Odd Monster Conversions

ShinDangaioh

My Bullette write up is already overdue. Signature monster of mine, and my players will almost be disappoined if it doesn't show in early in my FH game ;)

Right now I'm giving some thought to Mind flayers ( :rolleyes: ). The psychic powers almost too easy in Hero, the problem is the whole brain-sucking ability (kinda hard to do an "instant kill" attack in Hero ).

Mind Flayers

My Bullette write up is already overdue. Signature monster of mine, and my players will almost be disappoined if it doesn't show in early in my FH game ;)

Mike Surbrook has a good write-up of a Bullette:

http://www.devermore.net/surbrook/adaptionscreatures/dnd/bulette.html

Right now I'm giving some thought to Mind flayers ( :rolleyes: ). The psychic powers almost too easy in Hero, the problem is the whole brain-sucking ability (kinda hard to do an "instant kill" attack in Hero ).

FWIW, I've been working on a mind flayer write-up myself, here's a link to my current rough draft:

http://www.hierax.com/hero/fantasy/grey/monster/illithid.pdf

I've still gotta work the bugs out of it but, basically, here's how it works: 1) the target is grabbed, 2) the tentacles cut through the skull, 3) the brain is sucked out.

1) ~ Martial Grab

2) Skull Cutting Tentacles: HKA 1d6-1 (10 Base Points); Armor Piercing (+½), Autofire (x4; +½), Inherent (+¼), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1) (+2¼; 32 Active Points); Strength Does Not Add (-½) (21 Real Points).

3) Brain Sucking Maw: HKA 3d6+1 (50 Base Points); Continuous (+1), NND (+1; no brain), Does BODY (+1) (200 Active Points); Concentration (0 dcv throughout; -?), Extra Time (Full Turn; -?), All four tentacles must have hit and grabbed first (-?), Skull Cutting Tentacles must have inflicted BODY Damage (-?), Linked to Skull Cutting Tentacles (-?).

I've based this on the fact taht the Brain Suck is supposed to kill in 1-4 D&D Rounds which equal HERO Turns:

On average, this will take your average "0-level" man-at-arms down below 0 BODY so that he starts dying the first Turn at maximum it will pretty much kill him outright. Even at a minimum it will kill a peasant in 4 Turns. [3d6+1 RKA = Minimum Effect 4 BODY, Standard Effect 10 BODY, Average Effect 11.5 BODY, Maximum Effect 19 BODY]

Using Hit Locations for this, as suggested above, a smaller HKA would suffice - and I think might just do that in my next revision.

I thought the brain sucking attack was an INT Drain (in D&D). INT Drain would work for Hero too with a really long recovery time or requiring Heal INT.

In D&D, Mind Flayers latch on with the tentacles and kill the victim in 1-4 rounds, which is what I'm trying to simulate.

But a Drain is a cool variant! I'd probably go with INT, EGO, and PRE all at once, in that case, so that it drained all of the mental abilities not just INT. Hmmm....

The problem with drain is that the character will recover from it. If part of your brain is gone its not coming back.

I would do it as a killing attack that had to follow a successful grab on the head with the tentacles. Any lasting effects could be simulated by permanent disabling.

Purple Worm

Swallowing opponent whole would be a really big grab attack, can affect all limbs and senses, with a linked HKA - teeth. And if they get down the throat, NND, can't breathe, possibly an NND killing attack for stomach acid. One worm can only 'grab' one person at a time, so for really big ones, add area of effect.

Originally posted by D-Man

The problem with drain is that the character will recover from it. If part of your brain is gone its not coming back.

I would do it as a killing attack that had to follow a successful grab on the head with the tentacles. Any lasting effects could be simulated by permanent disabling.

Yes, that is LOGICAL -- but we are talking about a D&D monster here so logic doesnt really enter into it ;)

IIRC in D&D there are no lasting effects if you are able to survive a Mind Flayers brain-suck. Either they kill you or they dont.

In the HERO System you could take the opportunity to make it more 'realistic' you could make it into a Transform: Person into Lobotomized Person, or a Drain vs INT with a Fade Rate bought down to 'not in this lifetime'. Hardly seems sporting though ;)

Re: Purple Worm

Originally posted by The Mad GM

Swallowing opponent whole would be a really big grab attack, can affect all limbs and senses, with a linked HKA - teeth. And if they get down the throat, NND, can't breathe, possibly an NND killing attack for stomach acid. One worm can only 'grab' one person at a time, so for really big ones, add area of effect.

I believe the current "thing" is to use an Entangle with a Limitation to reflect the fact that the Entangling character takes the damage done to the Entangle. Not that there's anything wrong with the Grab method; it's just that I think that Entangle (or some variant) will be used in the books...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zarglif69

look, guys, if you want to play D&D, go ahead and PLAY D&D. by using the Hero system to simulate D&D, you are eliminating Hero's greatest aspect (its versatility and flexibility). D&D SUCKS!!!! HERO RULES!!!!!

Shadow World Monster Conversions

I am currently working on conversions from ICEs Shadow World(based on Rolemaster) to Hero System.For example super-fast Shards,whose legendary leader Shar-Bu can kill with a smile or the dreaded Heralds of the Night,riding on black unicorns.If anyone already has conversions and/or package deals,you are wlecome...

a week later he recovers................

At least Im not doing Tin Shots!!!!!!!!

Hmmm IIRC the jello required a save to survive being strangled by the jello Cubes, so What I would do would be to have a 1-4d6 NND Does body, continuous, 1 recoverable charge, Side effects (dies if opponent makes his save..........)