Skills a True Hero Must Have

Cardinal

Ok folks, I was watching the Incredibles the other night and was once again struck by how competent both Mr. Incredible and Elasti-girl were. They were cool under pressure and capable of taking on any challenge with a little thinking. So it got me to thinking, are there any skills that any super worth there salt needs to have.

Note, I am not asking what skills Mr. Incredible and Elasti-girl have, but rather, when you are making an experienced and competent hero, what skills do you make sure are on the page. Overall skill levels? Knowledge Skills? Languages?

I look forward to your feedback.

Re: Skills a True Hero Must Have

Breakfall. Definitely Breakfall. There will come a time when you will be knocked on your @$$ and it's always a good idea to be able to get back on your feet as soon as possible.

KS: Superhuman World and KS: Supervillains can go a long way too. Let's you know just who you're dealing with. And just why your 250 point minor hero should really be running away from Temblor. :angst:

Oh, oh, oh. Criminology. Because sometimes a perception roll just isn't enough. Just watch CSI a couple of times (I know it's not that realistic, but it helps) and you'll see that sometimes it helps to know something is a clue in the first place. It also helps to know what it might mean. GMs tend to be pretty light on the calls for deduction rolls, but your more likely to be allowed to make one if you've got the skills to collect all the information into one place first, and Criminology is a big help in that department.

Many different types of skills allow you a flexibility in playing that is unmatched by powers. (Okay, it's nice you have a Multipower with twenty different ultras; now help us find the villain's base Multiman!) After being a player for over two decades, my original hero is still being used! He has tons of skills such as:

KS: Skiing

WF: Swords

KS: Environmental Dangers

KS: World Politics

KS: Supervillains

KS: VIPER

Persuasion

several languages

and these are just a few. When you have so many skills, the character doesn't collapse under the weight of them. On the contrary, the charcter seems more real, more capable and experienced. The character has seen much and is in control of whatever he or she comes across; and when the time comes when something new happens, it's all the more fun.

I'll second Breakfall and KS: Metahuman World for an experienced super. Stealth is a good 'near-universal' skill as well. Sometimes you just can't go in guns blazing and expect to get anything other than bogged down or dead.

If you're going for an experienced super, especially one who's not just there to bust heads, I'd definitely plop down the points for an overall level or two. They are just too handy to pass up and reflect well on a super who's seen it all before (or at least a good chunk of it.)

I'll second Breakfall and KS: Metahuman World for an experienced super. Stealth is a good 'near-universal' skill as well. Sometimes you just can't go in guns blazing and expect to get anything other than bogged down or dead.

If you're going for an experienced super, especially one who's not just there to bust heads, I'd definitely plop down the points for an overall level or two. They are just too handy to pass up and reflect well on a super who's seen it all before (or at least a good chunk of it.)

Hell, even if your looking at point efficiency an OSL is a good buy.

For 10 points, you get an 8 point combat level (which is hideously inefficient considering that for only 1 extra point, you get a +1 to BOTH OCV and DCV by buying +3 DEX.), and you get a +1 to any skill, one at a time.

I'll second what others have already said. Unless I have a movement power with position shift (and sometimes even if I do), Breakfall is often a must for me.

KS: villains or the like is a lifesaver when you might otherwise fail the rep roll.

Paramedics for the reason Bloodstone mentioned.

I've found Acting is ideal for all sorts of things. Playing Possum, calling (and making) bluffs, and, of course, protecting your secret Identity.

And Seduction 21- if you want your character to get jiggy with it to make up for your own lack of social skills in real life, where you pine forlornly over women you're too afraid to even say "Hi" to so you live vicariously through your character because the alternative is writing really tacky fanfic that....

but I digress.

;)

Paramedics: because saving lives isn't always as straight forward as punching out bad guys.

Breakfall. Definitely Breakfall. There will come a time when you will be knocked on your @$$ and it's always a good idea to be able to get back on your feet as soon as possible.

What they said.

Ahhh... guys?

What about the TRUE abilities of heroes as examplified by the Silver age Superman? Such as rescuing cats (especially kittens) from trees? The ability to recapture lost balloons and kites? Finding the parents of those same children?

Not that awesome as powers go, but they help your social credibility no end. After a quick scan of Superboy and Superman from the late 50's and 60', I think abut 60% of his "Icon-hood" comes from the kids he's helped in the past.

Well that's not too hard. Your usual Flight and bonuses to PER help with the balloons and parents.

Rescuing kittens from trees....

75% Resistant Damage Reduction, +30 hardened rPD, and Regeneration doesn't really count as a skill, so I don't see any of the skills really helping too much. ;)

Personally, though, I have to say the following at the ones that I usually feel have to be there:

Demolitions - when you absolutely, positively, can't wait for the bomb squad.

KS: Superworld - asking Dr. Destroyer who he is might earn you points for being brash and having an attitude, but "He had guts" doesn't look that good on your tombstone after the bad Dr. crushes your body into the dirt for the insult.

Paramedics - Tired of hearing "Dammit Jim, I'm a bricklayer, not a Doctor?" No more!

KS: Whatever group is your primary nemesis - because you really, really ought to know when the VIPER agents bring out the assault blaster cannon... and when they bring out the light railgun. :help:

I'd probably add Tactics and Cramming to the list, at least for experienced supers.

Tactics, because while you might squeak by the amature leagues without it, once you're playing with the big boys, you'll learn tactics or feel the lack repeatedly in a very uncomfortable place (not the back of a volkswagen).

When you realize that tactics are a must for well cooridinated do-gooding (Avengers Assemble!), being able to reliably memorize all the aspects of The Plan is GOLDEN. When we started up our team, I was the only one with Cramming. 2 Years later and I had, IRrC, 4 "levels" of cramming, and pretty much everyone else on the team had picked up at least one with experience.

Realy really eased the problems we occasionally encountered in the early days.

"So, you're in Germany. Anyone speak German?":nonp:

KS: Superworld - asking Dr. Destroyer who he is might earn you points for being brash and having an attitude, but "He had guts" doesn't look that good on your tombstone after the bad Dr. crushes your body into the dirt for the insult.

Also good to know where you can find Doctor Drugs for a quick fix :joint:

Ignoring powers, these are all the skills, perks, etc that my most experienced character has (in no particular order):

Although not a skill, I'll mention some stats: 14 INT, 17 EG0, PRE 30

Computer Programming 15 or less

Systems Operations 15 or less

Security Systems 13 or less

Tactics 13 or less

Persuasion 15 or less

TF & Piloting 14 or less (All planes, military planes, helicopters, space shuttle)

Combat Driving 15 or less (cars)

Mechanics 13 or less (cars, boats, planes)

Weaponsmith 14 or less (All small arms, energy weapons)

Linguist (English - native)

Languages: Russian (idiomatic), French German & Chinese (very fluent)

Streetwise 15 or less

Oratory 15 or less

CK: New York, Washington DC 12 or less

PS: Skiing 14 or less

TF: Skiing

KS: Cars, boats, planes 12 or less

KS: Supervillains 14 or less

KS: Viper 12 or less

KS: World Politics 12 or less

KS: Government Officials 14 or less

KS: Environmental Dangers 12 or less

KS: Geography - Russia 12 or less

WF: Swords

I won't mention the gobs of various Levels he has, Martial Arts or Powers. I might have missed 1 or 2 skills. He is not Russian, in case you're wondering but with enough sneaking into Russia for the U.S., you pick up a few things. The variety of skills he has allows an incredible amount of versatiliy and a wide range of episodes to dive into with competence and confidence. It also gives your teammates confidence that you're entering into heroic situations they have no idea of what to do but that your team leader does. :thumbup:

#1. Teamwork

"Oops. I'm sooo sorry, Jacko. I really didn't see you standing there."

#2. AK or CK for the territory you operate in.

"Uh ... guys? I'm lost again."

#3. Some form of appropriate CSL.

"I just can't ever find the time to practice with this thing."

#4. Some form of information gathering skill: Computer Programming, Conversation, Criminology, Persuasion, Streetwise, etc.

"He got away. Does anyone have a clue where we can find him?"

#5. Paramedic

"Does anyone have a band-aid?"

Investing in two overall levels is a very good plan.

I consider acrobatics, breakfall, climbing and stealth to be the basic physical skills.

Criminology, Interogation, AK: local city, and Shadowing are critical information gathering skills. Streetwise and/or High Society should be taken as a spring board to make contacts.

AK: local city sewers and AK: local city rooftops are good adders.

Languages can be invaluable. Language ability and a 2 pt fluency in Italian, Russian, Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, Spanish and Creole covers a lot of the organized crime syndicates.

Lockpicking and Security Systems are useful to get information as well as begin the attack on a bad guy base.

Teamwork is a good skill to have when you're up against a tough villain.

Paramedic is good when the teamwork doesn't go so well.

Systems Operation and Computer Programing is increasing good to have in this high tech era. Bugging is nice as well. KS: city phone grid and/or KS: city data telecommunications network is a good skill to have to know where all those Carnivore machines are, so you can take the data that has already been conveniently collected by Homeland Security (or plant it- add Forgery to that list too).

Combat Driving & Piloting are good to have when your movement power isn't going to cut it. Unusual TFs to consider are SCUBA, skiing, and parachuting.

WF: small arms & common melee weapons are nice to fall back on when your EB fails you and you have to borrow Viper equipment.

KS's are your friend. Especially KS: metahumans, KS: criminals and KS: vigilantes

Oh, and defining a Power skill is useful even if you don't have Requires a Skill Roll, if your GM lets you do the occasional power stunt when you need a left brain solution.

While I agree that a lot of these skills are 'good to have'... I don't see a lot of them as 'essential for an experienced super.'

Supers, especially in a team setting, specialize, and rightly so. Not everyone in the team needs demolitions. A lot of these skills are skills every superteam should have on tap, or every supersleuth should have... not skills every experienced super should have, period.

Breakfall, yes -- everyone should be able to get up quick. KS: Superworld, absolutely. Stealth... a definite maybe, depends on what the scenario is. Perhaps your resident super-sleuth can handle it. Or, perhaps you need to insert your entire team covertly in order to have enough firepower on hand when you make the switch from covert to overt. Paramedics is another maybe case, and depends on how much solo work your character does. A lot of the other ones... just let your resident Bat-clone take care of it, or spread the burden amongst the team.

... And Seduction 21- if you want your character to get jiggy with it to make up for your own lack of social skills in real life, where you pine forlornly over women you're too afraid to even say "Hi" to so you live vicariously through your character because the alternative is writing really tacky fanfic that....

but I digress.

;)

Hmmm, it seems I need to rewrite some character sheets...

Teamwork. It makes a 1000 point villian possible to take down in one phase by five 600 point characters. First action: 3 blasters fire with 2 16d6 energy blasts and one 15d6 energy blast. Then 2 bricks hit a stratasperic punches at the same time sending the unconscious villian flying 15km into the sky.

Teamwork.

A few other people have said it already but for my picks of Essential Hero Skills, I will say almost always Tactics and in group play Team Work. This aids in the overcoming more powerful challenges. Add Deduction and any other “reasoning skill” for detective types, I wouldn’t call it essential but it sure feels that way for a lot of my characters. Supplemented with KS: Campaign Setting (Specialize as a necessary) and KS: Known Super Criminals to help give a hero a seasoned feel.