to be an experienced hero.

That being said, Susano's version of Mr. Incredible, an experienced hero has 43 pts of skills and 22 pts of perks for the ultimate in experienced heroes.

My first ever hero, the Flame, had Detective Work, Stealth and an Overall Level. And he was a 250 pt character.

But I back the KS: Supervillains skill as these people make the papers. And if you want to get along someone needs an information gathering skill as stated like computer programming or streetwise.

Someone in the team should have Computer Programming, someone Streetwise and at least one should have first aid skill.

Tactics and Teamwork... so when you tell your fellow players how to play their characters more efficiently, the GM can't complain too much

Other Guy: I'm going to blast him again

Me: Wait, the last two blasts didn't work... put your variable advantage on armor piercing and AOE: one hex so you won't miss and will hopefully punch through his armor

GM: Umm....

Me: Oh, sorry, want me to make a tactics or teamwork roll for that? 0:-)

And KS: Supervillains and Superhuman world are awesome.... I can't tell you how often they've come in handy.

-Nate

I've found that most of my characters end up with the "Universal Scholar: 14- (only regarding topics on the following list... (-1)), just to keep the point costs down.

This allows the cahracter to have the KS: Superheroes, KS: Law Enforcement, etc, but also have things like KS: Tropical Fish and KS: Native Dances of Guatemala, that help define the character.